FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

For the Summer of 2007, Reality Bites - Variety

Postby Michelle » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:16 am

Michelle
Black Belt

ABC tanked with "Fast Cars & Superstars" (4 share) and did only a bit better with "Ex-Wives Club" (5 share) and "National Bingo Night" (5). Its best news has come on Wednesday, where new celeb-impersonator show "The Next Best Thing" -- the only newbie to show a pulse so far -- has averaged an 8 share. Behind it, the second season of "American Inventor" has settled in at a solid 7 share, but is in a crowded hour with Fox's "Dance" and NBC's "Comic."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796 ... +Inventor+

Reality Keeps Fox on Top - Variety

Postby Michelle » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:18 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Among firstrun shows, Wednesday's celeb impersonator skein "The Next Best Thing" was up in its second week (2.8/9, 8.36m), while lead-out "American Inventor" put up solid numbers in its second-season bow (3.0/8, 7.90m). At 10, scripted drama "Traveler" dipped in its third episode (1.7/5, 5.30m) but was still above what the net did in the hour a year ago with "Commander in Chief."

Reality Rates on Wednesday - June 7, 2007 - Variety

Postby Michelle » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:19 am

Michelle
Black Belt

According to preliminary nationals from Nielsen, "So You Think You Can Dance" controlled the 9 o'clock hour with a 4.4 rating/12 share in adults 18-49 and 10.2 million viewers overall, on par with its strong performance of the previous week despite additional competition from ABC's returning "American Inventor" (3.0/8 in 18-49, 7.8 million viewers overall), which ran a solid second.

Postby ideagirl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

If I had to choose between Dance and AI- Dance would definately win. But luckily I don't have to choose. Thankfully someone invented TIVO.
Do you think Nielsen will ever adjust their scoring to account for TIVO?
I haven't watched any of the "tankers". Really now- Bingo! What were they thinking?

Postby Contextion » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

It doesnt make since to have two popular reality TV shows at the same time. The top executives for each channel must have a bet to see who gets the most ratings. As for the nielsen system which only polls 1% it is not statistically sound. They should use another method in which everyone could participate - like flashing phone numbers across the screen to give out good coupons. I bet more than 1% would respond.

Postby Contextion » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

I was just wondering if all the dancers get to audition with the celebrity judges or is it like AI with prescreening judges?

Postby ideagirl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:59 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

If you notice, they have a group of contestants sitting in the theatre while the judges are scoring. Remember the judges chastized the crowd for cheering for the girl that was quite heavy and round. I'm sure they audition several times just like all the other shows. Then the dancers that make it to the judges round all dance the next day. These shows get thousands of hopeful's- there is no way the judges can see everyone.