FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

A.I. Website Updates

Postby DaddyMathis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:30 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

I check the American Inventor website about 10 times a day (can you tell I'm a little anxious?). I just noticed that the schedule is posted now...we already heard but it's nice to see it confirmed. Still waiting on the exact venues.

I also noticed a new change. It seems that instead of a top 12 like last year, the judges will narrow the field to 6 contestants. Only those six will get the $50K for developing their product.

I'll put more updates on here as soon as they're posted.

Postby DaddyMathis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

Here's another change:

Last year, we saw all of the audition shows first. Then the judges narrowed it down to the semi-finalists. This year...

"Each week during the first six episodes, one winner will be chosen by a panel of judges and given fifty thousand dollars seed money to further develop and refine their product for the semi-final round."

Postby Michelle » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

What do you think will be the imppact of these changes?

Postby DaddyMathis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:58 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

I don't think showing a winner each week means anything. That's probably just in the editing, (surely it's not a winner from each city or anything like that). But having only six semi-finalists instead of twelve does change things a bit.

For one thing, six fewer people will get that $50K and extra publicity. On the other hand, it looks like all six will get a chance for America to vote on their ideas...two more than last year. I actually thought there were a couple of semi-finalists last year that would have gone farther if it were up to the voters.

Postby coolmax » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:02 pm

coolmax
Yellow Belt

I think the show will be a failure only having 6 people that get the money to develop there products. The public will be board with that idea.

Having 6 people in the final will make it interesting.

Also - NOW that we have auditioning dates, I hope American Inventor & ABC do some advertising.

Also - If they did not want to give out auditioning locations they could have given people more time to prepare.

If your auditioning in LA you have less than 30 days.
Last edited by coolmax on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:33 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Do you remember what type of advertising they did to find auditioners last time?

Does anyone have predictions for what the number of auditioners will be this time? Anyone recall what it was last time?

Postby 5rocks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Hi Michelle. To answer your question, most people that auditioned were sent a postcard from Lacey Pemberton, who is the casting director. It was her job to send out postcards to people who held patents issued from the last two years. I told her that if it wasn't for the postcard we received in October of 2005, we would have never known about the show. As far as the amount of auditioners last year, the offical count was 10,300 although I personally believe that number was higher than actual.

Pat
www.thetakeaseat.com

Postby Michelle » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hey Pat:

Thanks for the info.

I too had heard that they found the auditioners with the postcards to patent holders, the same way the invention "promotion" companies contact people. :lol: Jodi (HeadLine It) mentioned that that is the way she heard about the auditions.

Someone told be that they were expecting 50,000 to audition this year but I find that number hard to believe. Do you think that sounds reasonable?

Postby 5rocks » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:41 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Good morning Michelle,
I think 50,000 is pretty high although you never know. I just don't think they could possibly see that many people. But, that doesn't mean that many people won't show up. "Idol" has tens of thousands of people audition. Everybody gets a few seconds to make it past a casting director or producer. With a show like American Inventor, everyone getting their spot in front of a producer takes a lot of time. Jodi received the post card about the same time we did. Probably because we live in the same rural area West of Milwaukee. If too many people show up I would imagine that they will do some sort of pre-screen before the main pitch. It would be a terrible thing if some great inventions did not make it to the show because of too many people. I think there were 1,200 people in Chicago last year. It started at 8:00 a.m. and we were #71. We were done around noon and I heard that the auditions didn't end until late that night. Eric Thompson, Ed Hall, Jodi Pliszka, Paul and Donovan(Cookie Stacker) and myself all auditioned in Chicago. We waited inside of Navy Pier and I don't think anymore people would have fit. After meeting them all in Hollywood I remembered seeing them in Chicago. Out of so many people auditioning, it was amazing to see each other move on in the competition. When the judges gave us our "yes" votes, only 3 of us made it through that day. It was us, Ed Hall and Chris Mikolvsky with the Drink/Bev plate. We were all excited but nervous. We were in a room at the Los Angeles Shreraton taking a 4 hour Psych test together and none of us could talk because it was a nervous time.

Pat

Postby DaddyMathis » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

You can download the FAQ's from the American Inventor website now!

http://www.americaninventor.tv/files/AIFAQ.pdf

Here's one difference I noticed:

38. How long do the open auditions in each city last?
We will be holding auditions for one to three days, depending on number of inventions,
in each city. If selected for the next round, you should be prepared to stay in your
audition city for an additional two days.
Next