FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Will you audition for next season if there is one?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:13 pm

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 10

Give me...

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:13 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

One good, rational reason why we SHOULDN'T boycott (IF there is a) season 3? Why not fully divorce this site from acknowledging any further support or promotion for ABC's American Inventor? Why not, instead, support the idea of educating and mentoring the Next Average American Inventor (tm) about the REAL invention process and not encouraging them to audition (if there is a) next year?

At this site you can talk with people who've been in the trenches, who have inspirational histories everyone can identify with and just as much passion (I hate that word :x ) and determination as the next guy. Ask stupid questions and even ask them over in various ways, get a variety of answers and replies, pick and choose what works for you, but DO IT. The show is history, now is the time for the real hard work. This site can become more of a tool for all levels of those who have an Interest In Innovation (tm) if that is what we choose. The more people who come here, the better. We become stronger with more participation, more people start to notice. More people at this site= more than what the show will get you. Or it can become an entertainment conduit for the Innovation Curious (tm). Sure, a couple people got a door prize, but could very possibly hurt their inventions. I'll eat my hat if the Guardian Angel winds up in WalMart.

Don't rely on The Mockery of the American Spirit (tm) perpetuated by the recent British Invasion of Reality TV (tm). Let's see what can happen when determined people get together and work with their peers instead of looking to Rich British Dudes (tm) for a free ride.

Now there are some who could be considered detractors of this notion of a boycott and to them I ask, "What reasonable objection could you possibly have?" and "Doug DID mention Halon in the next sentence, which you conveniently left out."

Remember, GOOD AND RATIONAL reasons. Only serious replies, please? :wink: :arrow:

Postby mojo62 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:21 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Just to let you know, I proudly had the first "NO" vote.

Postby Road Show » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

I reluctantly voted "YES"; however, I plan on changing my mind at the last minute. :mrgreen:

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I was the one who voted the first "yes" as a goof. :?

Postby Road Show » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

BSG, dude! I can totally see you making it on the show. You can explain how your grandmother died in a bizarre mishap at a corn cob recycling facility. Then and there you decided that no one would have to suffer because of unsafe storage of corn cobs...so you invented the Cob Master 2033 (TM) which stacks corn cobs horizontally for maximum stability when stacked, as opposed the the completely random stacking that led to the avalanche that killed grannie. Good luck in your new venture.

RSG

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I would if I am free that day and I can drive to. No flight nor hotel for this matter.
I'm 50 miles from San Francisco :)

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:28 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

makeworldbetter wrote:I would if I am free that day ...

Make, what if they don't hold auditions in SF? What's going to be your backstory, that you had to drive three hundred miles to get there? :D Good luck!

Postby Michelle » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:29 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Just making it clear to everyone in case there is any doubt, if American Inventor has a season three (and we think that's a big IF), we will be featuring it on our site and not boycotting it.

We believe the show has many problems, but we do believe that it does offer terrific visibility for those who participate in it. We have concerns about the legal rights and paperwork related to the show, but by full discussion and analysis of the contracts by the inventors here, we think a well educated inventor can use American Inventor to help catapult their invention in a forum that otherwise is not available to new inventors and new invention ideas.

So BottleSlingGuy, we will not be boycotting the show.

As far as I know, they have done nothing deceptive or fraudulent enough to warrant us boycotting them. The show uses inventors and arguably features them in an unfavorable light, but as with everything in life, you don't get something for nothing.

The show is a resource and a tool. A smart and well-informed inventor can use it very effectively. Many of the show have. And as a website for inventors, we try to support and provide visibility to resources and tools, which can help individual inventors. American Inventor is far from perfect but its the only prime time television show inventors have. :)

And just to make it clear, we are not covering the American Inventor show because our site depends on it. We do not. At this point, the American Inventor show has almost no impact on this site's future success or survival. Our current popularity and the number of visitors we get are not materially impacted by the show. We only cover the show as a benefit to our inventors. In July, we had almost 750,000 visits to our website. We estimate that about 10,000 of those visits were directly related to the American Inventor show.

Thanks,

Michelle

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:43 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Ok nevermind then. 8)

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:
makeworldbetter wrote:I would if I am free that day ...

Make, what if they don't hold auditions in SF? What's going to be your backstory, that you had to drive three hundred miles to get there? :D Good luck!

Not 300 miles. But there are always exceptions.
I would also carefully looking into the invention. If an invetnion fits the show, meaning good visual effort and eye catching, then it may be more worthy the driving. Haha
Next