FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: How's this risky business idea?

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Hi Pill Memo:

I think this is a great way to promote your invention but it needs some refining.

Here are some quick thoughts. I will try to post more later.

First, I think the first page picture is really rough. Can you work on posting something more professional looking?

I would suggest you check with a lawyer or do some contest research before you make this go live. There are rules in every state and some countries, so you should limit your contest probably to the US to avoid some risks and also do some research on doing contests in various states to get a feel for this.

For example, you need a time line and dates for this contest. Your rules are not well spelled out and I am afraid you are getting to get yourself in a hassle lawsuit or just have issues you are not expecting.

Do a google search on contest rules to see what others are doing.

Scrup had done a ton of work on an invention contest idea for InventorSpot and we ultimately decided to hold off as the contest rules were something that needs to be clear and well spelled out.

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Also, I would think carefully about whether you want the contest to be on the first page of your site.

Don't you want that for your product with a separate back page for your contest?

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Like the idea...but you are going to have alot of work ahead of you. I hope you make millions from it. You probably can if you do the work upfront to set this up right and have it go viral somehow.

I look forward to the next version of your site.

Michelle

Postby jackbnimble56 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 am

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Hi Pill

I agree with Michelle regarding the picture. You need something much better and having a laptop computer as a background doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I also agree with her comments about running a contest. You REALLY need to know what you're doing before jumping in with both feet!

I'm assuming that the website is still under construction since it's pretty skimpy on content. With regard to what's there so far, the word "manipulate" is spelled incorrectly. In addition, the word "dices" does not appear to be correct because the word "dice" is a plural noun. If you only had one of them, it would be called a "die".

I like the contest idea but you may want to rethink it a bit. I think the concern might be that too many people may realize that's it's impossible to manipulate the cube in such a way that the dice would end up exactly as shown in the image. I myself see that as a cold hard fact based on my science background. As chemistry major, I was required to study thermodynamics. That topic includes the notion of something called "entropy". Simply put, entropy means the degree of disorder of any system. Processes that increase entropy are always favored by nature whereas processes that reduce entropy require energy to be expended to increase the order of something. For that reason, when you walk through a naturally occurring forest you'll NEVER see trees naturally growing in neat rows but rather, they're scattered all over the landscape.

Here's a more relevant example. Imagine that you're holding ten pennies in a neat little stack in the palm of your hand, then you toss them all straight up into the air. What do you think the chances are that they will all land back in your hand in a neat little stack? I think we all know intuitively that the answer to that is zero. I believe the same is essentially true for the dice in the cube except that they're confined by the cube itself but still, the chances are vanishingly remote.

Now having said all that, most people don't spend a lot of time studying things like thermodynamics! Yet, I think most people would know on some intuitive level that they're chances of getting all the dice perfectly aligned are slim, but that may not deter them especially if the reward is a million dollars. Here's a simple suggestion. Show the cube itself to a whole bunch of people and also show them an image of the perfectly aligned dice. Then simply ask them what they think the chances are of manipulating the cube to get the dice to appear as they do in the image. If all of them say "none" or "zero" then you may not get a lot of people interested in even trying it. If on the other hand, 1 or 2 people out 10 think they have some sort of chance then that's probably decent indication that enough people may be enticed to try it. In any event, good luck with it all. I for one will be very curious to see how this all plays out!

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby Michelle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:12 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I do like the idea of a contest or challenge. Perhaps doing something for 10000 for each winner will make more people try to compete. and you can do contest for a longer period of time.

If yo uare doing the 1 million, I would surely test it with some brainiacs. Perhaps ask and challenge some rubics cube or chess or other power brains to see if it can be solved. It may be easier that you think for some to figure out. I'd say go to MIT and have a contest for anyone to figure it out at MIT and offer a prize there and build up from it.

Postby Michelle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Whenever you have the new site up, happy to take another look.

Michelle

Postby sweetsamantha » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 pm

sweetsamantha
White Belt

He waited for a long, thought she might return, but it never happened. He went to house with a broken heart and began watching ...

Postby kalens99 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm

kalens99
White Belt

I agree with Michelle. It is important to grab your audience and draw them to the contest on the homepage but is the objective really about the contest? If so I guess you are covered.