FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

IS it possible to sell an idea fast?

Postby alexandr00 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 pm

alexandr00
White Belt

Hello everyone,
I recently came up with an idea that will make the use of a home pc easier and cheaper(in some way). I've been looking through the net the whole day if someone else had this idea or a patented it. I'm 90% sure that no one did. So the idea at the moment is unique.
I'm 18 years old. And as you may guess I cannot afford a patent + I live in Moldova(eastern Europe), corruption is very high in this country and I cannot trust a local patent.
The Question is : Is there any way to sell my idea really fast and kind of cheap?

Re: IS it possible to sell an idea fast?

Postby alexandr00 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:15 am

alexandr00
White Belt

no help on this forum... but still thanks

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:41 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Sorry about that.

To answer your question, really the only way to sell your intellectual property is to establish rights to it. In most countries other than the US, you would have to file a patent application, in order to begin claiming rights to your concept. Even if what you say is true (that no one else has had the idea or filed for a patent on it) that wouldn't be enough to establish your rights to it.

In the US, you may acquire rights by documenting your development from the time it is conceived to the time it is built. You don't necessarily need to file for a patent in order to initiate rights to it. However, the development has to take place in North America (generally speaking) in order to qualify for US rights to the intellectual property, if they are to be based on dates of invention, prototyping, etc.

If that development occurred in Moldavia, then it wouldn't count for US rights, or the eventual international rights stemming from them indirectly. In that case, you would still have to file a patent application in the United States, in order to establish ownership. Since you would need to file for a patent in your country anyway, just to get rights to your invention, I normally say you might be better off doing that there directly.

But, since you don't trust the patent office there, you may just as well have someone file it for you in the States. If you don't have the money to file the patent then you may want to consider assigning a share of it to someone who can assist you.

Postby alexandr00 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am

alexandr00
White Belt

Scrupulous wrote:Sorry about that.

To answer your question, really the only way to sell your intellectual property is to establish rights to it. In most countries other than the US, you would have to file a patent application, in order to begin claiming rights to your concept. Even if what you say is true (that no one else has had the idea or filed for a patent on it) that wouldn't be enough to establish your rights to it.

In the US, you may acquire rights by documenting your development from the time it is conceived to the time it is built. You don't necessarily need to file for a patent in order to initiate rights to it. However, the development has to take place in North America (generally speaking) in order to qualify for US rights to the intellectual property, if they are to be based on dates of invention, prototyping, etc.

If that development occurred in Moldavia, then it wouldn't count for US rights, or the eventual international rights stemming from them indirectly. In that case, you would still have to file a patent application in the United States, in order to establish ownership. Since you would need to file for a patent in your country anyway, just to get rights to your invention, I normally say you might be better off doing that there directly.

But, since you don't trust the patent office there, you may just as well have someone file it for you in the States. If you don't have the money to file the patent then you may want to consider assigning a share of it to someone who can assist you.

Thank you! This is the answer I was searching for. But now I have even more questions. I have some relatives that live in Italy and I personally have the right to live in Italy and probably I can file for an european patent. But my idea can be developed in USA or Japan rather than in EU.

New Question: Where can I find a person that can assist me with my idea? (for a share of it of course)

Once again, thank you for your help!

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

You're welcome.

Just contact agents in the countries you are considering, and ask them if they would be interested in filing your patent application on a contingency basis. You will probably need to fully disclose the project to each one of them, in addition to the prior art that you have uncovered in your research.

I (as well as others here) might be willing to do this for you in the US. But it really depends on the merits of your project...

Postby alexandr00 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 am

alexandr00
White Belt

What are the conditions of such procedures?

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I sent you a PM...

Postby kalens99 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 pm

kalens99
White Belt

Best of luck Alexandr the fact that you can have your idea registered in the global community and have your IP rights established is great, but be careful who you choose to work with if you have someone file on your behalf. I would make sure that you have some agreement as to who the idea actually belongs to. If they file on your behalf and want the idea...

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

In case anybody else is wondering...

Yes, this would in fact be based on joint ownership by agreement. If anyone who is familiar with intellectual property can suggest a different approach, then please share.