FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Bosch Tools Dragged Into SawStop-centric Lawsuit

Postby Gizmo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Gizmo

This is amazing,,,,,,What a bunch of BS

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/edit ... op-lawsuit

Re: Bosch Tools Dragged Into SawStop-centric Lawsuit

Postby jackbnimble56 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Giz

That's the first time I heard of this whole thing. It's an interesting story and a cautionary tale. The inventor had a lot of chutspah to try and use the Consumer Product Safety Commission route. I can't fault the guy for trying but I think it was a HUGE mistake to try and get the commission to make his invention MANDATORY for what appears to be multiple types of saws?

First of all, it appears to me that this is a TABLE SAW product so to try and get the CPSC to make such a braking mechanism mandatory for all power saws is both ludicrous and naiive. Now had he lobbied the commission to require table saw manufacturers to provide such a device (or something equivalent) as an OPTION then neither he nor government regulators would be seen as over-reaching.

I might even go so far as to say that table saws that are sold to schools used to teach woodworking and cabinet making might even be required to have such a safety feature. I say this because we expect trade professionals to have a certain amount of knowledge of and repect for the tools they use. It could be argued high school students are another matter altogether however. We wouldn't expect them to have the wisdom and experience of professional contractors and I would hate to see some young kid become mained for life because on an accident in shop class that a device such as this could have prevented.

However, all that being said, I can't imagine a better way to allienate a entire group of prospective licensees than by trying to pull a governemnt end-around that's going to force some new requirement down their throats. Cooler and more rational heads should have prevailed in all of this but sadly, it appears they did not...

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Re: Bosch Tools Dragged Into SawStop-centric Lawsuit

Postby Gizmo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Gizmo

Yeah Jack the inventor/attorney got a little balls-e thinking he would be able to get the safety commision to make his product mandatory. It back fired...I would bet the Big Dog Companies in the industry like Bosch,B&D,Makita etc are working on there own version of the sawstop......They have the ability to keep the cost down,most of them have there own overseas manufacturing plants

http://www.sawstop.com/finger_saves.php