FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: One Simple Idea, by Stephen Key

Postby inventor-x » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

The answer is a simple one (1) people

Stephen keeps SPAMMING his book - that is why his posts are deleted

Postby Gizmo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Gizmo

inventor-x wrote:Hi All

The answer is a simple one (1) people

Stephen keeps SPAMMING his book - that is why his posts are deleted

inventor -x the link I posted from Stephen had nothing to do with his book.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4311
Last edited by Gizmo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jackbnimble56 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

I have to agree with Gizmo on this...

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby Let-Them-Fly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Let-Them-Fly
Yellow Belt

Hmmm... if that's the case, then ANYONE who relates helpful information that happens to have an invention or service on the market is automatically a spammer? Guess everyone should remove any personal links in their signature block as well... nevermind the Google ads on the page, just don't mention your own things, is that it?

Stephen, and Roger, offer advice and guidance from their wealth of knowledge and experience so that others may avoid pitfalls that so many have fallen into; THAT is a valuable and much needed resource that I for one, am extremely thankful for!! For their contributions to the validity of this site, they should be allowed to have anything they darn well please associated with their postings and members should be allowed to reference articles they write, WITHOUT having them pulled!!

Infact, I encourage everyone to read EVERYTHING you can soak up from Stephen Key and Roger Brown... buy their books and CD's and LEARN from the ones who've done things the hard way, and SUCCEEDED!

Postby inventor-x » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

You are allowed to promote yourself or business through your signature with a brief description & a website link.

You are allowed to promote a book in just one (1) post but when it is repeatedly posted, that is considered spamming.

Look at Rogers or Scrupulous signatures to get an Idea of what the website allows you to promote on a regular basis.

Postby StephenKey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 am

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Take control of the inventing process.

On several of the inventors’ forums I visit regularly, I’ve read many posts from frustrated, exhausted inventors. I’ve noticed a common thread throughout: the feeling that they don’t have and haven’t had any control over the inventing process. They don’t feel as though they have any control over the future of their product, over its destiny and theirs. Years have passed and they’ve realized that they’ve been waiting for someone else to do something for them. Maybe they’ve submitted their idea to contest after contest instead of calling a potential licensee himself or herself. Maybe they’ve tried to hire invention promotion firms to sell their idea. All without success.

As daunting as the process of bringing a product to market might seem, I need you to believe in a few things. First, that you can do it. And second, that the process is neither impossibly difficult nor incredibly easy. I watch student after student sign licensing contract. It does happen. But you’re going to have to help yourself. There is no one else who is going to be so passionate about your idea, so determined to see it succeed – that passion is the key to your success. Harness it. Don’t let small failures or frustrations diminish it.

The information is out there! What’s stopping you is your fear. Personally, I find waiting for someone else to decide my fate much more taxing and depressing than actively creating my own. If need be, begin working with an idea you don’t care about as much to familiarize yourself with the process. There’s a difference between being passionate about your idea and loving it so much that you’re afraid to move forward. I meet too many inventors who worry that their idea is going to be poached so much that they won’t call any companies! Their idea won’t be poached, but no one will be able to buy it in a store shelf either.

Get empowered. Start acting.

--------------
Reprinted with permission from www.allbusiness.com
---------------
Stephen Key's new book "One Simple Idea" Launches March 18th.
Award Winning Inventor Stephen Key - http://www.inventright.com
Stephen's new book "One Simple Idea" from McGraw-Hill is available in stores nationwide as well as online.

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Inventors let fear of the unknown or fear of rejection stop them from succeeding. Below is an article I wrote for IS that I believe Inventors need to take to heart and get over that fear.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/genius ... yote_12264

Granted there have been numerous Inventors throughout the ages that have helped push human progress to the next level. I want to discuss one such Inventor that has been sadly overlooked. His name is Wile E. Coyote.

Yes, I know he is a cartoon character. Yet, he has qualities we all need to emulate to be the best possible Inventor. If more of us possessed his drive and willpower who knows what levels of achievement could be reached.

If you have ever watched a Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote cartoon there is a hidden lesson to be learned. We all know that the Coyote never catches the Road Runner. That would have ended the show if he did. What I want to focus on is Wile E. Coyote's drive and creativity.

Wile E. Coyote has that special X-Factor that most Inventors lack. Wile E. Coyote has the drive to get back up and try again and again and again, no matter the odds, no matter the obstacles.

Here is a character that has been blown up, smashed, electrocuted, run over by a train, a truck, a steam roller, cut in half, set on fire, fallen from every known height, been shot out of a cannon, clung to a speeding rocket sled, tied rockets to his back, his shoes, and faced countless other dangers all to attain his goal, catching the Road Runner

Most Inventors stop at the very first road block they hit or rejection letter they receive and give up. Not Wile E. Coyote. When one attempt doesn't work out as planned he pulls himself together, dusts himself off and is back at the drawing board thinking about his next plan of attack. He is always coming up with a new way to meet the same goal. This is a major lesson for Inventors. If you hit a wall, or get a rejection, stop, evaluate why you hit the wall, what are your options, devise a new strategy and move on. Learn from your mistakes and seek a better way to get to the goal you are wanting.

Look at different Inventors in history. They all had some version of Wile E. Coyotes' X-factor. Do you think Edison made the light bulb on his first attempt or Alexander Graham Bell got the telephone right the first time. It was all trial and error, with a heavy dose of error. It is said that Edison tried over 10,000 times before he got the light bulb right. When asked about it Edison stated that he did not fail 10,000 times. He just found 10,000 ways that will not work. That has to be the ultimate optimist glass half full response in history.

Do you have the determination to try something that many times to get your end result? The common thread that ties most famous/successful Inventors together is they did not give up. Yes, they were disappointed that things didn't work out on the first attempt, but they were able to look at their failure and come back to the problem from another angle. If this new angle doesn't work they try again and again. They are constantly thinking outside the box.

Wile E. Coyote never limited himself to one option. He used his creativity to explore ever avenue available. If he failed, it only made him more determined to make the next attempt work.

That is why I think Wile E. Coyote is the poster child for determination. No matter what you throw at him he is right back at it trying again and again. He never loses hope of attaining his goal. He knows he can accomplish his goal. It just hasn't happened yet.

This attitude is one that every Inventor needs to succeed. It is very easy to get depressed about getting a "NO" and just letting everything drop. No one likes rejection. Especially when it is an idea you have that you are hoping will provide you with income. What defines you as an Inventor is your response to rejection. I am not saying just dismiss the rejection. I want you to honestly look at the rejection. Consider their comments and see if you agree or disagree with their assessment. Are there things you need to address and correct? Are you getting your inventions benefits across to the reviewer? Use these rejections to redefine and upgrade your invention to be the best it can for your next presentation.

Learning to adapt and improve are key attributes for an Inventor. The more you learn from your mistakes the fewer mistakes you will hopefully make. You will never reach perfection, but as our friend Wile E Coyote demonstrates you can't give up if you want to reach your goal.

As I always say "Dreams are accomplished by those who do, not by those that wish."
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby jackbnimble56 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Roger

I think I'm getting the Wile E. Coyote reference now... :wink:

Jack
Attachments
wile-e-coyote Annotated.jpg

Postby jackbnimble56 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

"Their idea won’t be poached, but no one will be able to buy it in a store shelf either."

Forget the store shelves! The place to be is Caesar's Palace baybee!! That's where the Magic Toob will soon be making its appearance and it's booked indefinitely!! :wink: (details to follow...)

Jack

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Gizmo wrote:
Let-Them-Fly wrote:Glad I got to read it before it vaporized!

Im glad you like it Frank, I reposted the info above and it hasnt been removed again.

Scrup do you have a clue who removed my link post yesterday ?

I do not.

I'm Ken Campbell, a registered US patent practitioner at the Affordable Patent Service.

As a forum moderator, though, any input I provide should be considered general information, and not legal advice. The ideas I express are not necessarily the opinions of InventorSpot.com or its affiliates. In general, any action taken as a result of information, analysis, or advice from any forum members on this site is ultimately the user's responsibility.
PreviousNext