FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

General Question

Postby tech1enterprises » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:55 am

tech1enterprises
White Belt

I have been an inventor since childhood and have never patented any of my ideas on account of the fact that i simply didn't know how how to go about it in a safe way, who to trust, etc. I have many idea's but i don't want my idea's to be taken by some rich corporate crook, inside man,record changers,etc. I guess i would just like to know "how can i be sure to protect my idea/s from these crooks so that a VERY SIMILIAR PRODUCT doesn't just suddenly appear at the same time that i get the patent or find that my idea was conveniently JUST RECENTLY PATENTED by someone else?"

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

First, you need to decide what do you want to do with your ideas.
Of course, do nothing is one of options as you are doing right now.
Other than that, you can make product out of them or to just license them. For both, if you want your exclusive right on them, you need to patent them.
Since one of most important requirement for patent is novelty, a Product and patent search probably is the first step to go. Find out if there is any existing product, patent or application that similar to yours. If that come out clean, then you can consider to patent them.

Re: General Question

Postby CriterionD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:53 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

tech1enterprises wrote:orporate crook, inside man,record changers,etc. I guess i would just like to know "how can i be sure to protect my idea/s from these crooks so that a VERY SIMILIAR PRODUCT doesn't just suddenly appear at the same time that i get the patent or find that my idea was conveniently JUST RECENTLY PATENTED by someone else?"

The straight answer is you remain a dreamer with no intentions to do anything with your inventions except keep them secret.

The answer you want, or should want, is: have ideas which can be protected by a meaningful patent, make sure an attorney/agent writes good claims for you, think outside of the box to add value to what you have through branding stategy or the like, and have faith that the system does work even if many things are easier said than done.