FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby normie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 pm

normie
White Belt

Not only was my patent attorney qualified and credible.. he was very easy to deal with, highly available, and extremely professional in his ethic.. He also has some 400-500 patents written and approved in the office!

I've tried alibaba and it seems they have more contacts for manufacturing, I've started emailing a few, and will see where the leads will take me! There were more manufacturers (in this line of products) on one page of Alibaba than were on the entire thomasnet site (or it was organized more logically).

if you guys are familiar, think about the marketing and buildup of fleshlight.. My campagin will be very similar, as well I will be able to create a buzz relatively quickly and get the product out there!

After reading a ton of postings here, and looking at the relative success of independent companies, it would be silly to work at licensing, when I can work at making the product and selling it myself!

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Good luck to your venture.

Postby normie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:41 pm

normie
White Belt

Thanks a lot! Hopefully I'll be able to find a manufacturer and get this thing running.. I've emailed a bunch of potential businesses, and have yet to receive a response.. if anyone has any experience in this market, I would appreciate some assistance!

Update

Postby normie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 am

normie
White Belt

I am going to try to keep this thread updated so that my process is visible by all, that it may help them find the path of least resistance.

Step 1 Concept Invention thought of, preliminary research online etc.

Step 2 search of prior art/patents @ USPTO.gov by myself

Step 3 Located Patent Attorney After searching I found Rob Nathans who for $375 did an exhaustive search and agreed to write up the patent for $2800 Great to deal with, and not insanely expensive.

Step 4 proof and revise patent drafts and drawings

Step 5 Decide if I want to lisense or manufacture (the impossibility of talking to a manufacturer to license has me going the manufacture route)

Step 6 Use Thomasnet and alibaba to find manufacturer (alibaba was more informative and helpful)

Step 7 (current step) Signed a non-disclosure with manufacturer and am beginning design and tooling phase.

If there are any questions feel free to post them here, I will do my best to answer them.

Postby Michelle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Thanks so much Normie for writing all this down for us to watch your progress and others to learn.

This is invaluable.

Curious where you patent lawyer is based?

Michelle

Postby normie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:34 pm

normie
White Belt

No problem at all..

The attorney is based in Billerica Mass. I did everything with him by phone, email and fax... he's semi-retired and does this out of his home.. But was very honest about his thoughts of my device and was very thorough and communicative during the entire process. That and his price was very reasonable!

I just did some preliminary (very rough) 3D models using google sketchup it's a pretty easy to use 3D modeling program that is FREE... I tried using blender, but it was a bit too advanced for me.. and I use Adobe Illustrator often.. I think sketchup would be better for normal inventors if they need 3D modeling..

I'll keep you posted on my progress..

Show Me The Money

Postby Mr Invention » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 am

Mr Invention
Green Belt

Here we go again with all of the advise as if this person with a new idea is a member of SCORE who just happens to spend the money that is provided to him by a corporation. Where in fact this person from what I have gathered from his post is a one person company and if that is the case, I am sure does not have deep pockets. Everything suggested in this forum is an exercise in futility if this person has very little money in order to accomplish these grandiose suggestions. Of the 500,000+ people that have contacted me over the past 40 years, 99.97% of them had NO MONEY and those that did have some money, didn't have enough money and those that did have adequate money ($10,000+) to get their product to market, wasted that money on a patent in hopes of selling or licensing the idea. This is a very nice forum but unless you have got a few ideas to market (In my case 125 products to market) you don't have a realistic idea and/or opinion of what it really takes to do the job properly without making very expensive mistakes (I have made all of the mistakes, was taken advantage of by idea promotion companies and provided with a lot misinformation when trying to get my ideas to market). I have yet to find a person that has enough money to go along with his or her idea to insure a greater chance of success versus having a limited budget from which to work from thus reducing the chances of success. I have done everything there is to do on a national and international level to increase the chances of my and my clients success with our ideas. Unfortunatlely as I have found out over the past 60 years in business, (Corporate and Private) there will always be an inherent risk factor in all business ventures and for one to think that they are going to get rich quick with an idea is only kidding themselves. I have made a lot of money and I have lost a lot of money but fortunately I have made more than I have lost. Good luck if you think good luck is going to make you successful in any business venture. P.S. Are any of the patent attorney's telling you about maintenance cost beyond the cost of the patent?

Postby lcw_trey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:06 am

lcw_trey
Yellow Belt

mr invention,
there are a million products that have come from individuals starting things up on there own. not all products have to become a worldwide success to make money. are you trying to solicite business by scaring people to come to you?

Postby normie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

normie
White Belt

Mr Invention,

Why are you looking down on me and my idea, at the same time telling me how great you are, without providing any feedback on what I am doing wrong, why I am doing it wrong, and what I should do to correct those issues and continue on to success?

Of course, according to many of your other messages on this forum, you can help me, only if I email you and ask for help! Now I am sure if I email you and ask for help, you'll require me to become a client, and take a percentage of my invention, or a nice up front fee.

Don't get me wrong, you could be the nicest guy in the world, you could feed every starving kid in the world by hand; but your post in this thread makes you look like a pompous ass!

Do I think I have a lot to learn in this process? YES

Do I think I am going to make a few mistakes along the way? YES

Do I think I am going to waste some money getting to market? YES

Do I think you are helping me or this forum in any way? NO

Do I think I will post my trials and errors here for all to see for free? YES

Do I think people who read my posts will learn from them? Some

Honestly, I would like for an admin to remove your post from my thread as it is unconstructive, and not helpful or meaningful to the thread and its contents in any way.

You may have a lot of knowledge to teach inventors the do's and don'ts of getting to market, you may want to help people, but right now, you sound and post as if you were one of those invention submission companies that ripped you off!

Cliff notes for those that want the short version: be helpful or stay out of my thread!

Warmest Regards,

Normie

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:33 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Clap, clap, clap

This is for your courage.
PreviousNext