FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby rather-be-golfing » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:08 pm

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

I had assumed that you were 'Bob' at first because the situation is usually reversed-employer screwing employee- but your lack of personal attacks kind of gave it away!
Have you suggested any kind of mediation with this guy? Once it becomes personal an outsider has to become involved. It sounds as though 'Bob' needs to understand how this process normally works and realize that he will blow this for everyone.If he is really as greedy as you say, he won't be able to get a licensing deal with anyone. No company would ever offer 30% and would most likely not even negotiate after hearing a demand like that.
You need to talk to one of the patent attorneys on the site about your rights to license or sell without his approval and vice versa.

Dave

Postby SoftOpening » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 pm

SoftOpening
White Belt

rather-be-golfing wrote:Have you suggested any kind of mediation with this guy? Once it becomes personal an outsider has to become involved.

I hadn't even thought about mediation. I have talked to a patent attorney to see what my best course of action should be at this point, but you might be onto something. Mediation could be a much more civil solution.

rather-be-golfing wrote:You need to talk to one of the patent attorneys on the site about your rights to license or sell without his approval and vice versa.

That is the part that I worry about most. It's like having an unpredictable loose cannon out there. I feel that I've got to get it under control soon or it's going to blow up in my face.

Postby rather-be-golfing » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 pm

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

Yes, I think that if an unbiased person explained to the guy that he was being offered way more than he would get from anyone else, he would change his attitude.

Did he really ask for 8 figures? That's crazy! 99% of companies would walk away in a second without sales to back that up.

He made a huge mistake in including others on the patent application. Don't get me wrong cause I think that you have been more than fair but if it was his idea, he should have applied for the patent in his name only.

I'm sure that he has a bit of a different view on how this has all happened but he really needs to give his head a shake. Don't blow the chance of a lifetime over a few extra dollars. It doesn't sound like you were treating him like an employee anymore anyway. You were basically partners....he had the idea and you came through with the money.....works for most people.

I would love to get his side of the story (obviously not on a public forum).
I have been on his side before and I am currently in negotiations with 2 large companies so I know exactly how he feels outside of the personal stuff. Yes an idea is worth money but help is required along the way and when someone shares the risk or takes it on completely, they get paid.

What the heck....PM me if you would like to discuss this further. I really need a distraction right now.................waiting for a deal!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Postby SoftOpening » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 am

SoftOpening
White Belt

rather-be-golfing wrote:Did he really ask for 8 figures? That's crazy!

Tell me about it, that was exactly what I thought!

rather-be-golfing wrote:He made a huge mistake in including others on the patent application. Don't get me wrong cause I think that you have been more than fair but if it was his idea, he should have applied for the patent in his name only.

Possibly. I knew he was the kind of guy to take advantage whenever possible, so being on the patent was my way of protecting my investment. I don't think he had enough detail to patent it yet anyway. He knew what he wanted the device to do, he just didn't know how to make it do it.

rather-be-golfing wrote:I would love to get his side of the story (obviously not on a public forum).

Me too really! I mean, I know what he has done so far from my point of view, but there is obviously someone behind the curtain feeding him these ideas.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

SoftOpening wrote:Possibly. I knew he was the kind of guy to take advantage whenever possible, so being on the patent was my way of protecting my investment. I don't think he had enough detail to patent it yet anyway. He knew what he wanted the device to do, he just didn't know how to make it do it.

My point exactly. Bob signed the application with your name on it, didn't he?
That shows his consent and there must be some kind of agreement. Talk to a lawyer and see what's best way to resolve this.
Previous