FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

garment invention: need prototype to pitch for license?

Postby mbradford » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:47 pm

mbradford
White Belt

I've got a Provisional Patent on a women's garment that I would like to license to a company. I'm not sure if it's necessary to go through the expense and time of having a prototype made or if good illustrations along with a 1 page description is sufficient.

Also, I'm concerned about having the idea stolen. Does this happen even with big, reputable companies?

Last question: Now that I've determined a company that I want to license to, how do I go about setting it up? Do you call marketing or product development and give a vague pitch over the phone? I want to be prepared before making the call so as not to expose that I really don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks so much for any information or advice regarding this process.

Postby inventor-x » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi mbradford

Stay away form Victoria's Secret, they will steal it from you.
Last edited by inventor-x on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Talk to the lady (Herrera?) who did the NaughtyKnot.

Postby StephenKey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:27 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Good question, first of all a good sell sheet might just do the trick. A drawing can work just fine, but make sure you have a one line benefit statement at the top, a sell sheet is like a billboard on a highway, you only have five seconds to understand the message. Don't throw in the kitchen sink, remember you're not selling a prototype and your not selling a patent, you're selling a benefit. In a perfect world a prototype would be great ,maybe even a you tube video of someone using your invention. Don't let fear guide you, A PPA is a great start, make sure you also have an inventor's Journal.

Postby Gizmo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Gizmo

inventor-x wrote:Hi mbradford

Stay away form Victoria's Secert, thet will steal it from you.

Didn't they steal a bra that could be worn 5 or 6 different ways ???

Postby mbradford » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm

mbradford
White Belt

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't have my sights set on them, but is there a known incident of Victoria's Secret stealing someone's design? Just curious.

Postby inventor-x » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:40 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Yes, Victoria's Secret, has stolen several patented products from Inventors.

Coolmax wrote
Licensing apparel is a dead Issue.

All big label Apparel companies & USA Apparel manufactures will not look at outside Ideas.

Hanes & Fruit of the Loom will make private label for you once you have the capital.

Nike - Forget it.

Adidas - You might get your foot in the door if you have a good contact.

I hope this helps?

Postby Gizmo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Gizmo

mbradford wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

I don't have my sights set on them, but is there a known incident of Victoria's Secret stealing someone's design? Just curious.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... ra-design/

Postby StephenKey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:06 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

These are typical stories inexperience inventor pass along. Each situation is different, there are hundreds of companies in every industry looking for ideas/inventions. Some of these companies you can call directly, tell them you are a product developer and you'd like to submit an invention. You could ask for someone in sales or marketing. When contacting large companies, sometimes it's best to contact their ad agency. There's many, many ,many ways to get your ideas/inventions to companies. I would suggest contacting the mid-size companies, are easier to work with.

Postby StephenKey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Yes , I am familiar with the lawsuit against Victoria Secret. I was on the Dr. Phil show as a licensing and inventing expert with the woman that was suing. For some reason inventors ,attorneys let fear takeover, and in this game of inventing it does happen, but I think it's rare, if you want to play in this game, it's a chance you take.
Next