FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Working Inventor Weekend Feb 22-24th in Las Vegas

Postby DrNat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am

DrNat
White Belt

Yes, we do offer them each year and depending on how popular it is, we may offer it a 2x a year and as well offer a more intensive weekend for students that want advanced coaching - we are working on a coaching program...

do you think you might make it to this weekend?
<p>Dr. Nat -- <a href="http://www.drnattherocketscientist.com/">www.DrNatTheRocketScientist.com</a> -- <a href="http://www.drnatnews.com/">www.drnatnews.com</a></p>

Postby ideagirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:13 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

I haven't entirely decided but I'm thinking not this time. I would love
to go, but just not sure about the timing.

When would NOW be the right time to go?

Postby DrNat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:50 am

DrNat
White Belt

yes, I here ya on the timing... I would say -- that there is no time like NOW to do what you LOVE and are born to be. We all tend to put off what we really want in the world... My motto is- this is not a dress rehearsal!
Hope to see you there! IT will be well worth the time and money! We have the best of the best coming and have a great and amazing community of people that really care and want to support each other. It does not get better than that!
<p>Dr. Nat -- <a href="http://www.drnattherocketscientist.com/">www.DrNatTheRocketScientist.com</a> -- <a href="http://www.drnatnews.com/">www.drnatnews.com</a></p>

Postby ideagirl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:57 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

You're right- that you have to make things happen!! I want to go!!!!
Now I just need to make a new friend on the board that is also inspired,
so we can both save on the cost of the week-end. Any one else out
there want to sign up- I'm ready if your'e ready!!

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:06 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

If you can pay $3000 admission, you don't need to share a room.

Postby ideagirl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:10 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

I'm not talking about the room- I'm talking about the discounted
fee - first person $3000, 2nd person 50% off. That way I can afford
the air and hotel.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:15 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Oh, my bad

Good luck, Let's know how it goes.

see what I can do....

Postby DrNat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:51 pm

DrNat
White Belt

I will ask Scott if there is someone in the same spot as you -- that needs a "friend" tuition situation...

Get back to you!

Just a Suggestion

Postby coolmax » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:09 pm

coolmax
Yellow Belt

It's nice that you folks are putting a workshop together for Inventors.

I would like to suggest that in the future that you give at least 60 days notice for an event like this.

60 days notice allows Inventors to make better decisions about there Involvement & committing in an event like this & would allow the Inventors to make better arrangements for motels, hotels & air fare.

You should also lower the cost to $500.00 dollars per person.

A $500.00 dollar fee to get Involved would draw more Inventors than a $3,000.00 dollar fee.

We are Inventors & most Inventors Do Not have major cash to spend.

Most Inventors are willing to pay alittle amount of money to learn something, but they are not willing to pay for something that they could get for free right here on ths website.

The only benefit I see is meeting some of the people from this website & MAYBE - MAYBE some contacts that will actually help them with starting there Inventions/products become a success.

What this website & most Inventors need help with is Investment Capital & to be more specific Angle Investors not Venture Capitalist.

Inventors enter Contest to WIN money to fund there Inventions/products & they go to Conventions looking for Licensing Agreements, Notoriety, Recognition & to make contacts for Investment Capital.

If you really want to help Inventors ~ give better notice & lower the cost.

One last suggestion, you should have Angel Investors at an event like this to Invest in Inventors Inventions/products.

Maybe have a contest among the Inventors that participate with the winning Inventors Invention/product being funded by an Angel Investor for $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 dollars with contacts & resources to help that Inventors Invention/product get to the marketplace.

If you are worried about recovering the cost of the speakers, you will by a better notice & by lowering the cost to participate & by having a contest to fund the winning Inventors Invention/product.

Admin should put it to a vote in the voting section & see how many of the almost 1900 InventorSpot.com members vote & agree with my suggestion.

Thank you for your comments, feedback and great suggestions!

Postby DrNat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:16 pm

DrNat
White Belt

Really appreciate all your thoughts and the time you took to write to us!!!

If you check the list of speakers, we have people coming from Tech Coast Angels and Pasadena Angels. So connections and introductions to Angel funding is there. Those people are Jeff Sheldon (Pasadena Angels), Mike Stuhley (President of Tech Coast Angels) and Larry Jordan (He is part of Tech Coast Angels and coaches and judges the UCI Merage Business School program, he coaches entrepreneurs at the LMU FEMBA Program, is a TCA member, he judges the GAP Program at UCLA Anderson...)

The producer of the TV invention contest, EverydayEdisons.com, Louis Foreman, will be speaking-- I visited him at their office in Charlotte - they are very helpful to inventors- even if you don't win a place on the show and they feel that they can help inventors make connection to some place like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Staples, they will. It is up to the inventor and the product the inventor creates. You might check out the casting call for the show at their site, EverydayEdisons.com. I will be at the Feb 16th casting call in San Jose... speaking...

My point in going into detail on who is coming is this- success IS always about the relationships you create -- the invention process takes connections and a community of collaborative, like-minded people. So, you are right, some of the information that inventors will get at the weekend they could read on line. Here's the difference. If just reading stuff on line was the only key to success, then there would be a lot more successful inventors, right? so how come there are so many struggling inventors?

What the weekend is about is creating connections, relationships and partnerships with people who have resources. You might take a look at Scott's film, www.PassItOnToday.com He and his partner Greg looked at the fact that they were both successful, but in very different fields... and they realized there must be a common connection... And in interviewing many successful people it was the idea of having a strong network of mentors with resources. That is the community that the WorkingInventor.com and WorkingInventorWeekend.com is creating... real-time networking with people with resources.

While it is the paradigm that inventors think their limiting issue is almost always "money" I can guarantee you that its not. Of course you may not believe that. I get that. That is why Scott is leading this weekend. He is the best example of how to get a product to market without a ton of cash... That is his specialty. Ask yourself, "If you could learn just that, would it be worth the weekend?" may be yes, may be no.

We apologize that we did not get the info to american inventor spot sooner. We did the best we could. No excuses. Just what happened. Next time we will set the date and get the info to Michelle sooner. We wish we could have - we wish life were perfect and that we were perfect- but we are not. Not to worry -- there will be many other workinginventorweekends.

Not sure where the comment about Venture Capital came from. Most Venture Capital firms won't look at an invention unless it has a company that has been up and running for several years in the black, with $500,000 in revenue... there are always exceptions... but that is why there aren't any venture capital firms coming... You are right, most inventors need Angel Funding -- but most inventors don't know what they need to do get angel funding! Hence the speakers we have!

Scott Painter has raised venture capital.... and to learn from someone like that is really special... I have heard Scott speak about being an entrepreneur and just to get to hear him speak about his process is a real treat. It is clear that not everyone is cut out to do what he does... When he started he was just like you- struggling to figure out how to get a product to market... 18 companies later... he is in the venture capital arena... Not everyone is interested in learning how he did what he did... but some people do want to set their sites on some day running a company and funding it and have an exist strategy... and that is why Scott was invited...

If you'd like to email me- I'd be happy to answer any of your other questions or try to support you in coming to the weekend. We have a few scholarships available.

Thanks again for your time and your thoughts!
Natalie and Scott

doctorofchange@earthlink.net
PreviousNext