FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

What Was the Second Invention?

Postby inventor-x » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:20 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Question About the First Invention? - The Answer Was a ROCK.

If a Rock Was the First Invention, What Was the Second Invention?

Postby Michelle » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I'd guess a spear?

Is there actually a right answer? or are whe just imagining?

Postby inventor-x » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:33 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

I just wanted to start a discussion about what people thought where the first couple inventions.

So the Second Invention would be a STICK?

STICKS & STONES - Besides tools they are also weapons.
If MAN had NO guns or knives, we will always have STICKS & STONES to fight with or use as tools.

SO I wonder what would be the THIRD Invention then?

Yes - I'm also looking for a certain answer.
My answer maybe the THIRD or FOURTH Invention.

Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I think a vessel of some sort, a bag or holding device...to carry around stuff.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:49 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

But a rock is not an invention. If I discover a way to use the rock it doesn't make the rock my invention. The invention would be the thing I was making out of the rock. The rock was the prior art. Who designed it? I'll leave that up to you. If I was using the rock as a tool it still wouldn't be an invention. If I fashioned the rock or shaped it in some way like adding a stick(handle) and whacked someone over the head I just invented the first weapon (besides our fists).

If I took the first rock and chipped away at the second rock, the first rock is a tool but not my invention. The product resulting from the process of using the first rock to chip and shape the second rock would be the invention. And if the first inventor wanted to get a patent on the process of making the resulting weapon/tool, there would most assuredly be an attorney or guru to make money off them. :lol:

I don't think the first invention would've been a weapon. I think it would've been used to hunt meat or make weapons, meaning it would've been a tool. The difference between a weapon and a tool in this instance would be that the weapon is used to defend, protect oneself or even to attack another for whatever purpose. The tool is used to MAKE the weapon. A weapon is always a tool but a tool is not always a weapon. Tools make things weapons don't.

I think food collecting and building shelter would've been the primary driver of innovation. You can eat without fighting but you can't fight without eating. You don't have to fight, well you still have to defend yourself at times, but you always have to eat. So, I'd say the first invention was a rock fashioned via another rock into a knife to cut things like animal carcasses in order to get to the meat, bones and connective tissue in order to make inventons like the spear and later the bow and arrow ultimately supporting the inventor help firms which assuredly sprang up not too long after. :!: