FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Invention & New Product Exposition June 7-10

Postby Roger Simmons » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:50 pm

Roger Simmons
White Belt

The Invention & New Product Exposition (INPEX) is going to be June 7-10, 2006 at the Pittsburgh Expo Mart in Monroe, PA.

What Is INPEX®? The Invention & New Product Exposition (INPEX®) is a unique trade show that showcases numerous inventions, new products and innovations that are available to license, market or manufacture. "The Invention Show" brings inventors and entrepreneurs together with industry representatives in one convenient forum. If you want more information, check out http://www.inventionshow.com

inventhelp

Postby Roger Brown » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I need further info to understand this since I have not attened a INPEX convention. From looking at the INPEX site I got this info

INPEX® is a service of InventHelpSM

Inventhelp is a fee paid service.

Our sister firm, the invention licensing company Intromark Incorporated, works directly with any marketers or manufacturers who express substantial interest in InventHelpSM clients' new product ideas. InventHelpSM and Intromark use several approaches in attempting to submit a new invention to industry, including contacting companies through business associations, publicity, advertising, mailings and attendance at trade shows* or seminars.

This is confusing since all the things they list above are things that the average person could do themselves without paying them a fee. I don't see anything special they do for you.

*The purpose of trade show attendance is to obtain general contacts for InventHelpSM. "The Invent Help People" do not take individual ideas to trade shows.

Now this quote conflicts with their statement in the quote above. They say they TRY to get your idea in front of interested companies through attendance at trade shows. Isn't that what INPEX is, a trade show? Sounds to me like INPEX is using Inventors to gain contacts they can use to their benefit, not the Inventors. Tell me if I am reading this wrong.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:09 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Hey Roger. You're the MAN! Great sleuthing :o

One of the real moneymakers in this whole thing are the people who "help" inventors. Everybody's making a buck off the inventor's dreams... except the inventors. I know I'm risking my relationship with AIspot, but *they're a perfect example of the popularity of the inventor help phenomenon (*edited for clarity). I'm not crying sour grapes and I'm not saying this like it's necessarily a bad thing. It's just interesting. THAT seems to be where the money is.

Take Eric for example. Where's the Catch? Isn't he working on getting it made? Granted I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but why do we hear more about the PitchCoach than the product? Or has the product become the pitch?

Even me, sort of. Indirectly, I'm trying to help inventors in order to gain exposure and create a buzz about my bottle slings. Oh my God, I'm one of them! :oops:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :twisted:
Last edited by bottleslingguy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Being an Inventor

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:43 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Part of being an Inventor is being able to sell ourself and your idea. You can have a wonderful idea, but if you are unable to convey that idea to someone you are limited in your success.
That is why I always tell Inventors to practice their pitch and get it down to under a minute. If it takes you longer than a minute to explain your idea, either your pitch needs a lot of work or your idea is so complicated the average person won't understand it.
Look at the back cover of a novel. They have condensed a 400 page book down into 2 paragraphs. This is the teaser to hook you to want to know more and buy the book. That is how you shoud aproach your pitch. Your pitch is just as important as your idea. If you sound like you don't have confidence in your product why should a potential investor or company?
Watch infocommercials. They are masters at the pitch. They make you think you have to have this product or your life just won't be complete.
You will always see items in the store and say "How in the world did they get someone to produce that?" Obviously a great pitch.
Practice your pitch until you can give it without thinking. The more natural it sounds the better. You can tell when someone is trying to hard.

Postby Michelle » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:10 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

BottleSling:

Am I reading your comments correctly?

Please explaing to me HOW AISpot IS MAKING MONEY OFF OF INVENTORS???!!!!

If you think we've been making money from our effort to provide information and services to the inventor, you are SERIOUSLY mistaken.

Right now, the only thing we make revenues on is advertising. Since the high paying ads are all from scam companies, which we block, we get very little return for our efforts. So instead of getting for example $5,00 for an inventor clicking on an invention scam company google ad, we get $.05 per click. It is barely enough cover the minimal out of pocket expenses we have to keep the site going.

We barely cover costs ..and if you count the manhours we put into this effort, we are bleeding money to keep this site going.

Do you think all the features we have been building cost nothing? This is not some simple little blog site that we get for free. Everything here has been built using hours of expensive technical manpower. And all the stuff we are building right now for YOU takes money to build.

Why do we continue?

AISpot was created by Think, an inventor who was sick of how inventors were constantly taken advantage of. He wanted to have a site that inventors could feel at home in where they did not have to fear that they are being scammed somehow. This is his vision.

We provide everything for inventors for free.

The only thing we ask for (and NOT EVEN REQUIRE) is a link to our site. This link helps everyone as they improve our ranking (which helps inventors getting linked by a high PR Ranking site like ours).
Oh, and we also ask people to join in and help out others in the inventor community.

I don't think anyone who has dealt with us can say that we have been anything but honest, fair and generous. If you feel otherwise, please detail and share how you have been wronged.

What have we asked from you?

Here's the facts:
The active inventor audience is not large enough to support a website living off of people clicking on advertising like ours. So for us, the overwhelming percentage of our advertising revenues come from general interest articles. ALL the inventor related stuff is a pure "give" to the inventor community.

I won't go slamming other sites but I think our site is special. I can show you site after site after site asking inventors to pay outrageous amount for thing we provide for free. Do you realize that it actually costs us money out-of-pocket to provide and support these free features?

We have no other intention or goal than to try to build a loyal base of readers, and have enough visitor on our site by providing great unique content, that at some point, the advertising dollars (by those visiting our advertisers) will cover the costs of continuing this venture.

There have a few of you who have gone out of your ways to be helpful, and for that, we are truly appreciative. But the vast majority of inventors come put up their invention for free in our gallery, refuse to link to us, complain they want more for free, then come back only once every few months (not to participate or join in), but to ask for a free article or something else from us.

If we keep on giving, will the inventor community at some point give back? Will the experience of having been screwed by others make inventors really appreciate and value us? Or will inventors take advantage of us and keep using us?

I don't know. I am pretty tired today and reading these types of comments makes me feel like shutting this stupid site down.

If you think we are unfairly making money off of you and taking advantage of inventors somehow, again, please explain how we are doing that?

Also, if you or anyone else feel ripped off by being a part of our site, PLEASE just stop coming to our site.

Michelle

:evil:

Postby Michelle » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Here's an interesting question.

I will point to the donate button on our site. It has NEVER been used by anyone to support what this site is doing or trying to create.

http://www.americaninventorspot.com/supportsite

Would inventors actually pay money to help build a site that tries to provide value with out ripping them off? Or is the only way to provide anything helpful to inventors require astronomical fees and service charges?

Come on, even the non-profit inventor organizations ask for money to join. What do we ask for? A little respect and appreciation too much?

I'll report back in a week and give you an update on generous donations (or none) of the inventors we try so hard to support.

If this not sounds cranky, forgive me but I am feeling pretty steamed right now.

Michelle

Rip Off

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I can tell you neither Michelle or anyone affilated with this site has asked for any money from me. They have always gone out of their way to help me and suggest options I may not have considered. I strongly agree that there are more sites out there than you can count working day and night to rip off the Inventor. This site is not one of them.
They have had ample opportunity to charge a subscription fee for access to certain features. They could even sell your email to the spammers for a good price since they are all active accounts.
I understand the cost of running a business. So, I don't mind the ads. When I pointed out a ad that was from a rip off company to Michelle it was blocked that day. If you read any of the posts Michelle writes you will see she tries to warn you about scams and ripoofs. She even asks for our help as a community to point out any that we know of so others vcan avoid them. If this site was wanting to screw you they would guide you to those sites, not away from them.
This is the first Inventor website that I have felt comfortable recommending to other Inventors to use. I do post on some ofthe Invebtor sites, but mainly to warn them of the scams I see that site running.
Be thankful for the work they do and the knowledge they provide free of charge. I want to see this site become the premire site for Inventors to have a honest discussion and help each other. It can be that and more if we all contribute to it.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:37 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

:shock: !!! Ouch!

First of all, I want to know why Roger is a yellow belt and I'm only a white belt? I've been here waaay longer than him. What's the criteria for this belt status thingy? :?

Secondly, Michelle, the last thing I want to do is make you guys out to be something you're not. I never said you guys were ripping off inventors. I even said I'm using the site for my own self-promotion by giving advice and sharing my experiences to inventors. This site (as I've said before) is a godsend. It's invaluable to struggling inventors, me included. I am eternally greatful for this opportunity AND acknowledge what a deal it is. You CAN'T FIND A DEAL LIKE THIS ANYWHERE ELSE! The time and effort put into this undertaking is commendable.

What I was saying was that this whole inventor help phenomenon is interesting to me. I said it wasn't all a bad thing, it's just interesting. Maybe this is the key? Maybe inventor guild-type communal support is what we need? Keep in mind, it won't make a poor invention better than it is but it can be an invaluable teaching tool and source of peer support.

I meant no bad intentions and even added a caveat that I was afraid of hurting our relationship (me and AIspot), but I am not one to turn a blind eye when something catches it. I find it easy to believe a group would have a bogus licensing show, but it's hard to believe a website like this one, which charges nothing to promote your product, is trying to take advantage of vulnerable inventors.

I don't think Eric is taking advantage of people either. It's just interesting to me how his emphasis changed from the Catch to the Pitch. I think, if folks choose to pay money for his services (or anybody else's for that matter) it is not a bad thing. As long as they are satisfied, but there's the rub; it's all very subjective and there's nothing tangible about it. Or is there?

Anyone care to talk more about it? :cry:

Website

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

First your interpetation of WAAAY longer is interesting. You jioned 7 days prior to me. That is not a long time to me. The reason I am a yellow belt and you are white would be due to the ammount of posts I have contributed to this site versus the amount you have. I do not know the breakdown of each level but as you can see Michelle is a green belt and she has 212 posts. She has not attained the coveted Black Belt status yet either.

You mentioned if Erik pitch is now the invention. That could be quite true. If you think about it he can probably get more monetary reward doing guest appearances and talking about his experiences on American Inventor while still working on his product. Plus, the more exposure he has the more it helps his product. So, he can double dip and see profit on both ends.
Think about it. If you wrote a book and went on tour you are promoting yourself and helping sales at the same time. Plus, they are paying you to show up. Who would turn down that opprotunity. I see Erik as a smart businessman taking advantage of his celebrity while he is hot.
As we all know fame is fleeting and tomorrow you can be off the radar.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:36 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

It's actually been 49 weeks and three days to be exact. Counting posts here in the forum, sure you have more, but I've contributed many more than that at the comment sections on the home page. Michelle even said people joke about how ubiquitous I've been in contributing my nonsense. :P

The way things are going though I may not be around much longer. :cry:

I just went back in time and found this:

Bottleslingguy (not verified) | Mar 18, 2006 00:09 | Reject episodes

"I read somewhere the next four (I think) episodes will be one hour of what we saw last night."

I'm sure there were others from when I posted under anonymous but I'll let it stand as starting at the point when I started using the name BSG. I may have even been here before Michelle.
Next