FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

The 2006 Licensing International Show is June 20-22 at the J

Postby thinkoutsidethecircle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 pm

thinkoutsidethecircle
Site Admin

For all of you trying to figure out how to license your invention. This maybe particularly interesting to you. Licensing International is the premier annual trade event for the licensing industry where owners and agents of intellectual properties showcase their brands to 23,000+ high-profile retailers, licensees, and promotional partners. You'll sign exclusive
deals, strategize with retailers, solidify promotional partnerships, and network with an unparalleled community of licensing professionals from around the world.

It is happening June 20-22, 2006 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. To find out more about the Licensing Show go to www.licensingshow.com

Re: The 2006 Licensing International Show is June 20-22 at t

Postby Rodney Long » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:26 pm

Rodney Long
White Belt

thinkoutsidethecircle wrote:For all of you trying to figure out how to license your invention. This maybe particularly interesting to you. Licensing International is the premier annual trade event for the licensing industry where owners and agents of intellectual properties showcase their brands to 23,000+ high-profile retailers, licensees, and promotional partners. You'll sign exclusive
deals, strategize with retailers, solidify promotional partnerships, and network with an unparalleled community of licensing professionals from around the world.

It is happening June 20-22, 2006 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. To find out more about the Licensing Show go to www.licensingshow.com

Ok how many licensing deals were signed last year at this show ??????

Postby Michelle » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:46 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I don't think anyone on our team knows, but you sound skeptical. Is this an overall general licensing show skepticism or are you skeptical about this one in particular?

SHare your knowledge!!

Michelle
AmericanInventorSPot.com Team

Postby Rodney Long » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:18 am

Rodney Long
White Belt

Michelle wrote:I don't think anyone on our team knows, but you sound skeptical. Is this an overall general licensing show skepticism or are you skeptical about this one in particular?

SHare your knowledge!!

Michelle
AmericanInventorSPot.com Team

Yes I am very skeptical, the reason is simple, most manufactures , 99.999% of them, would never go to such a show. It is a total waste of their time. The reasons are many but at the top of the list, there would be few inventions for their particular market. There are thousands of different markets, one show would not be able to have a good selection for each market.

Another reason is,, there are very, very, very, few companies that actively seek inventions from independents, I could write a book on all the reasons why they don't.

I've seen inventor shows, I've been to inventor shows, 90% of the people that go to them are inventors, most have paid huge sums for booth space with promises of being able to show their inventions to manufacturers, but no manufacturers show up that are in "their" market. sure most of these shows get one, or two manufacturers to show. Only the inventions that fall into these manufacturer's markets are even considered by them.

I have never heard of a single license getting done from one of these shows, yet tens of thousands of inventors have paid thousands of dollars in the hope of getting a licensing deal. These shows are huge money makers for those that sponsor them, with them making that money from the backs of struggling inventors.

These shows are also full of people ready to rip off the inventors even more, they call themselves licening agents

If an inventor really wants to get his invention in front of those in his market, don't waste your time with an inventor show, instead go to a wholesale national "market" show, that's in your inventions market, and don't get a booth, instead walk around and meet the CEO's and head marketing people for each manufacturer in your market. Tell them your an independent "product designer" in their market, Trade business cards, open doors, make friends, don't try to show your invention to them unless they ask you to, instead call and email them later.

I personally have licensed three inventions from shows like this, I'm just one inventor, I would bet there have not been three licensing deals made from all the inventors shows in the country, in 5 years, by thousands of inventors

Postby idie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:23 am

idie
White Belt

Ohh, this is really great advice. Thanks so much. I was wondering how these worked and now I know.

Thanks again,

Idie