FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Road Show » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:51 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Scrup,

You seem to be quite worked up over this. LOL!

Here is the complete rule from the Ruckus Nation .pdf:
7. Assignment of Rights -- All Entrants
7.1. By entering Ruckus Nation, you grant HopeLab and its assigns a limited right to use your Entry,
the ideas, works of authorship and inventions described in your Entry and your personal
identification information for purposes of conducting Ruckus Nation, judging your Entry and
awarding any prizes.
7.2. By entering Ruckus Nation, you grant HopeLab and its assigns an option to acquire a
perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, transferable, non-exclusive, world-wide right and
license to any ideas, works of authorship or inventions described in your Entry. This option will
expire one year from the date when Ruckus Nation Category Winners are announced. If
HopeLab or its assigns chooses to exercise such option, HopeLab or its assigns will pay the
Team Leader $250 USD.

7.2.1. The Team Leader is responsible for determining how to split the option payment among
the Team Members.
7.2.2. In the event that the Team Leader is unable to split the option payment (or HopeLab
believes that the Team Leader is unable to do so), HopeLab reserves the right, in its
sole discretion, to split the option payment evenly among Team Members or otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned, Ruckus Nation will be forced to negotiate "in good faith" for the actual terms of the licensing contract they expect to enter into with the entrant once they've paid what they refer to (3 times) in their own rules as an "option payment."

Whether Richard realizes this or not will make for some interesting drama in the upcoming year.

Here is Richard when he learns that he must pay royalties of 3-5% on the fair wholesale market value of product manufactured from a contest idea:
:arrow: :shock: :!:

:wink:

RSG

BTW...I'm glad you like my Moai...I'm the one in the raincoat!

invention

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:15 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I would like answers to my post on the previous page.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:36 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Road Show wrote:...I'm glad you like my Moai...I'm the one in the raincoat!

Heh! I figured that was you. :)

Yeah, I'm a little irritated by this Richard Tate character. My concern is that he knows exactly what he's trying to pull. He's obviously not dumb. Yet he continually overlooks the indications that he is mistaken.

That is a big red banner, saying "The potential misinterpretation is intentional and it will be used somehow to the advantage of Ruckus Nation."

You don't just show up as a rep for the contest and pretend you don't know the answers for the most important aspects. Right now, we would have no sensible choice but to read between the lines, and assume that their intent is to trick some inventors into willingly entering an agreement, only because they later think they have to.

My guess is that they are relying on some loophole that had been established earlier in some other vague 'contest' (maybe not by them).

Re: invention

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:06 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Roger Brown wrote:I would like answers to my post on the previous page.

Hmm. They seem to have no interest in damage control ...not a good sign.

IMHO it's a quick fix: Support and honor the wording, then explicitly give every benefit of the doubts to the participants.

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:20 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I mean, don't get me wrong.

The spirit of this contest seems to be commendable.

But, because of that, it's extra-important for the promoters to take steps to avoid printing or saying anything that might be taken as intentionally deceptive.

And with Mr. Tate's comments, they don't appear to have even gone that far.

Postby Richard Tate of HopeLab » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Richard Tate of HopeLab
White Belt

Hi, folks -- thanks again for your comments. We've put a good deal of thought into the wording of our rules and do indeed stand by them. I've been transparent about our goals for Ruckus Nation and the interests of HopeLab as a nonprofit organization. Still, I respect that others may disagree with our approach and will choose not to participate in our competition.

Again, anyone who does choose to participate in Ruckus Nation should read the rules for themselves and seek legal guidance if they have any questions or concerns regarding interpretation of the rules language. Best of luck to you all!

contest

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:52 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Richard Tate of HopeLab Wrote:

Again, anyone who does choose to participate in Ruckus Nation should read the rules for themselves and seek legal guidance if they have any questions or concerns regarding interpretation of the rules language. Best of luck to you all!

I would take that as the typical "Buyer Beware"

I would also ask if you are the same Richard Tate who owns the Cranium toy company?
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Richard Tate of HopeLab wrote:Again, anyone who does choose to participate in Ruckus Nation should read the rules for themselves and seek legal guidance if they have any questions or concerns regarding interpretation of the rules language. Best of luck to you all!

We already have a legal interpretation of the rules!!!

What are you, some kinda crook???!!!

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Scrupulous wrote:...But, because of that, it's extra-important for the promoters to take steps to avoid printing or saying anything that might be taken as intentionally deceptive.

...and with kids, NO LESS!!!

Postby Road Show » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

I think Richard really misses the point of this entire dialog. Perhaps he is offended to have his intentions called into question, but the old adage "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" did not come about without just cause.

How many times have we heard that the director of a charitable cause, or the pastor of a church, or some other "beyond reproach" type, was caught with their hands in the cookie jar? Frankly, I'm tired of it. There is NOTHING wrong with being given fair and adequate compensation for one's efforts; it is when money or position place the virtuous soul in a situation whereby one's character is tested that we find the true nature of the individual. Oscar Wilde said," The world's greatest vice is a virtue untested." Having no prior knowledge of Richard Tate, save that he has a namesake who owns a well known toy company or that he is THAT Richard Tate (per Roger Brown), I would like to offer the following hypothetical scenario:

Suppose that HopeLab succeeds in finding The Absolute Best Teen Fitness Product in the World through the "Ruckus Nation" competition. What options would be available to the directors of HopeLab? As a non-profit organization, they are bound by rules meant to curb abuses of tax law; however, there is nothing that curbs the amount of money they can generate through the sale of product into the "for profit" marketplace, and through donations received to further the objectives of the organization. There is NOTHING to prevent anyone associated with HopeLab from benefiting handsomely from a wildly successful product introduction. Any desire to hide earnings is easily accomplished by selling product to another entity owned by one of the organization's members, and distributing the profits to the desired recipients.

Do I sound a little jaded? You bet, but the reasons are the result of lessons we've all learned over the course of our lives. My heart says the chances are better that this is legit, but my mind says, "Don't be naive, dumba$$, if this were on the up and up, Richard would have addressed, unabashedly, all of the issues brought up in this discussion." I really feel like they are searching for the needle-in-the-haystack, but don't have the humility to realize that there are creative and brilliant people out here who deserve to share in the success Richard Tate hopes to find with Ruckus Nation.

RSG
PreviousNext