FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

American Inventor show

Postby Roger Brown » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I talked with Doug Hall from AI and he agreed that if you watched the show everyone who made it to the final taping all had tragic stories. One was about to lose his home. The winner lost his daughter to a car crash, which prompted his invention. Another was about to go bankrupt. The guy with the game had sunk his life's savings into it. It was either make it or he was broke. Another sold his wifes wedding ring to finance his invention. Even the young boy with the bike had a story. He was brought here at the age of 12 and taught himself english and was working two jobs to try and finish college.
So, unless you have a good sob story to go with your invention your chances of getting to the final twelve is slim.

Postby Road Show » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:15 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Roger, I was reading a post or two of yours, then went to your website. It was your 'spin' on inventing and licensing that is making me reconsider doing the AI show. I was concerned about going on the show without a provisional patent filing, but then that forces me into having a formal utility patent ready in one year. The other difficulty is taking the time to actually do the show if one succeeds in getting to the final 12.

Sob stories are not what real inventing is all about, but it is what will attract viewers. I have what I consider to be an inspirational story, but if I do go on the show, and they expect me to cry like a baby...forget it. I'll keep my dignity, they can keep their money. HA! :)

Postby DaddyMathis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:31 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

LAST CHANCE! Today is the last day to enter the Modern Marvels/Invent Now contest, (they moved the deadline back from the 20th). Just in case anyone is interested.

I'll be nervous and jittery until they contact the semi-finalists in the middle of January.

Postby Michelle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I had the biggest problem with the sob story aspect of the show. We complained about it all the time.

The whole point is that I believe Inventors are smarter and more resourceful people than the average person. SO, its not about the sad story, it's about figuring out smarter ways of doing things...including getting their inventions to market.

I think that's what the show should look for and reward, being inventive and resourceful and ingenious.

Michelle

Postby DaddyMathis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:18 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

Resourcefulness.....good point.

Unless you're inventing something that is completely out of this world, there are probably other products with similar parts that you could use in your invention...without having to have custom parts made for a prototype. My invention is pretty complex but I still used several off-the-shelf parts and even a piece of my paintball gun!(my idea has nothing to do with guns)

That's part of the reason I entered Modern Marvels. They seem to be more interested in "real" inventors than sob stories and gimmicks.

Various Inventor Shows

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:21 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

All believe you can gain good insight and information from watching the different Inventor shows. Alaways remember especially with AI show it is more about the entertainment factor than the invention.
I am waiting to see the Everyday Edisons show. A friend of mine made the final cut and will be on the show. They seem to be more interested in the invention and showing the actual process to get an idea from start to finish. That is what Inventors need. Not a dancing with the stars type competition.
I want to see Inventors get inspired to create, not go bankrupt paying outrageous fees to scam companies.

Postby Alexis » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Alexis
White Belt

How can Everyday Edisons already be picking finalists when they still have two more cities to audition inventors. Do you know if they are picking a certain number from each city.

Alexis

BTW - I try to list any of the inventor related contests in our Inventor Calendar- http://www.americaninventorspot.com/inventor_calendar

Everyday Edisons show

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Look at athe cover for Iventors Digests magazine. It shows 12 people. That is only the first grouping. My friend is in the second grouping. They are still filiming in Charlotte, NC.
One have to remember by the time you see the show they may have already finished filming.
Previous