FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Big Idea Contest in the United Kingdom

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:50 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Tim Whitney has written two articles about the Big Idea - the American Inventor show as presented in the UK.

http://www.americaninventorspot.com/ame ... tish_style

http://www.americaninventorspot.com/and ... _the_uk_is

Did anyone get to catch the show?

We welcome our fellow inventors and fans of the show to come and visit and stay awhile.

Sideways Bike on The Big Idea show

Postby sidewaysbike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:43 am

sidewaysbike
White Belt

I participated in The Big Idea show in London.

Michael Killian

http://www.sidewaysbike.com

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hi Micheal!!

Welcome to the site.

What did you think of the whole process for the Big Idea? How far along did you make it through the auditions?

I am curious as to what you would suggest to the producers to do differently next time?

In the US, all it was was a total sob story, where they seemed to focus more on how har dlife was for the inventor than on whether their ideas were good and whether they would work.

I hated that.

Postby idie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 am

idie
White Belt

Wow, hi Micheal:

I am so glad to have someone from the Big Idea here.

I am waiting to audition for American Inventor here in the US....but I am looking for any advice and tips on how to do better on the show and to become a finalist.

Any ideas you can share for what you did right and what you would do differently in auditioning? I know there are different shows but my thinking is that at the end, all these shows are all the same.

You have a good idea and you have to present it well? Right?

Idie
Last edited by idie on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sidewaysbike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 am

sidewaysbike
White Belt

Hi Michelle,

it was a good show.
The inventors were treated fairly reasonable (its still TV).

I have some video of my TV appeareance here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1bZwFwDaHk

Michael Killian

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 am

Michelle
Black Belt

We had looked for a writer to cover Big Idea from the Uk but had done a bad job of advertising that we wanted to cover it. Maybe someone would be interested in blogging about it for next year. ANYBODY?

I wonder if you or any of the other contestants would be interested in writing as a guest blogger and writing about their experiences for our readers.

Dif you agree with the winner winning? I am curious as to public sentiment that was not covered by the media.

Were there several favorites? Was the relationship between the contestants good?

We had a really tight group of Finalists for the American Inventor finals. They ended up blogging on our site and it was neat to see how well most of them got along.

Hi Michael

Postby Alexis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 am

Alexis
White Belt

I'm curious how long the entire Big Idea contest took? I think from start to finish, the American Inventor TV show took about six months.

How did all the finalists get a long?

I've heard from a lot inventors that have gone through contests, that you create a bond with the other contestants.

Alexis :D

Postby sidewaysbike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:53 am

sidewaysbike
White Belt

There were 4 days of Auditions (first two weeks of September).
Anybody could audition and I believe they got about 300 people or so.
I know that last year's American Inventor had about 2,000 applicants.
You were told by the end of day on the day you auditioned if you were in or out.

The semi finals were taped in London in early October.
All the inventors I met were glad of the TV exposure and were anxious to do well. As with anything for TV. There is soo much film footage that you and your invention can easily be edited out.

The whole experience was like trying to balance on the end of a pin.
All of a sudden its over and you cannot control anything.

I, personally am pleased to have been involved and I would recommend
any of these invention shows to any inventor.

Postby Alexis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 am

Alexis
White Belt

TV - good and bad. Great exposure but you never know what they are going to air.

That was one of the problems with the American Inventor TV show in the first season. A lot of the great inventions were cut from airing. AI had people that were in the top 50 finalists with brilliant products that never had any airtime. At the same time, ABC aired people who did not even make it past the first cut getting tons of air time. I guess that ABC thought it would get better ratings if they did that.

Postby David » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:02 am

David
White Belt

HELLO USA!

My name is David.

My wife and I invented the Poteez (PCT/GB2006/000685)

We got through to the semi finals on The Big Idea but were unfortunate to come up against Julian and his Cyclaire (no grudge held - he is a great bloke and Ive even been out and got one myself!)

Our Poteez is a coated sheet of flat card which is cut and creased to allow the parent to make up a potty within seconds. For use in the car, to avoid public toilets, camping or anywhere really! No mess no fuss just simply use it seal it and bin it! They are not only bio degradable but also made from recycled board.

The idea came from the fact that we both hated cleaning stinking potties and the only other potties we could find were travel potties which involved a plastic bag - not a good idea for kids! Even the potty liners meant carrying a potty in the car - we wanted one that was universal to use and 100% clean every time!

Since the show we have been overwhelmed with enquiries and suggestions. Our patent also covers an adult version, usefull for long distance drivers, camping, music festivals, hospitals and people suffering from IBS, Chrones or Colitis.

Check out our website for the full details www.poteez.com there is a nice picture of the wife with our daughter Thalia who was the inspiration for the product. There is also a video instruction bit which serves a purpose but is a bit rubbishy.

I'd be really pleased to hear what you all think as the USA is one of the places I think the Poteez will do really well so if there are any entrepreneurs out there that would like to licence the product send me an email (link on the site) and Ill give you the facts and figures!

Can I also just say that it is so nice to be able to do this and share our idea with fellow inventors thousands of miles away!
Next