FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Create the Future - Design Contest

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:24 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

SolidWorks has teamed up with NASA for a simple yet interesting challenge.

http://www.createthefuturecontest.com/

I just found out about this, and the deadline is October 15, 2007.

Not much time, I know. If nothing else, I figure it's worth mentioning for those who may already have a project off the ground (or a digital solid model that they'd like to show off) and would like some additional exposure. (The entries stay posted thru the end of the year.)

Hey, there's a T-shirt in it for every qualifying contestant, and it looks like they may hold the contest every year.

Unlike some of the other inventor contests we've seen here in the past, this one seems to be legit. :wink:

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

It also looks like an excellent place to make a Proactive Publication of your invention.

Postby X900BattleApple » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 pm

X900BattleApple
White Belt

Interesting contest. What makes this one more "legit" than say Ruckus Nation's contest?

Postby Work2XL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I quickly read the rules to the "future" contest. I didn't see anywhere that said once you enter their contest they now own your idea. A software patent can run $25,000+ My project is looking at a min of 3 US patents. That is not even considering min 8 overseas patents I will be pursuing after launch that can be considerably more expensive. If I entered Ruckus and even if I won the $25K, I'd be out the money for my other two US patents, and all of the overseas dollars too.

Randy

Postby X900BattleApple » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm

X900BattleApple
White Belt

Work2XL wrote:I quickly read the rules to the "future" contest. I didn't see anywhere that said once you enter their contest they now own your idea. A software patent can run $25,000+ My project is looking at a min of 3 US patents. That is not even considering min 8 overseas patents I will be pursuing after launch that can be considerably more expensive. If I entered Ruckus and even if I won the $25K, I'd be out the money for my other two US patents, and all of the overseas dollars too.

Randy

True enough, though I think the idea in the Ruckus Nation case is that the best idea(s) that win would be prototyped and researched for meeting the goals set out in the competition, then (if the product proves worthy) produced and distrubted widely (for free) to the target population (11-14 year olds).

Pretty differt goals in each of the competitions, though they both do a good job of explainng it all as far as I can tell. I suppose in your case if you don't ever see yourself being able to afford the patents then if you won Ruckus Nation you could still see your idea produced as HopeLab would pay the patents and such. Really they both seem legit to me, but whether you should enter one over the other really depends on your own means and intent.

Very cool that more organizations are beginning to use idea competitions to get people thinking and hopefully bettering this or that industry / product.

Postby Work2XL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I agree, both contests have their merits. I've told my son about the Ruckus contest. He has a decent idea that he may enter with the understanding that he loses control of it. But, he rightly said he could use the money to fund one of his other ideas. As long as you know what you're getting into, I don't have a problem. Just don't put alot money into an idea just to give it away by ACCIDENT.

Randy

Postby X900BattleApple » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:55 pm

X900BattleApple
White Belt

Absolutely, you should always know what you're getting into and why you're getting into it (the latter being possibly more important sometimes). At the least, someone could opt to not sign on the dotted line and win in Ruckus, hence retaining their idea. I'd like to think that if they didn't read the rules thoroughly and were one of the winners they'd be smart enough to read the document that let's them win but also gives control of the idea away. If they're not that smart it's unlikely they'd win anyway :shock:

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:01 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

X900BattleApple wrote:Absolutely, you should always know what you're getting into and why you're getting into it (the latter being possibly more important sometimes). At the least, someone could opt to not sign on the dotted line and win in Ruckus, hence retaining their idea. I'd like to think that if they didn't read the rules thoroughly and were one of the winners they'd be smart enough to read the document that let's them win but also gives control of the idea away. If they're not that smart it's unlikely they'd win anyway :shock:

Whoa. Let’s back up a second, here.

Being able to find creative solutions to serious problems isn’t necessarily the same thing as being ‘book-smart’ or as having the ability to defraud innocent people. If good people go about participating in a contest and trusting the promoters not to use cleverly worded legal jargon, which doesn’t hold any water specifically because those promoters don’t plan to ever defend that intentionally deceptive language in court, it’s not really fair to label anyone who gets duped by them as being too stupid to play the game. Who the f#@k do you think YOU are??

The problem with the HopeLab contest is that the promoter(s) stand behind a set of dubiously-worded rules. The extent of their campaign to promote the contest tells me that such dubiousness would be no accident. When the discrepancy in the interpretation of their own rules, and the fact that it could not be enforced in a court of law, is brought to their attention repeatedly, they play dumb.

One would be compelled to assume that they have an ulterior motive with the contest. Given that most inventors are concerned with bettering their own lives, in addition to anything else, and given the peculiar circumstances surrounding the representation of that particular contest on this particular site, let me give you the most likely scenario…

1. They have little or no expectation that the selected winners will accept the prize amounts.
    2. They fully expect many other participants to be duped into relinquishing control over their own intellectual property, simply because they will have been misled by the contest promoters into thinking that they must.
    3. They register new members on this forum to promote the contest, and to pretend that they don’t know what’s going on.

Now, there have been other contests of dubious nature that have been presented at this site, as well. I have to insist that this thread topic isn’t about the ruckus contest, and that there’s no good reason why any discussion about it should continue here. If you want to talk about that contest, or any other contest, then please do it in the appropriate thread. If you have anything else to say about the Create the Future contest, then by all means, let’s hear it.

Postby DannyB » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:50 pm

DannyB
Green Belt

Unless anybody sees anything that I haven't seen in the Create the Future rules, regarding giving any ownership up, I am planning on putting in an entry. I am working on getting everything I want to present under 500 words.

I have read the rules a few times and don't see any risk. Does anybody see any tricky wording there??

Postby minnesotainventor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:06 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

Danny,

I did not..that is why I posted one. Perhaps an area/space can be created within Inventorspot where everyone from Inventospot can post or e-mail their link that highlights there invention submission..so we can support each other within these type of efforts?

I love to support anyone pursuing their dreams...sometimes it's hard to help...when you don't know about their efforts. (Support InventorSpot Inventors...view their links page). It's hard to hold back ideas...I try.

Good luck in your effort! Let me know where it is...I will try to get others to view it as well.

Steve
Next