FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Road Show » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:11 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

One of the worst reported cases of PCD was documented in the December 1999 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine involving a patient who had invented a novel potato peeler ("potatoe peeler" for those Dan Quayle devotees). The 43 year old inventor/housewife had spent her entire inheritance, along with contributions from friends and family members to mass produce 250,000 peelers due to hit supermarkets across the country in time for the holiday season. Deciding at the last minute to abort the distribution of the units, she explained that she prefered a summer release so as to prevent undue exposure to her invention which would surely result in Pillbury "ripping off" her idea. The units were destroyed in a wareouse fire the following spring. Inadequate fire insurance prevented her from recovering her investment.

RSG

Postby drpixelphd » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 pm

drpixelphd
White Belt

Yeah but if ya leave off the "S" there is no syndrome.

What's an acronym without a syndrome? That wasn't a question.

And we are not calling it a "DISORDER"

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Man, I though fire insurance was fire insurance.

I guess it doesn't count if you start the fire yourself.

It's good exposure, but baa-a-a-ad publicity.

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

drpixelphd wrote:Yeah but if ya leave off the "S" there is no syndrome.

What's an acronym without a syndrome? That wasn't a question.

And we are not calling it a "DISORDER"

Speaking of syndromes--I mean acronyms...what is ACME anyway?

(BTW, I think an "ism" is less stigmatizing than a disorder... as in astigmatism?)

patents

Postby Roger Brown » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Since we are considering a telethon for those of us suffering from Paranoidious Creativious Desperateism Syndrome (PCDS) I suggest we get Donny Deutsch as our spokesperson.

:D
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Work2XL » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I had a guy come to my door last night. He was wanting me to switch my phone and internet to Qwest. Some how we got to talking about "The Big Idea". He said he knew Donny. He used to one a Dominos chain several years ago in CA, and met Donny when his firm was handling marketing. I thought it was pretty cool. I knew a guy who had PCDS that was in remission for two years. Then BANG!!! He woke up dead. There was a rumor his wife might of had something to do with his death, but it was never proven. Though he was found with the receipt of a new prototype inserted in an orifice. I'm sure it will make the local news. I'm sure it was just an previously unknown symptom. They've called in the CDC.

Randy

Postby Road Show » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:35 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Scrupulous wrote:(BTW, I think an "ism" is less stigmatizing than a disorder... as in astigmatism?)

Pie-in-the-sky-ism

Overnight-millionaire-ism

I-noticed-my-neighbor's-dog-listening-intently-as-I-explained-my-idea-.-I-think-he's-gonna-steal-it-ism

Is-there-anyone-who-will-write-me-a-blank-check-to-pursue-my-invention-without-wanting-anything-in-return-even-though-I -don't-have-a-clue-how-to-manufacture-or-market-my-invention-?-?-?-ism

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:14 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

The only contests that anyone could consider more than just sensationalistic emotionalism ar ones that include the viewing audience in the judging process throughout the competition. A small group of judges can speculate on what inventions they see being popular within a particular audience, but the real test is with the viewers. If there was a show with say ten million viewers and a million phoned in regularly throughout the series to vote on the inventions they wanted to see proceed there would be a proven demographic.

At that point the show would become a third party outside any contract between the inventor and any groups (large/small companies) bidding to invest in the development of not only the invention with the most votes but others with potential that may have shown in close voting.

I haven't seen a show yet that puts the inventors' interests first. It seems to be so far the inventors' role is that of the butt of the joke. AND the judges are nothing more than tools to move the emotional roller coaster along. Make a show with 100% viewer input, allow more than one winner, don't allow any IP contracts between the show and the inventors and you will have a successful show. The show/inventions will attract the audience, the audience will pick the most popular inventions and the companies interested in developing the inventions can bid directly with the inventors. The inventors should be anonymous until the end of the competition so no one can claim personal bias (or use a sob story). Have each invention presented in a simple ten second commercial with a robotic voiceover.

Let's see a show strictly focused on the inventions and not extravagences like an inspiring backstory or the crocodile tears of fawning judges. So far that's all I see in this reality genre.

Now I have to mention Donny's show. His show is about successful people. They attract an audience no different from any other motivational speaker seminar type gathering. Every single story is different in many aspects yet one common thread I've seen for as much as I watch the show. They've all had access to a certain resource that many of us poor inventors don't have. Many of us can't, as I've heard The Donald say, "...implement...". And then he went on to calling those who can't "implement", "losers". If I had ten or fifteen $K believe you me, I could implement my product and find a satisfactory level of success.

Sorry, strong coffee this morning.

everyday edison's

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Did you watch Everyday Edison's. That show focused more on the inventing rpocess and had multiple winners. Everyone on the show is getting their product to market.
They aren't focusing on the drama like American Inventor. They actually showed the process of going from idea to actual product. I found that show very informative.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Road Show » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:39 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

BSG,

I really hope you find someone who has money that will help you take the bottlesling forward. I think it could be a handy addition to a "New Mother" package that hospitals hand out to their patients. Maybe a doctor or nurse. Some nurses make lots of money...investable money!

RSG
PreviousNext