FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Our DPX Systems Drive Unit

Postby Anthony » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Anthony
White Belt

Well it took me a few days to get back to this post, but here I am and I would like to show everyone what we have developed. This is the DPX Systems drive unit. In short this is a power assisting drive unit capable of being mounting on just about anything someone would like to power assist. Using a standard off the shelf cordless power drill you can adapt power to any manually operated application and make it powered. The bicycle and wheelchair you see here are only two simple concepts we developed to show possible application use. We introduced this product at the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas last May and have had nothing short of incredible response. People that attended the show could not believe that a standard cordless drill was moving me at 15 mph(2.5 mile range)!!! Anyway, we wanted to share what we developed with others on this site and look forward to hearing responses...good, bad and ugly!!! (I hope these pictures show up!) Thanks everyone!!

Postby Michelle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hi Anthony:

I think this is truly cool. Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated on your progress in getting this invention the success it deserves.

Who did you use as a prototyper. Are there people you would recommend or not recommend as you went through this process. Dish the dirt, please.

Michelle

Postby Anthony » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Anthony
White Belt

Thank you Michelle. Prototyping was completely done in house. My partner and I were both recently in the powersports industry and together combined our knowledge into this product. I specialize in different types of welding and protoytpe fabricating and my partner Marv owned and operated a CNC machining facility that enabled us to take our design from original sketches and develope them into CAD design.From CAD design they are manufactured from a CNC machine(a machine that mills out a design from solid aluminum and various different materials). After many different protoype samples, the final design was agreed on and we produced a small run of approximately 150 of the DPX Drive Units. The bike shown on this post was a result of left over inventory from our previous powersports endeavers. That bike is a Taiwan import that we also aided in developing and have licensing rights for. Prior to it being powered by our DPX Drive System, it was powered by a gas motor. We figured instead of leaving them on the shelf collecting dust, let's retrofit them with our drive unit and use them for demonstrating our new product at trade shows and presentations. Also, when we do license a company, if they are interested in the drill bike application, we can supply them with approximately 125 units to jump start their market or use for advertising. So far, this whole process has been our baby. Besides our patent attorney, we really have not used any other outside companies for asistance. We have both been down this road before with different products and have both been taken for a ride at one point or another. Unfortunately we learned the hard way earlier on, this time we are executing our own plan of attack. We realize having a plan doesn't always work and at sometime we may need other help, but until then we are going forward with this on our own and dancing with the girl that we brought to the dance.

Postby Road Show » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Aesthetics and cost are the only obstacles I can see as a deterrent to consumer acceptance. If there are cordless screwdrivers (not the drill-driver look) with enough power to power-assist a golf bag caddy, you may be on to something. The replacement hassle when a motor goes bad would simply be a trip to the local Home Depot.

Postby Anthony » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Anthony
White Belt

Road Show wrote:Aesthetics and cost are the only obstacles I can see as a deterrent to consumer acceptance. If there are cordless screwdrivers (not the drill-driver look) with enough power to power-assist a golf bag caddy, you may be on to something. The replacement hassle when a motor goes bad would simply be a trip to the local Home Depot.

Thank you very much for your input Road Show!!! If aesthetics and cost are the only two obstacles we have to overcome for consumer acceptane, we will be two very proud papas! You must keep in mind that many consumers that would be interested in this product will probably(hopefully) already own the same or similar cordless drill that you see on the bike and wheelchair, so a very large portion of this product has already been purchased. Also, overseas manufacturing would be manditory in large volume manufacturing. That alone would cut costs dramatically and reflect final retail price and a larger profit margin.If they don't own a drill that is compatible with our system, it becomes an avenue for existing drill companies to increase sales. Not only with drill sales, but more importantly battery sales. Hopefully this product can be a "win win" situation and possibly even become an effective way for cross promotion. Our DPX Drive System is a very unobstructive product. In other words, it compliments an existing known and proven product instead of making a existing product obsolete or replacing it in it's marketplace. As far as aesthetics go, giving this new product more curb appeal would not be a difficult task being it's pretty darn impressive when seen in person. Although I must say, hopefully that's a task that it's new owners will tackle. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Postby Michelle » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I love your invention and think its brilliant. I hope you have a lot of success with it.

Thanks for sharing the real life details of how you made this happen.

This is exactly the type of real invention how tos that inventors need to be discussing and sharing with each other.

Michelle

Uploaded video to Youtube.

Postby Anthony » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:17 am

Anthony
White Belt

Hi everyone! It's been a while since my last vist. I've been running around the country attending and exhibiting in many different trade shows. Don't let anyone fool you, this invention stuff is hard work (as we all know)!!! Many people have asked if we have any videos to view, so besides are website we uploaded a new one on Youtube. It's a quick 2 minute video of the DPX Drill Powered Bike. We will upload others as they are finished. Here's a link if anyone would like to see it.

-Anthony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8abvlYHK3Q
Last edited by Anthony on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:31 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Hi Tony, sounds like you've been keeping busy. Just a thought...but maybe you could partner up with that guy who invented the collapsible wheel chair on AI Season 2. I think you're missing the boat by focusing on scooters. Too many available at low prices to give you much market penetration...if any. A collapsible wheelchair, on the other hand, would make a real nice "vehicle" for this after market drive unit. As an example, the company that makes the "Butt Kicker"...which is a unit (transducer) that converts audio signals from the LFE channel of a home theater surround sound system into vibration so that when it is attached to a floor, or platform, or chair frame, the vibration gives the sensation of being 'in' the action on the screen...partnered with Berkline, a company that makes upholstered furniture and home theater chairs, so that a customer can choose to purchase a chair with the Buttkicker unit already installed. The cool thing about your unit is the ease with which the motor unit (cordless drill) can be replaced, and how readily available the battery packs are for the popular brands. I see the wheel chairs as being this year's winner. Wouldn't it be cool for you to be able to contribute to the success of that product, and get visibility for your DPX unit as well??

RSG

Postby Anthony » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:39 am

Anthony
White Belt

Road Show wrote:Hi Tony, sounds like you've been keeping busy. Just a thought...but maybe you could partner up with that guy who invented the collapsible wheel chair on AI Season 2. I think you're missing the boat by focusing on scooters. Too many available at low prices to give you much market penetration...if any. A collapsible wheelchair, on the other hand, would make a real nice "vehicle" for this after market drive unit. As an example, the company that makes the "Butt Kicker"...which is a unit (transducer) that converts audio signals from the LFE channel of a home theater surround sound system into vibration so that when it is attached to a floor, or platform, or chair frame, the vibration gives the sensation of being 'in' the action on the screen...partnered with Berkline, a company that makes upholstered furniture and home theater chairs, so that a customer can choose to purchase a chair with the Buttkicker unit already installed. The cool thing about your unit is the ease with which the motor unit (cordless drill) can be replaced, and how readily available the battery packs are for the popular brands. I see the wheel chairs as being this year's winner. Wouldn't it be cool for you to be able to contribute to the success of that product, and get visibility for your DPX unit as well??

RSG

Hi Road Show,

It's funny you mention that...I'm not sure if you are aware that we also developed 3 different types of wheelchairs utilizing our DPX Drive System. Actually, I recently attended the RESNA annual conference. RESNA stands for "Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Society of North America". I gave a presentation there and explained how our DPX Drive System crosses over into the medical industry extremely well. We were approached by several doctors, physical education and therapy experts and many others who felt this is an extremely excellent break through in the medical indusrty and assistive technology mobility. Many of these experts realized the potention of our drive system. They instantly understood that this unit can also be used for linear (lifting) applications as well, such as a portable patient lift or hoist for lifting equipment. Please keep in mind the scooter/bike application is only one example that we developed for a recreational market. The bike was developed for promoting the recreation industry, the wheelchairs for the medical industry, the winch system (video on DpxSystems website) for automotive or field and stream, and so on. We are definitley NOT only focusing on the bike apllication, it is only a means to show demonstration and create interest. When we attend trade shows, we bring several different prototypes that pertain to several different markets so potential interested parties can get an idea of how versatile this product actually is. Soon I will be adding another video on Youtube of our newest version of the DPX Systems Drill Powered Wheelchair. The medical field, as you might imagine has proven to become an excellent field with multiple applications utilizing the DPX Drive Unit.

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Tony,

Sorry if I sound like I am assuming you don't recognize the avenues possible or the power (no pun intended) of partnering is the way I suggested, but I think that partnering with this individual with the collapsible wheelchair, particularly if he wins, will give you and him the exposure to catapult both of you to the top. BTW, if you need representation out here in So Cal, let me know; I might be able to help in some way. Good luck, I think your product is a winner.

RSG
Next