FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Rookie Inventor - On my first product

Postby AmrTen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm

AmrTen
White Belt

This site has been a goldmine for me so far, hopefully I can contribute something back by telling about my experience. Which isn't much yet, but ...
I've thought of a simple product that will make new moms life easier and safer, I'm trying to go the low cost licensing route:

I had a prototype done by a local metal worker with scrap metal (cost $50).
Then took my prototype to different stores to try it out (Proof of concept) and I can now say it's "universal" and will work with other brands currently on the market.

Filed and paid for a PPA...I'm wondering now if other inventors waited the 4-6 weeks to get the correspondence back from the USPTO before calling companies.

Also fiddled around with Photoshop and made a sales sheet.

So far I've called three companies today, All major multinational 800lb gorillas. One blew me off saying that my product needs a patent and that "patent pending" wasn't good enough.
The other I got a name/number of the General Counsel of product submissions and will call him later this week.

I also e-mailed an Asian manufactured to see If I can get man. cost's from my 2d sketches and prototype pictures.

Re: Rookie Inventor - On my first product

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Welcome to the forums.

AmrTen wrote:...Filed and paid for a PPA...I'm wondering now if other inventors waited the 4-6 weeks to get the correspondence back from the USPTO before calling companies...

It wouldn't hurt to wait for your official filing receipt, especially if you don't have anything showing what you submitted. It's usually about 30 days. Call them if you haven't gotten anything by then...800-786-9199

Re: Rookie Inventor - On my first product

Postby AmrTen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:47 pm

AmrTen
White Belt

I hate waiting... :shock:
An "as seen on tv" rep signed my NDA so I'm going to send them my sales sheet tomorrow.
I'm also waiting for a Safety 1sthttp://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Great-Idea rep to send an NDA over. And in some spare time today made a list of 7 manufacturers in Asia, to get in touch with.