FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Anyone Else

Postby Hayseed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Hayseed
White Belt

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, have you found away around it.
When I have an idea, the first thing I think of is can I build the proto-type. Ideas I tend to focus on, are mechanical, hardly ever is electric or electronics involved, so far.

The problem is this the last two times I have tried to solve a certain problem, I found that I could not make a prot-type. So I will make drawinings of every aspect of the idea and, after seeing the drawings I am at that time, pretty sure it will work. But how could you really know?
Some of my ideas depend on pressures, of what one object will have on another when something happens. And if this pressure is not what I think it would be, then the whole idea is worthless.

The other idea oddly enough works on resistance and the same applies with it.

So it seems I am at an empasse with a good idea I can't prove works.

Any suggestions would help. The next time I have and idea and it involves this pressure and resistance to work, and I cannot make a proto-type I will cease and desist.

Re: Anyone Else

Postby JoeWaisman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 am

JoeWaisman
Green Belt

You're making an effort to figure out how to figure stuff out, without providing details of what you want to figure out...makes sense.

As an example I intend to build side mirrors for my motorcycle and car that have "dim" or "night vision" capabilities (someone already patented this, FYI).

These are a few methods I use when looking at problems requiring a new and unique design:

1) See if the problem has already been solved for a different application. Then verify that the solution will work for yours.

In the case of side mirrors we know that the rearview mirror mounted on the inside of the windshield has this capability. My design improves upon that slightly so that it will work well for side mirrors.

2) Break down the problem into it's simplest form, solve it and see if it can be reassembled
to solve the aggregate problem.

If I were building it from scratch I would note that I need a method of A) receiving the image, B) displaying the image and C) setting the display contrast.

I could do this by A) mounting cameras where the mirrors are and B) placing 4" LED display panels at some viewable location. C) A video circuit would have to automatically adjust contrast and brightness.

3) Look at the broad picture and see if there is a behavior that can be mimicked to solve the
problem.

If you look at chameleons they change color based upon their surroundings. Perhaps something where the silver pigment on the mirror could be darkened would reduce glare from headlights at night...

[It turns out a company already makes mirrors that do just that. You run a current through the mirror in one direction for daytime use and another for night time use.]

On the off chance that you have experience with digital logic, I discuss that here in one of last years class projects:
http://amazingbackpack.webs.com/parity%20checker.pdf