FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

New Invention Idea

Postby InventorForLife » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 pm

InventorForLife
White Belt

I have a new invention idea for a solar panel efficiency. However, I do not have the engineering experience so I'm looking to bring someone on board. However, if I do this, do I need to list them on my patent even if they are being compensated? Thanks!

Postby makeworldbetter » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:18 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

If they provide novelty and non-obvious idea, yes.
My old company listed me as one of inventors on three company projects.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:42 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

If you say to the engineer, " Build it like this, read this schematic...Here's your paycheck." you don't.

But if you say, "I want it to do this, figure out how... Here's you paycheck." and he designs something unique to the technology, he is a co-inventor.

Postby inventorx007 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:30 am

inventorx007
White Belt

Why are you so concerned about it anyways? what's wrong with having a co-inventor?

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

inventorx007 wrote:Why are you so concerned about it anyways? what's wrong with having a co-inventor?

Ex-x-xactly.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Just to clarify a point.

If your invention will only work best if point directly into sun, and you hire a engineer to do this part.
And everyone in this field use a clock or extra feedback control loop to provide sun's direction since it's so predicable.
Yet this engineer you hired invent a new way to use the difference on sunlight's phase received by different solar panel to calculate it out without the need of a clock or keep trying loop. Wow.

No you are filing a patent, and in your claim you only say that your invention have a mechanism to point the receiver toward sun. Then you don’t list your engineer as co-inventor. Of course you can file an independent application for his invention, yet that’s a different story.
Last edited by makeworldbetter on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

inventorx007 wrote:Why are you so concerned about it anyways? what's wrong with having a co-inventor?

This is about right or wrong.

Can I list my daughter as co-inventor on my inventions? just to improve her chance to get accepted into good university? I know having few patents under her name would help, yet that's cheat and illegal.

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

makeworldbetter wrote:

This is about right or wrong.

Can I list my daughter as co-inventor on my inventions? just to improve her chance to get accepted into good university? I know having few patents under her name would help, yet that's cheat and illegal.

Inventorship isn't always black-and-white.

That kind of thinking may keep one from benefitting from the continued support of others who may have had a hand in triggering the idea, especially if that was their original intent.

No single person will strike it rich with an invention. It will take a team of players no matter what.

Inventorship often includes more than just the individual who identifies a design for the first time...

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:47 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

So you are saying if I watch my daughter play ball, and I come up with an idea about ball, I can list my daughter as co-inventor? I really want to help her on her way to grow up. Well, last time I checked, law doesn't say an inventor need to know read and write.

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

makeworldbetter wrote:So you are saying if I watch my daughter play ball, and I come up with an idea about ball, I can list my daughter as co-inventor? I really want to help her on her way to grow up. Well, last time I checked, law doesn't say an inventor need to know read and write.

Well, you can say that again. :D