FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

A Dumb question.....

Postby Hold My Own » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Hold My Own
White Belt

I have an product and I have chosen to go with InventSAI. They are an invention promo company. I did make the mistake of giving them $895 for an evaluation. Which was a bunch of nothing and fancy drawings. How to you know if the company can help you or are they stealing my money. They got back with me and told me that I could get a utility patent and their whole marketing, research, and filing for the patent would cost me $13000,00. I really do believe in this product and it would definately have a market. should I just hire a lawyer and try to patent it myself or do I continue with the invention company. Listen, I am new at this, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Postby ideagirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:44 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

That invention company will just bleed you dry. Hugh rip off. Run...run faster. Read up on some of the postings in this bulletin board. Lot's of good info.

Postby Average Inventor » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Hold My Own,

First off it nice to see you here and I bet it took a lot for you to own up to what you have done and come on here to ask a question. We are glad you took the time to ask other fellow inventors to see if it's worth your money.

The simple answer is NO do not give them any more money!

A more detailed one would include the questions you need to ask a company such as this before giving them any of your hard earned money. One important question is "What % of the inventions you market either break even or make the inventor money?"

Another good question is "What % of the inventions that are submitted to your company do you turn down?"

There are several others that they, by law, must answer truthfully and if they don't they are breaking the law.

I would get a professional patent search by a patent agent or attorney first as well as a professional opinion as to if it's patentable. From there you need to make sure it's also marketable and can be made and then resold at a price point people will buy it. Then you have a good idea if you should pursue the invention/idea any further.

Postby DSlackman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:58 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

HMO

IdeaGirl is right. Most of these folks are not reputable.

This particular company does not show up on the National Inventor Fraud Center "good guys" list. http://www.inventorfraud.com/goodguys.htm

They also don't show up on the US Patent & Trademark Office complaint list.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/complaints.htm

Some of these companies change names frequently.

Either find a reputable local patent attorney or patent agent or learn about the process by reading the forums & FAQs on this site.

There are plenty of folks on this site who can help, so don't despair.

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.tenbytech.com

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Don't send them another dime until you have given yourself enough time to learn the ropes. Why should this company spend it's time and efforts to broker a deal for you when they can just take the money that you send directly to them? They don't care about your product- you care about it and that's how they make their money. The number of dollars people pay these companies does not match the amount made in return for services rendered. Their records of success suck.

Don't waste time worrying about things that haven't happened yet. Don't show it to anyone else for now and take this time to do some research before spending any more money.

Postby lcw_trey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:35 pm

lcw_trey
Yellow Belt

DSlackman wrote:
This particular company does not show up on the National Inventor Fraud Center "good guys" list. http://www.inventorfraud.com/goodguys.htm

Is this "good guys" list accurate?

Postby DSlackman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 am

DSlackman
Green Belt

lcw_trey wrote:
Is this "good guys" list accurate?

This is their disclaimer...
"The following hyper-links to third-party web sites are provided merely as a courtesy to the visitors of our web site and have not been thoroughly reviewed by us. We do not: (1) endorse any of the views expressed upon these web sites, (2) endorse or guarantee any of the products/services provided, or (3) guarantee the accuracy of any information contained upon these sites. Do not rely solely upon a company's listing here as a Good Guy. Only you can determine whether a company is reputable or not. You should thoroughly investigate any company prior to working with them. You should make your decision to work with a company based upon the gathering of information from various resources, not just this web site."

Consider...
It would be very hard to publish a "bad guys" list without being taken to court.
It would be very hard to stand behind a "good guys" list without any control over the companies being recommended.

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.tenbytech.com

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:04 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Next time I will do that for you for free

Postby ideagirl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:30 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

At least you have found us here at InventorSpot. Welcome!!!

Postby Michelle » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:29 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hey:

We're not on this good guy list. Could we impose on all of you to write to them and suggest we be added?

We'd appreciate the effort to help us become better known to inventors.

Michelle