FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Combo DTV analog converter antenna

Postby SilverNitrate » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Another 2 for one deal.
On February 17 2009 Americans will need to have a DTV to analog converter box for their non-digital TVs. So why not have a device that looks like a set top antenna with the converter built it?
This eliminates what the 'ol timers say "now another dang thang to sit on top of the TV set."

Another is the HDTV stick which you would screw directly to your [D15] connector on the back of your old computer monitor. This device will make any computer monitor a HDTV and receive DTV air programming. It'll have its own built in anetnna and a remote control and be battery powered.

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:17 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

you will need a heck of battery if you plan to watch TV for more than few hours. The D15 drains quick some power when running at high frequency. for one, a graphic chip usually had its own heat sink. A box is more likely the solution yet that already exist.
The hybrid DTV receiver and analog converter seems to good a new idea.

Postby dragon smile » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 pm

dragon smile
White Belt

I believe there are converters can receive air signal already.

Make is right about the power requirement. You need to plug in. I worked at computer field for more than 10 years now. Graphic consumes a lot of energy.

Postby SilverNitrate » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Ok skip the battery power, unless its for your car/RV.
I had my mind on the PCTV which is a USB powered HDTV/DTV tuner that plugs into your laptop/PC and receives air programming. (but i remembered that those ran off the computer's processing power)

the first is meant to be a more of a home use digital to analog converter box that would replace your old clunky TV set and rabbit ears. Also have this thing in HD so users of non-digital HDTVs and enjoy.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

If it's USB powered, then the box can send digital bit stream back to computer via USB port as well. Digital TV works different then analog TV. The bit stream is actually quite small, less than 3Mbit/sec. Then bit stream can be decoded by CPU and put on display. It's already being done this way.
Add analog output may have a market for like 3-5 years while it gets smaller each year. Eventually all TV will go digital.

Postby SilverNitrate » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Ok I made my proto-type already.
I took my $40 DTV coupon card and went to Bestbuy and bought the only converter box they carried (Insiginia)
I took an old rabbit ears antenna and using a hot glue gun, adheared to the top of the box, and Voila! just works well for me. So now it just someones turn to combine them into the same package.

Also over at Tiger Direct I been asking (for over a year now) to get the box that would accept any video input and out put it via D-15 to any computer monitor. Well now they have em. even with analog TV tuner built in. Now its time to make them digital. An SD card /USB stick recorder would be nice too... add in the option of time lasp to make better. But hey I'm asking too much, If I was an IE engineer I'd be dangerous!

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Have fun.