FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

device for protecting people health from cigarettes smokers

Postby peter_scotch » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:17 pm

peter_scotch
White Belt

Hi, I am a non smoker, and I feel very ugly when other people smoke around me. So do you know any device or any invention that protect people health from cigarettes smokers? I will be very happy if I such device.

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:53 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

In a word, SCUBA.

It's actually "Self-Contained-Underwater-Breathing-Apparatus".

But I'll let you in on a little secret...you don't have to use it UNDERWATER!

I know, I know what you're thinking. Why don't they call it SCOUBA, right?

I don't have the answer for that.

Keep in mind though that if you DO try this, you might be offending the very people that have fallen for federally-backed marketing campaign to sell the people a poisonous, highly-addictive product, at eye level in candy stores. The point is, you'd be skating on some very thin ice, my friend. (But, you'd have your SCUBA gear on, so it's okay.)

COMMON MISCONCEPTION: Snorkel gear with a long tube will work just as well. Wrong!

BTW, welcome to the forum, peter_scotch.

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:24 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Making fun of the guy is no way to welcome him. If there's nothing, just say there's nothing. Mocking him may just drive him away.

To answer the question, there may be ways, but they won't be inconspicuous or inexpensive. Any respirator with organic vapor cartridges should be able to filter out the airborne toxins like nicotine and benzopyrene. Some disposable face masks can filter organic vapors, although most can't. Still, nobody will fail to notice that you're wearing one.

How about making your own product to do that? Remember the nosebleed plugs from earlier this season? Make a version with activated carbon in it. Less material than a mask should make it less expensive. Bring it on American Inventor next year!

The simplest solution is to either ask smokers to move away from you or move away from them. If you can't move and they won't, shame them by coughing loudly and incessantly so everyone around thinks you're dying from the smoke.

Also, FYI, Scrupulous, there is such a thing as SCBA. Firefighters use them all the time.