FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

this forum/site is WAAAAAY TOoo SLOOOOW!!!

Postby bbaker6212 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:55 pm

bbaker6212
Yellow Belt

This site is so slow it's massively annoying! When reading the forums every item/page you click on causes multiple domains to be hit/loaded... first inventorspotforum.com, then lijit.com, then googlesyndication, then doubleclick.net, then the history list is downloaded (latest articles and forum posts). All this happens on EVERY SINGLE forum message that you try to read! The IT person or whoever designed this site, needs to learn a few things. Even using the most basic of HTML constructs like Frames would help. I for one will be moving to some other Invention related forum soon if this does not get fixed. It's driving me nuts!

Re: this forum/site is WAAAAAY TOoo SLOOOOW!!!

Postby bbaker6212 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:28 pm

bbaker6212
Yellow Belt

From http:// analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

Web Page Speed Report

URL: viewforum.php?f=43
Title: Forum for InventorSpot.com • View forum - Everything About Patents
Date: Report run on Fri May 22 02:06:17EDT2009
Diagnosis

Global Statistics

Total HTTP Requests: 14
Total Size: 94986 bytes
Object Size Totals

Object type Size (bytes) Download @ 56K (seconds) Download @ T1 (seconds)
HTML: 12317 3.05 0.67
HTML Images: 43082 9.19 0.83
CSS Images: 0 0.00 0.00
Total Images: 43082 9.19 0.83
Javascript: 22240 5.63 1.32
CSS: 17347 3.86 0.49
Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00
Other: 0 0.00 0.00
External Objects

External Object QTY
Total HTML: 3
Total HTML Images: 3
Total CSS Images: 0
Total Images: 3
Total Scripts: 6
Total CSS imports: 2
Total Frames: 0
Total Iframes: 2
Download Times*

Connection Rate Download Time
14.4K 76.42 seconds
28.8K 39.61 seconds
33.6K 34.35 seconds
56K 21.73 seconds
ISDN 128K 8.60 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 3.30 seconds

TOTAL_SCRIPT - Warning! The total number of external script files on this page is 6 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refactor, and minify to optimize your JavaScript files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages. Consider suturing JavaScript files together at the server to minimize HTTP requests. Placing external JavaScript files at the bottom of your

SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 22240 bytes, which is over 20K. Consider optimizing your JavaScript for size, combining them, and using HTTP compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents. You can substitute CSS menus for JavaScript-based menus to minimize or even eliminate the use of JavaScript.

Postby PennyB » Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 pm

PennyB
Green Belt

Hello bbaker6212,

Are you seeking a position as a another volunteer to help the team at Inventorspot :D or is it you are merely complaining? :x

With all the skills you appear to possess is it possible you'd be amenable to acting as a volunteer by actually doing something constructive versus dumping along with threatening to find new pastures to no doubt dump on too?

Dumping is okay if you're also willing to clean up after yourself. So how about approaching Michelle ( :idea: ) to help her by volunteering your services and/or advice - off line?

Regards,
Penny Ballou

Re: this forum/site is slow

Postby admin » Fri May 22, 2009 6:09 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

We do appreciate your input, what kind of connection do you have? And where are you located? Honestly, we haven't had complaints about the speed of the site. We don't try to exclude people with slower connections, but most of our users have high-speed internet. And our site is standard phpBB 3.x with a minor set of changes, so it's not an unreasonable setup.

As for our site's speed "grade", we get a "C" (73 out of 100) from YSlow, which isn't bad. There are a few things that we can fix, but they're not critical for most users. For reference, cnn.com get's an "E" (52).

Any modern website and webmaster knows that the figures listed in your printout are just guidelines. You do have to draw the line somewhere, and if people with 14.4K modems have to wait, well, they're probably used to waiting if they're surfing on the web. (again, look at CNN.com)

Feedback from you would help. Nearly everyone says this site is fast, and that's been our experience.
Roger Simmons
Webmaster InventorSpot Forum and InventorSpot

Postby admin » Fri May 22, 2009 6:43 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

For the other readers on this site, it looks like the original poster is from Brazil. Our servers are in Dallas, Texas, in the US. The site shouldn't be slow for him, unless there is some sort of congestion on the internet, or if he has a slow connection, or some trouble with his ISP.

Anyone else see slowness with the site?
Roger Simmons

Postby abacus » Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 pm

abacus
Green Belt

I'm from N.Ire.I-Spot is as fast as any other site I visit.

Thanks for your efforts,admin-and civility.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

:shock: :o Oh my GOD!!! That was the fastest response by Michey and Roger I've ever seen!!! :shock: :o

:lol:

Postby bbaker6212 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:02 pm

bbaker6212
Yellow Belt

Sorry my bad. I was extremely frustrated that night while trying to get some things done. My assumption was wrong (partially). The majority of the slowness was on my end - my lame ISP here in Brazil. But that night other sites were not as slow, so I assumed it was the way this site/forum was setup. Overall, yes I think it can be improved (as most things can) but it's much faster now so I think at least 80% of the speed problem was my connection. If/when someone gets to it though, the site could use some optimizing. Unfortunately, I don't have the spare cycles to help out. Sorry for griping. I do like the site so far. Seems like some good people and info here.

Postby admin » Sun May 24, 2009 11:29 am

admin
Yellow Belt

There two major things that we could do, reducing the number of DNS lookups, and adding a CDN. The other suggestions would require us to modify the forum package, which we're not planning to do, because frankly it's not worth it.

Reducing the number of domain lookups isn't really going to happen. That would mean removing ads or removing site monitoring probes. We use both and we find their use necessary. Sometimes one of these other sites is slow and it will slow down our site, but that's a reality that we can't really change. If an outside service is consistently bad, we'll dump it or replace it.

We have a CDN (Content Distribution Network) to move some of the data closer to the readers of the site. In the past few weeks it's not been used because we're switching between services offered by our CDN. They don't have nodes in South America yet so it won't help you much, at least not until next year when they're added. For North America/Europe/Asia it helps with loading times, but for the vast majority of readers, they don't notice either way.

Our site can handle a lot of traffic, but it might not be particularly fast for low bandwidth connections (due to the size of the pages). But for serving a lot of simultaneous connections, our setup works well. We've taken multiple simultaneous Diggs/Stumbles without problems. We do take performance problems seriously, because in our early days we had the (nice) problem of having to much traffic to handle with the servers/setup that we had. We have even more traffic now, but have a handle on the performance issues.

If you see problems, please report it. Thanks, and enjoy the site.
Roger Simmons

Postby Scrupulous » Sun May 24, 2009 11:44 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Roger, I noticed that the I-Spot forum pages don't rank at all anymore.

Is there a reason for that?
Next