FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby scrapbookdi » Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

How come the screen doesn't show me what posts are new since my last log-in? It used to.

Thanks...Di

Postby Michelle » Mon May 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

We upgraded all the site software last week so it may not register anything new as it's all "new".

Please try for a week and let me know if there is still a problem, as I am not seeing it on my end.

Thanks,

Michelle

More cookie problems

Postby admin » Mon May 14, 2007 5:17 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

This problem is also likely due to some transition issues with the cookies. Try clearing your cookies for americaninventorspot.com and inventorspot.com and log in again.
Roger Simmons
Webmaster InventorSpot Forum and InventorSpot

Postby scrapbookdi » Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

I do like the new look!

Thanks...Di

Postby AmericanCynic » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:35 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Telling me "5 new posts" for a blog doesn't help if clicking on it invariably takes me to the first page. The software should be taking me to the last page. On top of that, selecting more than 10 posts to read doesn't help, either. Sure, it can show the first 20 or whatever, but it gets errors every time you try to go to the next batch of comments.

And auto-refresh is a terrible idea for a blog page or any page that accepts comments. I was in the middle of typing a long comment when it decided it was time to refresh. Come on, it's not like blog pages change so often that they need to be refreshed every 5 or 10 minutes.

Postby Michelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:16 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Thanks for the feedback. We'll see what we can do to fix it and report back

Comment settings and auto-refresh

Postby admin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:29 am

admin
Yellow Belt

You're right. I have my own personal settings for the site set for the newest comments first. I've changed the defaults for everyone to this setting.

The auto-refresh interval is set for 30 minutes, not 5 or 10, but it's probably still too short for how often the site changes. We were testing the effects of that setting, but obviously had it on too many pages. You won't see that problem again.

Thanks for the input.

Roger
Inventorspot.com

Re: Comment settings and auto-refresh

Postby AmericanCynic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

admin wrote:You're right. I have my own personal settings for the site set for the newest comments first. I've changed the defaults for everyone to this setting.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help at all. It looks like the software is badly broken in this regard. There are two pertinent and available hyperlinks for each blog on the home page: #comment and #new. They should point to different pages if there are multiple pages of comments. They don't.

Oh, and did I mention that the formatting for composing new comments doesn't work properly, at least with Macs (and likely any system that uses Unix standard rather than Windows standard line breaks)? It says "lines and paragraphs break automatically" but I'll be damned if I can get any paragraphs out of it. I've tried double carriage returns, HTML P tags, BR tags, everything. Everything still comes out in one paragraph.

Postby Michelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 am

Michelle
Black Belt

We'll take a look. Thanks

No rich text

Postby AmericanCynic » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:10 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

I just tested it again while making a comment. Despite what the tips below the comment box says, it looks like rich text isn't enabled at all. None of the "allowed tags" worked. Not em, not bold, not paragraph, not a hyperlink, nothing. The tags just showed up as plain text in the preview.

Also, the arithmetic captcha is a little bit of a pain. I can see it being useful for the anonymous or unregistered comments to weed out spam, but registered users really shouldn't have to go through it.
Next