FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Dishonest editing on American Inventor Season 2

Postby Maria of Los Angeles » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:12 am

Maria of Los Angeles
White Belt

At least one of the inventions shown on the premiere show was presented in a dishonest way, which isn't fair to the inventors. I was at the auditions in LA and saw the Fire Escape Suit (Richard Dessert Jr. and Sr.), heard the description, and was told by staff that they got two YES votes and two No votes. The show featured the two no votes and let viewers assume all four were negative. Also, one of the judges described the prototype as aluminum, when the product was actually a special fireproof material.
Misrepresenting inventions ironically makes the show a negative experience for potential inventors, whose products can be misrepresented.
While I'd never buy the prototype shown, obviously, I'd like to see a final professional product and would probably buy it to keep under my desk at work and under my bed at home. It lets you breathe and avoid sparks igniting you clothes while you escape a fire. Sounded good to me.

Postby Road Show » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:06 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

This is television, Marie. It is unfortunate that it is necessary to make people look absurd and ridiculous in order to create "good programming", but that is the risk taken when auditioning for a reality t.v. show like American Inventor. The fire safety suit looks ridiculous, but I doubt anyone trying to escape a burning building would really care how they looked. Sad that the hopes and dreams of this father & son had to be crushed for a chuckle from the audience.

RSG

Postby 5rocks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:37 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Maria,
It is sad, but like Road Show wrote, "This is Television". When we made it to Hollywood last year, they told us that we would have to be accepting of
possible jokes, taunting, ridicule and......................Editing. They cut so much out of our pitches when we were in front of the judges. Heck, they even had us on the New York auditions and we auditioned in Chicago. They have their reasons for every thing they do on these types of shows. It is all about advertising, viewership and ratings.

Have a great day!

Pat

www.thetakeaseat.com

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:16 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

True enough, but let's try not to associate 'reality' with this show, hmm?

Postby Michelle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I think I have learned through all of this is that the only thing real about these reality shows is that there are real people in them. That's all that is really "real".

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:39 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I don't know, Michelle. Some of those contestants were looking vaguely robotic...especially that "Everything is going to be alright" guy! :P

Maybe it's just the camera angles. (kidding)

But I am convinced that Peter Jones is an actual cyborg. :wink:

Tons of flame retardant clothing have existed awhile

Postby mojo62 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:03 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Re: Dishonest editing on American Inventor Season 2

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:28 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Maria of Los Angeles wrote:At least one of the inventions shown on the premiere show was presented in a dishonest way, which isn't fair to the inventors. I was at the auditions in LA and saw the Fire Escape Suit (Richard Dessert Jr. and Sr.), heard the description, and was told by staff that they got two YES votes and two No votes. The show featured the two no votes and let viewers assume all four were negative. Also, one of the judges described the prototype as aluminum, when the product was actually a special fireproof material.
Misrepresenting inventions ironically makes the show a negative experience for potential inventors, whose products can be misrepresented.

While I'd never buy the prototype shown, obviously, I'd like to see a final professional product and would probably buy it to keep under my desk at work and under my bed at home. It lets you breathe and avoid sparks igniting you clothes while you escape a fire. Sounded good to me.

You're overreacting. I, for one, never assumed it was four "no" votes. I knew two was enough to get them kicked off and that's all I really needed to see. The only time I expect to see all four nos is when it's a really stupid idea, like the bicycle wheels.

That prototype was aluminized. That's why it's silver colored. And it's also a bad idea. I would have voted no, too. There's no provision for filtering air, which is bad if the entire room is filled with smoke all the way down to the floor. If these guys had actually done their research, they'd know the vast majority of fire deaths (up to 95%) is because of smoke inhalation, not because of "sparks igniting clothes" or even falling debris. If you're going to run close to a fire or run into backdraft, this won't save you. It's also more important to have good mobility, the ability to move quickly and feel your way around when visibility is limited by smoke. You can't do either in this so-called fire escape suit. You're more likely to trip and fall. And how would you open doors without hands? You're much better off buying one of the activated charcoal filter masks made for escaping fires.

Re: Dishonest editing on American Inventor Season 2

Postby clocksteve » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 pm

clocksteve
White Belt

visit www.xscapesafe.com to view the first of it's kind fire escape suit/kit. This suit/kit is different then the one on the program. My company has been working for a year on this suit and we have recently (3weeks ago) launched the new product. This product will help save many lives. The Kit comes with smoke hood (filters out the the toxic gases, 30 Minutes) one-piece suit (attached mittens and footing, excellant mobility) flashlight and clicker. If you have any questions please visit our website www.xscapesafe.com.

Postby Contextion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:47 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

What about the battery tester? I am sure the people of American Inventor have seen a battery tester before. All Peter said was oh you put the batteries in the flashlight to see if they work. You can get a free battery tester when buying batteries. This was not a new invention. Shouldnt American Inventor do invention searches first so they dont misrepresent who the real inventor is. Seems like thats something they could be sued over.
Next