FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

inventor services

Postby toyotaboy02 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:32 pm

toyotaboy02
White Belt

I felt really bad for that family with the hearing aid clip that spent $4k on basically nothing but marketing. I nearly fell to that scam myself.. when he explained I would be spending $700 just to get started (which was basically the "booklet") which did nothing but describe my invention, do a little bit of research (find out if it's marketable, search patents).. all of which I could do myself, I was done. By the time I spent money on a lawyer to file the patent and write up a legal patent sketch, I'm sure I would have spent $10k.. These invention places need to be shut down, they really mislead people into believing they're going to start profiting off of their idea.

Postby AmericanCynic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

That's the great thing about being a cynic. I never fell for any of those schemes. I bought the"Patent It Yourself" book many years ago for less than $20 and that's all I ever needed. Especially nowadays when there are so many quick and easy ways to do patent searches on the web, Google Patents being the newest and the best. Although nothing beats going down to a patent depository library and browsing entire categories for similar inventions.

Postby Contextion » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:43 am

Contextion
Blue Belt

There is no patent depository library near me. Why dont we scan every depository into a computer with optical character recognition software so we can search them like google?

Postby Michelle » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Google already allows you to do searches of patents for free.

You can go to
http://www.google.com/patents

Also, go read David Pressman's article that he wrote for InventorSpot.com this week

10 Rules Ever Inventor Should Know
http://inventorspot.com/ten_rules_every ... hould_know

It has great advice and links to great books that are invaluable to inventors.

Michelle

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:04 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Browsing through classifications in Google is doable, but it isn't easy. Even on broadband, it takes a lot of clicking and time to retrieve each patent. Pressman is actually the one who says to go to a depository library in his "Patent It Yourself" book. I can skim through paper pages a lot faster than I can Google a patent, open it, click another link to open the images, go back twice, open another patent in the subclass, etc.

Postby toyotaboy02 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:35 am

toyotaboy02
White Belt

patent searches aren't always easy, or thorough. Just like any search engine, by searching for different terms, you may find patents you didn't find before. Often patents can be very vague, and cover a broader range of things.