FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Finalists so far...

Postby chiasmus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 am

chiasmus
White Belt

SF - Greg Chavez - Guardian Angel
LA - Ricky DeRennaux - HT Custom Racers
Chicago - Elaine Cato - 6 in 1 Bra
New York - Craig Forest/David Moeller - The Claw
Houston - ?
Tampa - ?

What are your thoughts so far? The only one that I'd even think about buying at this point is the bra.

I don't buy Christmas trees, and even if I did, I wouldn't buy the Guardian Angel. I have no need for The Claw and the Custom Racers, although I think they are neat.

I keep waiting to see some of the really neat inventions that I saw in Houston; I saw a few on previews and small clips, so I'm hoping more get airtime next week. Did you see the kid riding around on the dog bicycle for a split second? I loved it.

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:42 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

The claw is a good idea. I would buy it if the price is right. A basic hook is about $3. If the claw priced over $15, I would rather lift my bike a little bit higher everytime. Besides the hook will never fail...

I think the kitchen cabinet thing will win new finalist.

Postby AmericanCynic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

The Claw is a terrible idea. It's complexity for the sake of complexity. Take a look at the Delta Leonardo bike rack. It's simple. It's about as reliable as you can get, with no moving parts. You don't have to lift the whole bike even a few inches like you must with the Claw. All you have to do is tilt the bike up on its rear wheel, roll it up to the wall and hook it. It's like these two "engineers" didn't bother to research the market before they went inventing. That's why they chose to compare the claw to the most basic hook. And seeing as how the Leonardo is already $15, I think it's a safe bet the Claw won't be anywhere near that price. Do you like complexity? Then buy the Bike Hoist. Again, a lot less effort and it gets your bike out of the way near the ceiling, to boot. You can even use it while doing maintenance on your bike.
Last edited by AmericanCynic on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby chiasmus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:15 am

chiasmus
White Belt

So Cynic, what have you liked so far?

Postby toyotaboy02 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:37 pm

toyotaboy02
White Belt

that delta looks nice, but it really is a different design. In the end, it basically does the same thing I suppose (I Might actually order that for my bikes).

Postby AmericanCynic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:23 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

If you have bikes (plural) and you're on a budget, you may want to consider the Racor Wall Mount Hanger. Actually, Racor's Solo wall mount (a different product also available on Amazon) preceded that Delta by many years. The Delta is a sleeker version of the squarish Racor design. The hanger does the same thing for only $9 per bike shipped. Or if you're really on a budget, go ahead and buy the regular bike hook for $3 (or even $1 at some stores) and mount it on the wall at the right height (exactly the height of the front hub with the bike up against the wall or slightly higher) with the opening to the side to do the same thing these things do. The only thing you'd lose is some way to protect the wall from the tires. With all these inexpensive, reliable options, I honestly don't see how the "overinvented" (as Peter put it) Claw can compete.

Postby toyotaboy02 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 pm

toyotaboy02
White Belt

The hooks never seem to work, because it's based on screwing a coarse thread into the drywall, which never mounts very strongly (I have a couple short 2x4"s screwed into my ceiling with those hooks stuck in, which even in wood are somewhat loose). That hook you sent doesn't look too bad, I bet some nice 3/8" toggle bolts would mount that on the wall well.

Postby AmericanCynic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:51 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

You should be searching for a stud to attach it to. Sheetrock is never a good material to put screws into. No screw has good holding power in gypsum plaster. Toggles or anchors are the only way to mount anything on sheetrock.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:20 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"Toggles or anchors are the only way to mount anything on sheetrock."

http://www.herculeshook.com/?cid=239644

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:59 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

"Toggles or anchors are the only way to mount anything on sheetrock."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDG018l4lA
Next