FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby Ben Tex » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:03 am

Ben Tex
White Belt

I agree. Should someone set up a different thread, or just continue it here?

Auditions

Postby Rusty8ball » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:58 am

Rusty8ball
White Belt

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I had an invention for several years now through an invention company. The biggest fear I have is my big mouth. I told several family and friends about my invention, and we all know what can happen after that(you tell someone, they tell someone etc. etc.) I live in TX and more than likely AI is not going to come here first. Should I travel to the first city of auditions or would AI take into consideration if someone came up with my idea but I had the proof.

Postby scrapbookdi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

Surprisingly, even though I have a big mouth, it has been easy for me to keep mine secret. The only person that knows is my brother because I needed his help with it and he gave me some good ideas on how to expand my idea!

Postby DaddyMathis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

Rusty8ball,

This came from the official ABC American Inventor site FAQ's

What happens if more than one independent inventor shows up with the same or similar invention?

Should similar inventions be presented, the producers have the right, in their sole discretion, to advance any of the ideas, or none of them. The decision to advance ANY invention presented will be based not only on the invention itself, but on the inventor's presentation and the potential to successfully bring the product to market.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/americaninventor/faq.html#19

Postby Michelle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

The ABC info reminds me its very much an entertainment show than a cold hard look and which inventions will be the best in the marketplace.

Postby Road Show » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

In a way, the producers really have their work cut out for them. Entertainment value=Ratings...BUT, in the absence of some high profile product making it big in the marketplace, the viability of the show will erode through lack of interested inventors bring their ideas. We all are saying how unusual it is that a product will actually make their inventors any money, so it may end up self destructing despite their best efforts.

Postby Michelle » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I actually think there are tons of great ideas out there, but the difficulty of getting your idea out and doing all the hard work to get it out is what kills inventions.

My sense it that it takes a whole lot of work.

So I guess my question to successful inventors I guess is is it the bad ideas that make the success rate so low or is it the difficult work of getting your products out?

Postby DaddyMathis » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:51 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

It does sound like a whole lot of work. I think that's why most of us are drawn to the show...so they can do the hard part for us.

Now before all you pros start throwing tomatoes at me, let me explain. I don't mind hard work. I've lost plenty of sleep and gotten more soldering iron burns than you can shake a stick at. But I'm not a salesman, a businessman, or entrepreneur and I don't have deep pockets. That's why I'm counting on the show to get my invention to the market. I'm just playing to my strengths. I read somewhere that "90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at".

And if the show doesn't do it for me, then I'll see what I can do on my own. But patience is not my strong suit.

Postby Michelle » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I agree that that is the strongest attraction of the show...but I think any finalist on the show will tell you that you should use the opportunity of the show to help launch you. I think of the show as a world class promotion vehicle rather than as a chance to win the invention lottery.

Am I wrong here?

Postby DaddyMathis » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:42 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

The exposure would be great. But have any of the contestants had any success yet? I've seen a lot of their inventions in the gallery (most say patent pending) and it looks like they're all still looking for licensing partners.

Some of them seem like really good ideas and I'm surprised that someone hasn't picked them up yet (since they recently had so much exposure).
PreviousNext