FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Eligability to enter?

Postby Heather615 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:56 pm

Heather615
White Belt

Can a person that already has a patented invention (and successfully has their product on the market) tryout for American Inventor with a new totally unrelated product in a totally different market? The new product is is still in the conception and design stage. Or do you have to be a brand new inventor?

Thanks,
Heather

Postby DaddyMathis » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:29 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

There's nothing in the rules that says you can't enter if you've already had a successfull invention. The invention you're auditioning with can even be on the market as long as it hasn't sold more than 50,000 units. Go for it.

Thanks!

Postby Heather615 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:33 pm

Heather615
White Belt

Thanks for responding so quick! How about this? Can a person with more than one invention do an audition with one product and if they don't make it - go to the back of the line to try the other product?

Heather

Postby scrapbookdi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:57 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

Yes, I believe so. If you go to their FAQ page it addresses that question in the text of auditioning in a different city with a different invention. So I guess if you can get to the back of the line and still get an audition it would be better yet!

Postby Michelle » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:48 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I had heard somewhere that you can pitch more than one invention at a time. I think Wade Sun had mentioned it. I will ask him to drop by and give us some insight into the audition process.

Thanks!

Postby Heather615 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 am

Heather615
White Belt

You guys are great here! I am glad I found this site.

About the American Inventor 1st Season Auditions

Postby WadeSun » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:03 am

WadeSun
White Belt

Yes, ABC allowed you to audition with multipe inventions as long as you fill out extensive paperwork/release forms for each one. I actually auditioned with two of my inventions. The first round was crazy, be sure to get there 2 hours before their "starting time". My wife and I spent the night at a hotel next to the auditions the night before.

I was on a talk show commenting about my experiences in auditioning for 1st season of ABC's American Inventor. I made it through 3 rounds to place in the top 30, and got some airtime on the show.

http://www.wsradio.com/find/?search=Wade+Sun

Now, I am venturing my Compact Disc Eraser product. The show did help me with initial exposure, but I've learned alot about marketing and business, which is what every inventor needs to know in order to successfully bring their product to market and start making money with it.
<p>Wade Sun, SunZag LLC.</p><p><a href="http://www.disceraser.com/">www.DiscEraser.com</a>  Why shred? Recycle instead!</p>

Postby Michelle » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:09 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Thanks Heather for the nice words! Thanks Wade for dropping by.

Just in case anyone does not know, Wade Sun has done two separate series of articles on the invention process for our site. You can go to the searchbox on the top of our site and find everything by Wade.

There is some invaluable information so please go check it out if you think you can use an experienced inventors advice.

Thanks,

Michelle

Multiple Invention Pitch's

Postby 5rocks » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:08 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Sorry for the late reply everyone. I just recently renewed my registration. With season #1, they told all of us that we had 2 minutes. It is up to the descretion of the initial producer reviewer of your product. My wife and I pitched our invention, "Take-A-Seat", on December 4th in Chicago last year. We were in front of the executive producer for over 15 minutes. If they like your invention they will give you the time you need. The two minutes is a safeguard for them to weed out the crazy or less-than-serious inventors.....if you will. Here's what I would suggest to anyone pitching more than 1 invention. Pitch your best invention first. This time in front of them is valuable. Manage it like you have never managed it before.

Pat Rock
Take-A-Seat :D