FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Experienced Inventors' Group Discussions

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:03 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

We want to create an area for Inventors that have at least one invention on the market. This forum would allow those Inventors to have discussions with their peers and swap successes, failures, places to avoid and companies that are Inventor friendly. This is not to keep out the new Inventor, but rather to make a place they come and read about the real life experiences we are having and hopefully inspire them and help them through the inventing process. Through these discussions everyone can learn and grow.
If you join any of the posts be sure to mention your website so we can see the inventions you currently have on the market. I will start things off by listing my website http://www.rogerbrown.net

Re: Experienced Inventors' Group Discussions

Postby DBayless » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:12 am

DBayless
White Belt

Roger Brown wrote:We want to create an area for Inventors that have at least one invention on the market. This forum would allow those Inventors to have discussions with their peers and swap successes, failures, places to avoid and companies that are Inventor friendly...

The good news about InventorSpot is that is attracts a large number - and broad range - of inventors and aspiring inventors. An associated challenge is the breadth of relative expertise among the members. For newbies, it can be intimidating to publicize one's relative ignorance. For experienced inventors, it can be a time sink to help others answer "basic" questions. Consequently, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to augment this online forum with one or more <a href="http://swni.typepad.com/dispatches/2004/06/the_value_of_pe.html">"Master Mind"</a> peer groups? There are many such groups that target entrepreneurs (e.g. <a href="http://www.ypo.org">YPO</a>), but I'm not aware of any that cater specifically to inventors. Sure, there are many geographically-based inventor clubs, but the kind of peer interactions I'm referring to are among small groups of 5 to 7 people.
Read my blog: <a href="http://swni.typepad.com/dispatches/">http://swni.typepad.com/dispatches/</a>

Postby Road Show » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Considering that there have been attempts here to form similar groups, what qualifications and or group structure would you be contemplating for this "Mastermind" group you're proposing?

RSG

Postby DBayless » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:57 am

DBayless
White Belt

Road Show wrote:Considering that there have been attempts here to form similar groups, what qualifications and or group structure would you be contemplating for this "Mastermind" group you're proposing?

There doesn't have to be just one. In fact, for these kind of (probably teleconference-based) peer groups to work, the members need to have similar levels of relative expertise. They can work for newbies as well as for highly experienced people. In my experience, though, the real payoff is to people who have a substantial base of experience: they are the ones who tend to know that they don't know everything but are confident enough in their capabilities to take the risk of asking questions.

An easy enough way to start one of these is for one inventor to invite another to join his new peer group under a short list of conditions. First of all, each person will commit to participate in a monthly conference call of, say, no more than 90 minutes in duration for a period of, for example, six months. Second, each member would commit to lead one monthly discussion. (So, a six month term would require six members.) Third, each member will agree to recruit one other participant.

This kind of approach helps ensure that the group is compatible and that each can contribute to, and learn from, the others. By making commitments specific and finite, it makes it easier for participants to join (they aren't on the hook in perpetuity) and allows for graceful exits. If the forum works, it can be extended for successive six-month periods. As people fall by the wayside, others can take their place.

Just to be clear, I'm not proposing anything. Peer groups work when they are run for and by peers. I'm not not inventor - I'm an innovation capitalist. So, I don't belong in an inventor peer group. For some, I could represent a resource or guest participant in a targeted call, however.

I've facilitated lots of these kind of things. Most don't last beyond the initial commitment. Some last for years. Of those, participation waxes and wanes. In almost every case, though, I've seen how people can learn very cheaply and effectively from their peers.

It might be worth a shot for one or more of you inventors. Don't cost much.

Postby Michelle » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

This forum section was supposed to be for the purpose of experienced inventors supporting other experienced inventors.

I think we've somehow lost the purpose of that somewhat and Roger is just trying to get that back.

Peer groups sounds fine and if people want to start them, perhaps putting to use one of our private forums if they wish, we can do that.

I think though that Roger was interested in finding who may be the successful experienced inventors on line so that we can get a better sense of who these folks are and perhaps create a community among them as well as supporting the newer inventors.

I wonder if it would help if we can enable some sort of label for those who join? Who it be helpful or more chilling to self label

perhaps
newbie inventor
first idea in the works
product on market
a successful product on market
many successful products on market

Experience?

Postby Anonymous Inventor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:42 am

Anonymous Inventor
White Belt

Michelle:

That would be a good idea to label some of the Inventors that are Involved in this website.

A couple of categories could be;
Seasoned Inventor
Experienced Inventor

I think this would be a better way to communicate with some of the members & to better understand there level of Involvement with the website.

The members that only sign-on to become a member without any Involvement or the ones that only post once or twice should be labeled newbie only because of there level of Involvement.

When the member starts getting Involved only then will there label change to a higher level.

Members DO NOT take me wrong because I DO NOT like to be labeled, but there needs to be away to help all the active members understand & deal with your particular needs & to better understand your level of Involvement. :lol:

Postby Michelle » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 am

Michelle
Black Belt

The site automatically asssigns belt levels depending on participation with th site. That's why I am currently a brown belt.

What we could perhaps ask people to do is to put their experience level in their signature?

Perhaps when we welcome new folks to the site?

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:10 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Michelle wrote:perhaps
newbie inventor
first idea in the works
single product on market
a successful product on market
many successful products on market

Call me latently autistic, Michelle, but you almost made a nice pyramid. If you add a word like single, like I did, then the world would be a slightly better place.

Roger Brown:
Hey, if you would care to moderate this particular forum, I would have no problem with it whatsoever. Just let michelle know if you're interested.

Feedback

Postby Anonymous Inventor » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:42 am

Anonymous Inventor
White Belt

I was in agreement with the website & I understand about the belt levels.

I was just giving my suggestion about the Inventors experience level that even becomes a belt level.

I see that the website has almost 1,000 members, that's great!

What I see is that there are only maybe 50 active members & at least half of the members never even post anything or reply to anything.

I thought the website was created to help Inventors, but alot of the members never even ask for help or participate in anyway.

There are alot of good Inventors on this website that can & are willing to help others learn.

I have not posted very much on this website myself, but I have learned alot & I like to give some feedback once in awhile.

idea

Postby laughinghousekeith » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 pm

laughinghousekeith
White Belt

I am a new inventor. I like your idea about a group of experienced inventors. I think it would be great if a new inventor could get a specific mentor to work with and communicate with- some one to take a newbie under their wing.

I have a patent pending on a new product. I thought that would be the hard part. Now I have to learn about plastic vs metal, prototypes, business plans, chain stores, packaging, UPC, CHINA, blah, blah, etc , etc. IT IS OVERWHELMING. And I have a GREAT product. I know everyone says that- but I have had independent research done, been in front of business focus groups, etc. The big prob is getting money for prototypes, manufacturing, etc.

If anyone wants to contact me( KEITH)- e mail is STOWPRO@GMAIL.COM
Next