FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

What should/do inventors major in college?

Postby NP Tyler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:36 pm

NP Tyler
White Belt

I was thinking that engineering would be one of the better choices for getting a degree in college when one's goal is to be an inventor. But which type of engineering applies to which aspect? I'm currently a freshman in college and keep changing majors. My advisers are terrible and offer little to no help and keep giving me contact information to the next person which turns out to be a waste of time as well. So I thought I'd ask the people who are inventors and have life experiences with this subject. Also, what is everyone's comment on getting a business degree as well?

Please, all comments are appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. :(

Postby DSlackman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 am

DSlackman
Green Belt

NP Tyler

You are on the right track. Technical knowledge is important. Entrepreneurial ability is important. You might also want to think about focusing on the areas that excite you. There is no point in going into an area of study that bores you. Without excitement it's just another job.

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.cafepress.com/inventorshop

Postby CriterionD » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:20 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

For inventing, industrial design may be a decent option. I think its most specific to the actual invention process, and is something of a cross between engineering and marketing/entrepreneurship.

Something like psychology is helpful in forseeing market needs, perhaps, while Entrepreneurship should involve that on a different level, and should also provide tips and training relevant to forming business plans and using them to attract investment among other things. Marketing can be helpful as it involves researching and determining consumer needs, and frankly whether or not something is considered marketing, as a person you are always marketing yourself and as an inventor you are always marketing your invention. Management can be useful if you not only plan to invent but also to take your inventions to market yourself using your own company.

As far a business majors are concerned, I'll add that Entrepreneuship and/or Small Business Management are often considered different majors than simply management or marketing, but when push comes to shove, the principles leading to the success or failure of any large company are the same principles that lead to the success or failure of any company. Therefore all majors can be applicable regardless of your future intent.

Really though, consider what degree will do what for your job prospects in the event you can see yourself taking a job somewhere while inventing on the side. And, know that you can't go too wrong with a major if its a subject area you feel passionate about.

I say this all not as an experienced inventor myself but as someone with experience around inventors and entrepreneurship, and a knowledge of available college courses.

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

there are inventors in all fields; some more, some less.
I suggest you pick up an field that interests you, then become an inventor from that field.

Postby inventor-x » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

CriterionD gave some good Advise.

Any Legal, Business, Advertising or Marketing Degree.

As an Inventor you will have to wear all the HAT"S of Life at some point.

Any Experienced Inventor will tell you that Inventing is a Second job.

If your asking what Inspires Inventors to Invent ~ Everyday Life.

Inventions come from every Aspect of Life.

See a Problem ~ Find a Solution & Fix it.

Ideas can come from somebody making a Comment or Joke, or just by somebody looking at something from a Different Angle.

Your Idea ~ Good Idea for an Eassy for any Legal, Business, Advertising or Marketing Class on what Courses a College Student should take to help them be a Successful Entrepreneur & Inventor.

Inventing is easy, it's everything else that comes afterwards that's Difficult.

Being an Inventor is the Toughtest job & thing you will ever do.

Inventing is the Only job that will cost you Money, alot of Time & Effort before you ever make a Dollar.

I will say there are Exceptions to every Rule.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

nah

For many cases, if you don't have engineering background, you likely won't be able to find a solution.

USPTO also recognizes that. If you have a BS degree, you only need to pass patent bar to become a patent agent. While others in other major need more efforts.

Ture, most of inventions come out from daily life. Yet it really depends on what kind of life you have. I have two computer related patents, another one pending, a electronic one pending. Others are mechanical.

I am not saying you should become a engineer or scientist, but at least not to against that idea.

Postby mojo62 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:08 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Any subject!

Postby mrbach » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 pm

mrbach
White Belt

I dropped out of Psychology in my second year and never looked back. The idea is the easy part, its getting it made and marketed.
Still, if I had to do it over, I would have studied finance and maybe some law. I had to learn the hard way, and now I have to pay for that advice.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:45 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Ask yourself, "What CAN I do?" or in other words, what are your abilities? What are you best at? But once you answer that, you next have to answer what do I enjoy doing? I think X said it and I agree, you should ultimately first love, like and enjoy what you are doing.