FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Anyone ever dealt with Davison - Invention Company???

Postby mtslick2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm

mtslick2009
White Belt

Hey guys!

New inventor here. I recently was introduced to Davison. Theyre a company located in Pittsburg, PA that help individuals with their ideas turning them into raw ideas to finished products including, prototyping, packaging, presenting them to specific manufacturers, etc. Im new to this whole process, and was curious if anyone has had any experince with them. The rep i was talking to was saying there are 2 contracts involved. Contract 1 that is roughly 700 that includes patent research and Contract 2 that ranges from 6500 (low end) to 15000 (high end) that includes tweaking of the idea, prototyping, creating product designs for manufacturing, packaging, and negotiating with manufacturers. If the product gets a licensing deal, they get 10% of the royalties and you get 90%.

My question is has anyone had any experience or dealings with them? Can i trust them? Any pros and cons (besides the price). Just want to know if i commit with them, ill be getting what i pay for. I dont want some kid out of college working at Davison not knowing what hes doing trying to tell me what i need done to my idea. I appreciate any feedback anyone has!

Thank you,
Mike

http://www.davison.com/

Re: Anyone ever dealt with Davison - Invention Company???

Postby Pete Draganic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Pete Draganic
White Belt

I know nothing about that specific company but feel compelled to mention that there are plenty of companies that prey on the hopes of inventors... be absolutely sure they are not one of them.

Also, I think there is some need to disclose all parties that are part to an invention so if they consult you on the invention and help to refine the patentable form, there may be an obligation to include them as co-inventors.

I have recently filed my own provisional patent and am not comfortable with that level of protection (which is virtually none). I am talking with a patent attorney that I found online and he works very reasonably. He is registered with the USPTO (verified this) and his cost to do his part shouldn't exceed 2000 to assemble all papers, including the writing of claims and other pertinent portions of the filing. His price also includes to inevitable negotiations/arguments with the patent office.

Moving to the point of an attorney may be easier for me because I have a simple product with working prototypes. You, on the other hand, may have something far more complex or may just be in the idea phase. I am just thinking out loud.

I hope to be able to have a full patent for $5000 or less. I have done a lot of homework ahead of time but this is my first time and I am doing a LOT of learning.

Postby rather-be-golfing » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:41 pm

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

Do a search on 'Davison complaints' and you will have a quick answer. There are hundreds of these companies that exploit inventors.
Some of the reports are old and they MAY have changed but I doubt it.

Postby Gizmo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:12 am

Gizmo

Read the info from the FTC......I would get your best pair of Nikes and run like hell if I was you.....

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/07/davison.shtm

http://ftcsearch.ftc.gov/search?q=davis ... collection

Postby Derek Pater » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Hey guys!

New inventor here. I recently was introduced to Davison. Theyre a company located in Pittsburg, PA that help individuals with their ideas turning them into raw ideas to finished products including, prototyping, packaging, presenting them to specific manufacturers, etc. Im new to this whole process, and was curious if anyone has had any experince with them. The rep i was talking to was saying there are 2 contracts involved. Contract 1 that is roughly 700 that includes patent research and Contract 2 that ranges from 6500 (low end) to 15000 (high end) that includes tweaking of the idea, prototyping, creating product designs for manufacturing, packaging, and negotiating with manufacturers. If the product gets a licensing deal, they get 10% of the royalties and you get 90%.

My question is has anyone had any experience or dealings with them? Can i trust them? Any pros and cons (besides the price). Just want to know if i commit with them, ill be getting what i pay for. I dont want some kid out of college working at Davison not knowing what hes doing trying to tell me what i need done to my idea. I appreciate any feedback anyone has!

Thank you,
Mike

Good Luck and please spend your money wisely on your Invention project, if you need to develop a new product have a Designer help you, do all the leg work and running around yourself phone calls E-Mail, for example I process 15,000- E-Mails per year for my Invention Company.

[DELETED: SPAM in a NO SPAM ZONE]

Postby admin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

Here's an older forum discussion about them:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1712

Here are a couple of articles about Davidson. Also read the comments, to find other experiences with them:
http://inventorspot.com/articles/pittsb ... eds__15857
http://inventorspot.com/davison
http://inventorspot.com/the_bad_guys

You can also search on the web about other's experiences. Our site attempts to block their ads since our readers have had such bad things to say about them. That being said, InventorSpot has had no direct dealings with them.

Roger
Roger Simmons
Webmaster InventorSpot Forum and InventorSpot

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:46 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I believe this says it all. Pay close attention to the last sentence and tell me you are okay with that.

http://www.davison54.com/disclosure.php

In 1997, the Federal Trade Commission filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, captioned F.T.C. v. Davison, 97-1278. As a result of the judge's decision in the case, the judge has ordered us to make the following disclosures to you regarding our track record over the last five years in successfully marketing our clients' products. You should read all of this information carefully before proceeding.
The total number of consumers who submitted new product ideas to Davison during the past five years is two hundred twenty nine thousand seven hundred thirty eight (229,738). Davison does not provide evaluation of commercial potential; thus, it has provided no positive or negative evaluation of this or any other product idea in the last five years. The total number of consumers who were offered a Pre-Inventegration? agreement (or similar contract for research services) is one hundred fifty seven thousand one hundred twenty two (157,122). The total number of consumers who were offered a Contingency Agreement (or other contract for licensing representation) is one hundred fifty seven thousand one hundred twenty two (157,122). The total number of consumers who purchased a Pre-Inventegration? Agreement or similar contract for research services is thirty five thousand one hundred forty three (35,143). The total number of consumers who signed a Contingency Agreement or other licensing representation agreement is thirty five thousand one hundred forty three (35,143). The total number of consumers who were offered a Product Sample Presentation Agreement (or any other contract for design services for a virtual or a product sample) is twenty five thousand one hundred thirty five (25,135). The number of consumers who signed a Product Sample Presentation Agreement or similar agreement is nine thousand eight hundred ninety five (9,895). The number of consumers who obtained a written license with a company that is not affiliated with Davison is one hundred ninety eight (198). The total number of consumers in the last five years who made more money in royalties than they paid, in total, under any and all agreements with Davison, is seven (7). The percentage of Davison's income that came from royalties paid on licenses of consumers' products is .001%.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.