FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

You Are Not Doing Thorough Research On Your Idea

Postby Roger Brown » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:13 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

A misconception that plagues Inventors is two-fold, one they don't do the proper research to see if their idea is patented and the other is they don't do research to see if it is on the market. These two are independent of each other, but they both need to be done before you move forward and start spending money on your idea. You can do a lot of this for free, it just takes your time.
They forget every item patented is not on the market and every product on the market is not patented. So, just doing a patent search is not the answer to every idea you may want to research. I get contacted by Inventors all the time telling me they did a patent search and could not find their idea anywhere and I have had Inventors swear they looked online and in every store for their idea and can't find it.
In both cases they missed the product in the other field. When checking to see if your idea is out there you need to check both areas not just one. Go into any large chain store and look at how many products you see on the shelf without a patent. I think you will be amazed at what you find.
As I always say "patentable does not equal marketable" In a number of cases branding and getting to market first has proven to be more effective than a patent.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Re: You Are Not Doing Thorough Research On Your Idea

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Had an Inventor pay for a trademark and did not bother to see if the domain name for their trademark was available first, which it wasn't. So now they have a trademark on a product that is already selling with that same name and using a domain that they can't buy.
All of that could have been avoided by doing some checking first.

Postby Gizmo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 am

Gizmo

"Roger Brown"
You can do a lot of this for free, it just takes your time.

You can do it for free I will give you that Roger. But will you be able to find what your looking for searching through more than 10,000 patents or more ????? :wink:

I get contacted by Inventors all the time telling me they did a patent search and could not find their idea anywhere and I have had Inventors swear they looked online

Has this ever happened to you Roger ? Ive evaluated products for you in the past,even done a quick patent search finding the exact patent or application in a matter of 15 mins........I remember you saying darn how did I miss that.

Go into any large chain store and look at how many products you see on the shelf without a patent. I think you will be amazed at what you find.

Your correct about the majority of products not being patented Roger, But just because a products on store shelves isnt marked patented or pat pending means nothing.
There may be some that the patent time line just ran out. There may be products that are patented without any markings. (Not a smart idea by the way).

A week ago I was in one of the Big Box Home Improvement chains looking around. I ran up on a new interesting tool by a Major well know company in the industry. I looked for any patent or pending markings on the tool or packaging & found nothing. I just figured there must be prior art that kept the product/company from filing an application on it......
All day long this tool was on my mind for some reason,so I decided to do a google product search for similar products. I found nothing else close to it then decided to do a patent/application search.After 7 hrs of solid searching I found nothing else that came close to it. The next day I spent about 4 hrs searching again without any results. I tried all different search words that should of gotten me close to the idea. Hmmm this is going to be a challenge...
For some reason I couldnt get this product off my mind. I couldnt beleive if there wasnt any prior art out there why this Major Tool Company wouldnt file a patent app and mark patent pending on the product.

That same night I woke up thinking about the product and decided to change my search words. I typed two new words into the USPTO search bar and Bingo......There it was looking me in the face was the patent that issued in 2005......

Know I was confused,,,,why would this huge major company not have the patent number on the product or packaging..... I looked in the USPTO Public Pair file and everything was up to date....so whats the deal here

Did someone drop the ball during the manufacturing,packaging stages ????

Postby Roger Brown » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I am noticing when Inventors contact me about their new idea that they are not using more than one word in their search to see if the product already exists. For example if your idea is a glowing dog leash and all you do is search for "glowing dog leash" you may not find products labeled florescent, luminescent, radiant, luminous, incandescent, glowing, reflective, glow in the dark, and any other word that might fit that product.
You need to branch out and try any possible word you can think of that someone may use to describe your product/idea. Use a Thesaurus if needed. Most Word programs have one included in the software. The more thorough your search the better your chances of success in either finding you are pursuing a product that already exists or you help prove it does not exist.