FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

inventing

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I don't assume guilt by assocation, but I do reserve caution for any company that acquires a company previously known for a problem. There are to many Invention Submission companies out there that change their name once they get known for ripping people off and start business as usual under a different name.

I understand you have gotten 100 products to market. That still does not tell me the answer to the question of:
How many Inventors have made more from their royalties than they paid into the company? Davison54 changed their name to inventland and this was their record prior to the new name. So, you have a lot to prove to gain people trust other than them thinking you are just new owners with the same agenda.

http://www.davison54.com/disclosure.php

In 1997, the Federal Trade Commission filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, captioned F.T.C. v. Davison, 97-1278. As a result of the judge's decision in the case, the judge has ordered us to make the following disclosures to you regarding our track record over the last five years in successfully marketing our clients' products. You should read all of this information carefully before proceeding.
The total number of consumers who submitted new product ideas to Davison during the past five years is two hundred twenty nine thousand seven hundred thirty eight (229,738). Davison does not provide evaluation of commercial potential; thus, it has provided no positive or negative evaluation of this or any other product idea in the last five years. The total number of consumers who were offered a Pre-Inventegration? agreement (or similar contract for research services) is one hundred fifty seven thousand one hundred twenty two (157,122). The total number of consumers who were offered a Contingency Agreement (or other contract for licensing representation) is one hundred fifty seven thousand one hundred twenty two (157,122). The total number of consumers who purchased a Pre-Inventegration? Agreement or similar contract for research services is thirty five thousand one hundred forty three (35,143). The total number of consumers who signed a Contingency Agreement or other licensing representation agreement is thirty five thousand one hundred forty three (35,143). The total number of consumers who were offered a Product Sample Presentation Agreement (or any other contract for design services for a virtual or a product sample) is twenty five thousand one hundred thirty five (25,135). The number of consumers who signed a Product Sample Presentation Agreement or similar agreement is nine thousand eight hundred ninety five (9,895). The number of consumers who obtained a written license with a company that is not affiliated with Davison is one hundred ninety eight (198). The total number of consumers in the last five years who made more money in royalties than they paid, in total, under any and all agreements with Davison, is seven (7). The percentage of Davison's income that came from royalties paid on licenses of consumers' products is .001%.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Invention company is like lottery, and it’s good business. There are many inventors willing to spend money to buy a hope. It’s a game not everyone is allowed to play, you have to be blessed (some say cursed) with an idea seems differently out of ordinary first. Then you are entitled to enter such a game. Like a lottery, many people buy tickets, few win. It’s a good business for invention companies since there seem to be endless supply of inventors who are willing to joint.
Are there winners out of jointed inventors, how many? Well, if a company didn’t cheat on their testimony cases, there should be a few. However, unlike a lottery, there is no regulation demands invention companies to disclose out of how many inventors who jointed, they concluded those sample winners. As a private company, that’s all invention companies, they don’t have to tell you how much money they had made out of their inventors, or inventors want to be.
I am not discouraging all invention companies. There is a need for such services. I am just advice fellow inventors to smartly shop around, only to enter fair lottery games. Be aware of con companies who sell false hope and charge unreasonable amount of money on their services.
When I started to walk on my invention path, I had been praised on an idea by an executive of an invention company. After I disclosed my idea and they did their evaluation, he told me that my idea was brilliant and very promising, then he asked me to sign contract with them and start the process. (mean I have to pay them now). I hesitated and I told them I need to consider a little. I, at that time, was learning to do pattern search myself. So I did on that idea. I was very good about patent searching but I find my idea wasn’t novel enough just out of top few results. There was a 12 year olds patent for a similar idea. However, that executive kept calling me and warned me I should start the process sooner so no one would patent that idea before I do. (He didn’t even mention our first invent system). So you get it now? Until you know who can be trusted, don’t trust anyone. You need to looking out for yourself.

Postby baycompower » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:38 pm

baycompower
White Belt

{MODERATORS NOTE: WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS COMPANY. WE WOULD ADVISE STRONGLY IN CONDUCTING THE NECESSARY RESEARCH ON ANY INVENTION COMPANY BEFORE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM.
}}

I believe in full disclosure when forming a productive partnership, I hope most of you feel the same way. Here are some important points that I would like to share with you:

1 I invite you to visit our website: www.absolutelynew.com. You will see that we have a multiple faceted operation. We are here to help inventors at all levels to launch their inventions. You will also see our manufacturing and retail positions in the industry. Click on News tab to view our latest press coverage. For licensed products, see success stories in Inventors section. Our advisory board members are listed in “about usâ€

inventing

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

You have given a lot of information except You still haven't answered this question. How many Inventors have made more from their royalties than they paid into the company?

Postby baycompower » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 am

baycompower
White Belt

deleted
Last edited by baycompower on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

It doesn't matter.
People understand the risk and chance of buying lottery (or raffle if you will). They still buying.

Maybe a horse or dog race is better analogue since each owner (inventor) has high confidence in their runner.

But I would find a reasonable cheaper way to joint the game. Definitely not going to spend thousands or even tens of thousands on one invention

inventing

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:16 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

You Stated:
How many inventors have bought your book and made back (or not lost) that investment?

My book is not published at this time. I have talked with a couple of publishers and the sale price would be around $15. I believe that is a far cry from what your company will charge for your services. A number of services which they could do themselves with some research and leg work.
I have seven products on the market licensed spending less than $100 on each. I doubt your company can say that. I also have several more licenses in the works at this time. It can be done without going in debt and giving everyone else your money.

You stated:
The national average of success for patent holders according to the PTO website is 1.8%, working with our company increases those odds of success by 3 to 4 times the national rate for our inventors.

The reason there is such a low percentage of successes with people holding patents is “ Just because you have a patent does not make it marketableâ€

Postby baycompower » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 pm

baycompower
White Belt

Last edited by baycompower on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inventing

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

As you stated if they look at my website versus yours see what I have to offer. I am not selling any services on my site. I show my licensed inventions, Sell Sheets and offer advice on my site, this site, and others to help Inventors make informed decisions.
The 7 products I have licensed I did from home, on the phone, via email, snail mail, myself with only using a Sell sheet. You can see samples of those on this site as well as mine.
Your percenatge is higher because you have a larger staff. If I had your staffing mine would be higher also. My point is that Inventors can take a more hands on approach and accomplish a lot of the services they pay out the nose for now.
You mention having the highest royalty perecentage at 8%. I agree that is high when the industry average is 5%. But once you take out your percenatge doen't it drop them right back to the 5% or lower? What is your cut of the percentage deal you get an Inventor? I know Toy Brokers go from 25% to 50% depending on the deal.

For the record. I am not picking on your company. I am giving Inventors more options as I wrote in this post.

viewtopic.php?t=143&highlight=

I have found one thing common among most Inventors. The majority are paying thousands for services they don't need if they want a company to license their product. The Invention Submission Companies all push get a patent search done, file a provisional patent, file a full patent, do a market analysis report, have CAD drawings done. Why? Because you have to pay for these things and they provide a service doing just that.
Here are some things those sites neglected to tell you.

You can do a patent search yourself using the patent office website or Googles new patent search. The bad thing is if you don't find anything listed it doesn't mean a provisional patent hasn't been filed on it. You just can't see it. You can spend all of your money on a patent only to find out somone else has a lock on your spot. Also, you will find out that when you license your idea to a company they may want to improve on your idea or modify it in a way that your patent no longer covers the final product. So another patent has to be filed. Your oringinal patent money was wasted. I have 5 items on the market and didn't spend a dime on the patents. The companies licensing the ideas paid for the patents out of their pockets. The patent covers the product they are producing.

A provisional patent is cheaper, but starts a 1 year clock. If you don't get it licensed in that year you HAVE to apply for a full patent or your idea becomes public domain and anyone can use it. Once you start the full patent you are going to spend thousands to get it completed. Do you have the resources to pay for a full patent?

Full patents are great if you are a large company and can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend your patent. A patent normally takes over a year to complete if you are lucky. Some take years. The average person can not afford to go up against a Disney or Mattel sized company to fight off knockoffs. You will lose any profit you made and be in court for years. If you don't think that is true look at all the knockoffs of patented items on the shelf right now.

A market analysis is a waste of your money unless you are planning to produce and sell the item yourself. If you do one today and you find a company to license your idea they will do their own market analysis and not take your word for it on yours. So, you are paying for something they will do anyway. In the past 5 years I have had only 1 company ask me if I had done a market analysis on that product idea. I asked if they needed me to do one. He said no, they would do their own.
Plus, how long is your market analysis good for? If it has been a year since you had one done and you still haven't found a company to produce your product is your market analysis still valid? Can you afford to have one done every 6 months or yearly?

You don't always need Cad drawings or some other technical engineering drawing to get a point across. If you are doing electronic circuitry or something extremely high tech it would probably be advisable. If you are producing a low tech item or board game you don't have to be as technical. All of my drawings are two dimensional. They look professional, get the point across, are in color and have concise explantions included describing the items function and benefits.

STOP PAYING OUT THE NOSE FOR UNNEEDED SERVICES! YOU CAN DO THIS WITHOUT PAYING EVERYONE ELSE AND GOING BROKE!

Postby mreyland » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:08 pm

mreyland
White Belt

David,

So exactly how does your system work?....if I have an invention with a PPA you can get me a license deal for a fee?

I'm just trying to figure out what the model is...

Thanks

Mark
PreviousNext