FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:20 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

woodtee wrote:... What does the $795 cover? Do I get a patent or provisional? I am new to all this. Please forgive me...

You're setting yourself up to be taken to the cleaners. You get a pep talk and an attaboy. You don't get anything to do with a patent. They will give you their opinion of the product with no guarantees of patentability or success in the marketplace. These companies don't do sh*t but waste your time and $.

There are no shortcuts or guarantees in this game.

Postby Sunny » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 am

Sunny
Yellow Belt

Hello Cynthia,

I understand from the website you directed inventors to goto, that it would cost $ 795.00 for this service and it is not provided gratis. Is my understanding correct ?

Sunny

Postby Road Show » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:30 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:
woodtee wrote:... What does the $795 cover? Do I get a patent or provisional? I am new to all this. Please forgive me...

You're setting yourself up to be taken to the cleaners. You get a pep talk and an attaboy. You don't get anything to do with a patent. They will give you their opinion of the product with no guarantees of patentability or success in the marketplace. These companies don't do sh*t but waste your time and $.

There are no shortcuts or guarantees in this game.

BSG,

This is not an invention scam company, it is a university. Although their services may be valuable for some, the novice inventor is usually NOT the ideal candidate for this...usually these marketability studies are done for thousands of dollars. Generally the would be "entrepreneur" is the ideal candidate. Someone who is attempting to obtain funding rather than a licensee. I consider their offer to be generous as I know that companies pay thousands of dollars to consultants and consulting companies for this type of report.

I will grant you that someone who doesn't know how to use the information here has the potential for spending money unnecessarily, but that doesn't mean they've been "scammed" unless the provider of the report misrepresented what they were going to get, and made false statements to persuade the individual that the report would increase the likelyhood that their product would be successful. I don't get that that is what is going on at Washington State University.

Just my opinion...again.

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Road, I didn't say it was a scam company. Woodtee asked what they provided for the money and I told him/her, "a pep talk and an attaboy" that's basically it. They don't do the footwork, patent app. or negotiate any licensing deals. Although they may not imply anything more, it's still all you get for your money. And you're right it may be valuable to some, but for the most part a person in their position shouldn't be throwing money out the window at such an early stage of product development. If Woodtee has the money then fine go ahead, but if the budget is tight there are more cost effective ways to proceed. No?

Postby Road Show » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

bottlesling, That is right, very few inventors should consider spending money for these reports UNLESS they are looking for investors...then it could be the best value ever. I may be mistaken, but I think there is more "meat" to what they do at WSU than give a pep talk and an "attaboy". Companies employ MBA's and consultant's to get these exhuastive industry and project specific reports. They don't spend obscene amounts of money for just an "attaboy". These graduate students volunteer for the experience that will go on their resumes when they apply for jobs ant Hewlett Packard, Microsoft, and 3M. It's a win win situation, unless, as you say, we are talking about the would be inventor who has no clue as to what they need or don't need...but I can guarantee you that these graduate students would probably realize very quickly that their best work will never result in something they will be happy to point to in their resume, and will look for a more rewarding project on which to devote their limited time. The misconception is that the fees charged will result in profit, when in fact the fees merely cover the expenses incured in running a "not for profit", WSU program.

The only objection I had was with your portrayal of what these guys are doing up there; otherwise, I think we are in agreement as to the relevance of what they are doing to what the average novice inventor needs.

:D :D Tis all good, my friend.

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:12 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Good points. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...

Just remember- CAVEAT EMPTOR :wink:

Postby Sunny » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Sunny
Yellow Belt

Hi RSG,

Thanks for the headsup on the WSU Invention evaluation dept. and the $ 795.00 they charge. I am now able to better understand and appreciate how and when their services should be used after I read your post about it. It is reasonable, as long as you know what it is it they are going to provide and how one intends to or should use it.

If one also knows the head-ace and costs that it would save in the long run for such guidance, or it what it would cost for a similar service from a for profit institution, it would give a lot more appreciation to what they are providing.

Thanks,

Sunny

Postby n99269 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:54 pm

n99269
White Belt

Thanks Sunny for the info on the WSU program.
I think it's just what I need at this point. If anyone thinks there is a better program geared to provide this level of assistance, I'd sure like to know about it. A service like this could be in the thousands anywhere else!!
True, it would be for those at that juncture where market analysis and feasibility to proceed further would help and I believe this program would be extremely valuable to most in that position.

Postby Sunny » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:54 am

Sunny
Yellow Belt

Hi n99269,

You may want to try a similar assessment offered by Baylor University invention evaluation program, at Waco, Texas, for $ 150.00. It is cheaper and just as good as it is being done by a University.

Sunny

Postby Codex » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:44 am

Codex
White Belt

This is probably a legitimate service but I would still caution:

if you don't have notarized notebooks at the very least I wouldn't do this. it's too dangerous. A providential patent would be even better.

All i'm saying is it would be horrible to spend $800 to have your idea stolen. Again, this is probably a legitimate offer made by sincere honest people but that can't be true in every case at all times.

Further, and I hate to be a jerk here, but if you need someone to tell you whether your invention will make money at market the sad truth is that usually it wont.

That's what I've heard the experts say anyway, me personally I'm not such a pessimist.
Previous