FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

A machine to get rid of hurricanes

Postby brian334 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:57 pm

brian334
White Belt

We need a war on hurricanes,
Brian Sandler brian334@peoplepc.com

I recently received a patent on a machine designed to destroy hurricanes.
At my website http://bsandler.com there is a complete description of the machine.
Please contact me at the above address if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Brian Sandler

Postby Codex » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:30 am

Codex
White Belt

Wow, that's a huge order, dissolving a hurricane. I don't want to burst your bubble but does the inventor realize how much energy that would require? Not to mention that hurricanes are a part of nature, and there will be lots of people who moan about someone preventing their formation. They will find some species of wild life that depends on yearly hurricanes for propagation, I'm sure there are several.

Thinking right off of the top of my head the only way that i can see to deform a hurricane would be via high frequency sonic blasting or some other such method of causing disruption in the cyclical movement. Microwaves would be too dangerous, regular bombs too expensive. Any sort of shock wave in the eye with incredibly high frequency might break it up, but your talking about A LOT of energy. I'd be interested in some day knowing how it could be done, it makes an fascinated thought exercise.

Ok, I'm reading the abstract now. I know you did not ask for a critique but so far I'm not impressed. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, this is just a mental exercise for me. If I'm later proven wrong in my observations I will readily say so. The first problem that I see is that the inventor states that the agent of change is a machine and so far seems to state that the machine will act on the hurricane from within. What size machine could hope to make any effect on a hurricane? If it is a very large machine that is somehow taking in enough air and manipulating it to somehow affecting the eye of the storm. It says that it would mechanically blow air from the eye wall to the eye. Ok, i get that. destabilize it. the only problem is, what kind of a machine could do that? It would have to be as big as the eye itself to blow enough air, but more importantly, what is supporting it? Is it flying? Is it being suspended from an air plane or helicopter?

i'll continue in a separate post...

Postby Codex » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:20 am

Codex
White Belt

ok, so now i see that it is a 'ship' and i can see from the design that it's an air ship. ok...now, I'll assume that this air ship is unmanned, because sending a living breathing person into a storm like that would be insane. Assuming that you could even get it into the eye has the inventor considered what that storms are very electrically charged? I hope the ship is not much of a conductor.

Carbon fans would make it light, which is good, and reasonably strong if it has a carbon frame, but one false move, one false step and it will surely be destroyed. these storms, hurricanes are always moving. the ship will have to be guided by GPS at the very least to be able to avoid being sucked into the arms of the storm. Does it have any shielding from electrical interference? Any sort of static or degradation of the signal at all, even a micro second's worth could get the craft destroyed fairly quickly.

Ok reading....Done.

In closing I must say that hurricanes are very large, on average 300 miles across, with the eye being about 10 miles. Can a machine that is barely 1500 feet across with a series of fans that are 90 feet across hope to make any effect on it's structure? I think not. As soon as air is released from the fans the storm would simply reincorporate it into the arms from which it came. I hope that you see this as the constructive criticism that it is meant to be.