FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Stephen something tells me those 20+ products weren't patentable in the first place. Who would waste their time getting a patent on a Michael Jordan basketball hoop anyway?

What have you developed in the past 25 years that wasn't a marketing gimmick? We need to differentiate between simple novelties and truly innovative and unique inventions.

It's like how Ham Head Hall bragged about all his inventions without telling us what they were only to find out one was a label for a honey glazed ham (ergo "Ham Head Hall"). There is a difference between packaging and a real invention. Maybe that's why you don't spend time getting patents, they aren't real inventions?

Not saying you aren't a marketing wiz, but let's make a distinction between what's what. I would expect you to give us the down low on what those products were, since you brought them up.

Postby williamross7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 pm

williamross7
White Belt

StephenKey wrote:Most inventors let fear guide them. I have licensed over 20 products the last 25 years many with no patents at all. I found that if you do your homework, determine if your ideas marketable before you spend those dollars on a patent, it's time well spent. Most inventors after spending thousands of dollars on a patent all they can show for it is a plaque on the wall. A PPA gives you that one year to determine if your ideas are marketable.

Well, as a manufactured inventor all that I can say is that this rhetoric is consistent with the "as to why" a person would need a patent to begin with. Some ideas are far ahead of their time and may seem without merit at first glance. The problem with one year to "know if your ideas are marketable", is that if you file for a PPA you only have that year to have a salable product, repeat, a salable product which is generating cash flow. Many times this is not feasible unless your design is based on simplicity with a very high demand.

A utility patent application filing will buy you 18 months before the USPTO publishes your idea for the world to see, at that time, you will "know if your ideas are marketable", given that you steadfastly chase your goal.

Given the state of the market, this allows for another 2 1/2 to 3 years before you will find out if you've a patentable idea or if it is too obvious or otherwise without fresh merit.

More time for an idea is crucial to the little guy. Driving funds from the bank to all of the different avenues that will require quite a bit of beans for dinner. Many fresh inventions come from lower middle pay scales as the need for invention is indeed necessity. Consider many aren't as well off as others and they need to be VERY, VERY protective of their potential windfall idea. Unless YOU have a big winning lottery ticket that YOUwant to give away?

Postby StephenKey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Phil,....great question, finally. Most inventors are not reinventing the
wheel, just a simple improvement, so yes file your provisional patent application, determined if anybody really wants it ,and then file a regular patent application. And yes you are right, most of my products have had a very short life span, 2/4 years maybe, the Michael Jordan wall ball sold for 10 years with no protection whatsoever. I have licensed many products in the novelty gift industry that only sold for one season, big deal. I have licensed products in the packaging industry, the toy industry, the novelty industry, the back-to-school industry, and a few others. Please look at my website to see products that never made it to market.

If you think you have a big idea ,one that will change the world, sure build a big patent portfolio because one patent is not enough and remember your patent will not protect you.
Last edited by StephenKey on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby StephenKey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Oh, by the way anybody can get a patent, all you need is a wallet full of money. The USPTO hands them out like water. Most patents would never hold up in court and aren't worth a dime. And yes you can patent anything, my spin label which I have 12 patents, was patented 40 years ago.

Postby williamross7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:05 pm

williamross7
White Belt

StephenKey wrote:Oh, by the way anybody can get a patent, all you need is a wallet full of money. The USPTO hands them out like water. Most patents would never hold up in court and aren't worth a dime. And yes you can patent anything, my spin label which I have 12 patents, was patented 40 years ago.

Wow, how condescending... So i take it that you must sell that service? That would be the only reason you would act that NAIVE.

Postby StephenKey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:10 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Sometimes the truth hurts, this is your wake up call. I do not sell services. I loved the red capital letters.

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Stephen what was patented? What kinds of patents were they? What were the other 19 products you developed?

Postby StephenKey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:24 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

phil, the 12 patents were all for my spin label, building a patent portfolio, a wall of patents, I have been in federal court, I sued Legos. If you like to see a few of the other products please visit my website. I almost forgot, the patents for my spin label were for the method of manufacturing, since this was not a new idea.

Postby williamross7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 pm

williamross7
White Belt

StephenKey wrote:Sometimes the truth hurts, this is your wake up call. I do not sell services. I loved the red capital letters.

They were not for you..they were for the potential inventors that would otherwise fall into your ploy. And condescending to patronizing....ha, nice try. I'm wide awake but I know when when I've made my point. But this made it even easier....

I understand that there is absolutely zero risk on my part. I can preview the inventRight system in its entirety without risking a single dime. If it's not the most informative and easy investment I've ever made, or if I'm not completely satisfied for any reason, I can return the course within 30 days and my entire purchase price (minus shipping and a $20 processing fee) will be refunded -- no questions asked.

I will receive the complete inventright system for
$489

I authorize Stephen Key and inventRight to charge my credit card the amount of $489. [Plus shipping charges]

I can almost hear Billy Mays...lol!

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:19 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

StephenKey wrote:phil, the 12 patents were all for my spin label, building a patent portfolio, a wall of patents, I have been in federal court, I sued Legos. If you like to see a few of the other products please visit my website. I almost forgot, the patents for my spin label were for the method of manufacturing, since this was not a new idea.

So you patented something that was not unique?

You wrote earlier, "I have licensed over 20 products the last 25 years many with no patents at all."

I'm wondering why you won't just tell us what the 20 products were that you developed. Why do I have to search your website? I'm not trying to be obnoxious but this is raising my suspicions about what you actually "developed".

Will you let us know when you start blogging about your new product venture? It's too bad you don't want to do that here.
PreviousNext