FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby StephenKey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Good work William .....you got me.

Postby thien63 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:54 pm

thien63
Yellow Belt

In my case, My invention or design #3 that transform even a small car into a truck. What's kind of patent that will protect it. How much will it cost ? Obviously, The buyers are for auto manufacturers.

Or show the manufacturers first , if they agree to buy then get patent ?

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:14 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

I think it's important to get the feedback from industry experts before spending time and money. Most inventions never make it to market, a PPA gives you one year, to investigate, to uncover the true worth of your invention.

Postby thien63 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:41 pm

thien63
Yellow Belt

With the patent , I can show the design and the animation how the car transform to a truck. I can get more exposure on the net, and hopefully somebody in auto manufacturer may noticed.

I save money by not get patent, but I cannot show my design. PPA only last a year. After that they can get it for free

What's my other option ? will the lawyer (or anybody put up the money for patent) patent it for free and split half of the money. long shot always pay more.

If the manufacturer agree to buy the rights, how do you price it ?

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Most inventors think they're selling their patent or prototype, but they're actually selling benefits. Put together a nice sell sheet with the benefit statement at the top and show it to people in the industry, within that first year. If you get the interest, if you get the green lights, then turn that PPA into a regular patent application. I have found that if I filed a patent to early I will need to file another patent because things change.

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:28 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:
StephenKey wrote:phil, the 12 patents were all for my spin label, building a patent portfolio, a wall of patents, I have been in federal court, I sued Legos. If you like to see a few of the other products please visit my website. I almost forgot, the patents for my spin label were for the method of manufacturing, since this was not a new idea.

So you patented something that was not unique?

You wrote earlier, "I have licensed over 20 products the last 25 years many with no patents at all."

I'm wondering why you won't just tell us what the 20 products were that you developed. Why do I have to search your website? I'm not trying to be obnoxious but this is raising my suspicions about what you actually "developed".

Will you let us know when you start blogging about your new product venture? It's too bad you don't want to do that here.

Stephen why do you ignore posts that ask direct questions?

What were those 20 products you licensed?

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Phil, why would I ignore you, that would be impossible. As I said before please visit my website and you can see a few of the other products that have brought the market.

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Phil, I am going to try to give you a complete list. It's been 30 years so I will try my best. If not you will keep trying to bust my balls.

1 - Applause - A line of hand puppets called Up, Up and Away. They had smiley faces. A line of 6 puppets.
2 - Applause - Fast Food puppets. You can see that on my website. Hamburgers, Taco's, etc. 6 Puppets.
3 - Applause - Musical instruments. They made sound. 6 Instruments.
4 - Applause - Graduations owls - 3 different sizes.
5 - Applause - Graduation elephants. - 2 Sizes.
6 - Applause - Plastic Darts that said stuff like "Stuck on you". Called Sweet Darts. You can see these on my website. 8 Darts.
There are a few more that I don't remember. These were with the gift an novelty industry. I have talked about this before. Very short lived products. No protection. They are not inventions. This industry did not require patents.

Worlds of Wonder - Hatty Surprise. Big hats on little dolls that opened up. $15,000 advance. Product never went to market. No protection. No an invention.
Class Act - School supply company back in the 90's. Did Food Flight for them. Lunch bag that folded up and could be used as a frisbee. Never came to market. They paid me a $10,000 advance. Patent was applied for because it functioned but because they never brought it to market they abandon the patent.
Class Act - Cool Pals - Characters that went into your lunch pail to keep your food cool. $10,000 advance, never went to market.
Class Act - Rotating pen and pencil sharpener - Paid advance but never went to market.

Boy, I didn't have a lot of luck there did I.

Pop Up 3D Hat. $15,000 advance, but never made it to market. This was in the early 90's. I can't remember the name of the company.

Ohio Art - Michael Jordan Wall Ball - Finally another one came to market. Sold for 10 years. Sold in Wal-Mart and other mass retailers. Even on a Wheaties Box.
First year $100,000 in royalties. TV Commercial. Finally making some real money. They also did other famous basketball players in multiple sizes.

Trudeau - Disney Cups and Canteens - Sold for 5 Years in world wide Disney stores and theme parks. 10 Different designs and sizes. Ohh, Now I am making some money. This item was patented.

Spinformation Rotating Labels - On such products as Rexall Sundown Herbals (over 70 SKU's), Jim Beam DeKuyper Pucker, Nescafe Coffee and more. 300 Million units sold. 13 awards, 12 patents. Licensed with Coca Cola in Mexico. Received an advance but the product failed.

HotPicksUSA - Unique Guitar Picks. Brought to market myself. Worlds largest selection of guitar picks. Best In Show award 2 years running at the NAMM International Music Show, largest Music show in the US. Sold over $1 Million last year.

Twist N Chill - Spinformation product launch with Disney, Cars and Hannah Montana. Spring 2009. 9 Cars, 9 Hannah Montana bottles

Phil, hopefully this satisfies you, but I doubt it. I am sure I have forgotten a couple products along the way but it has been 30 years. There have been a lot of hits and misses. Some of these were great products some were crap.

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:01 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

StephenKey wrote:Phil, I am going to try to give you a complete list. It's been 30 years so I will try my best. If not you will keep trying to bust my balls.

1 - Applause - A line of hand puppets called Up, Up and Away. They had smiley faces. A line of 6 puppets.
2 - Applause - Fast Food puppets. You can see that on my website. Hamburgers, Taco's, etc. 6 Puppets.
3 - Applause - Musical instruments. They made sound. 6 Instruments.
4 - Applause - Graduations owls - 3 different sizes.
5 - Applause - Graduation elephants. - 2 Sizes.
6 - Applause - Plastic Darts that said stuff like "Stuck on you". Called Sweet Darts. You can see these on my website. 8 Darts.
There are a few more that I don't remember. These were with the gift an novelty industry. I have talked about this before. Very short lived products. No protection. They are not inventions. This industry did not require patents.

Worlds of Wonder - Hatty Surprise. Big hats on little dolls that opened up. $15,000 advance. Product never went to market. No protection. No an invention.
Class Act - School supply company back in the 90's. Did Food Flight for them. Lunch bag that folded up and could be used as a frisbee. Never came to market. They paid me a $10,000 advance. Patent was applied for because it functioned but because they never brought it to market they abandon the patent.
Class Act - Cool Pals - Characters that went into your lunch pail to keep your food cool. $10,000 advance, never went to market.
Class Act - Rotating pen and pencil sharpener - Paid advance but never went to market.

Boy, I didn't have a lot of luck there did I.

Pop Up 3D Hat. $15,000 advance, but never made it to market. This was in the early 90's. I can't remember the name of the company.

Ohio Art - Michael Jordan Wall Ball - Finally another one came to market. Sold for 10 years. Sold in Wal-Mart and other mass retailers. Even on a Wheaties Box.
First year $100,000 in royalties. TV Commercial. Finally making some real money. They also did other famous basketball players in multiple sizes.

Trudeau - Disney Cups and Canteens - Sold for 5 Years in world wide Disney stores and theme parks. 10 Different designs and sizes. Ohh, Now I am making some money. This item was patented.

Spinformation Rotating Labels - On such products as Rexall Sundown Herbals (over 70 SKU's), Jim Beam DeKuyper Pucker, Nescafe Coffee and more. 300 Million units sold. 13 awards, 12 patents. Licensed with Coca Cola in Mexico. Received an advance but the product failed.

HotPicksUSA - Unique Guitar Picks. Brought to market myself. Worlds largest selection of guitar picks. Best In Show award 2 years running at the NAMM International Music Show, largest Music show in the US. Sold over $1 Million last year.

Twist N Chill - Spinformation product launch with Disney, Cars and Hannah Montana. Spring 2009. 9 Cars, 9 Hannah Montana bottles

Phil, hopefully this satisfies you, but I doubt it. I am sure I have forgotten a couple products along the way but it has been 30 years. There have been a lot of hits and misses. Some of these were great products some were crap.

I guess there are a couple things you don't know about this game. When you mention something in a sales pitch, be prepared to back it up. YOU are the one who brought them up. I simply asked what they were several posts ago and you went on and on about everything else besides what I was asking. You even talked about a PPA which I never brought up.

I don't think holding you to your word is busting your cojones, it's called accountability. Personally, I'd be proud to answer if someone asked me. You should nip these types of questions in the bud before they turn into more than what they are. Thanks for the answer and please don't think I have a vendetta against you. I just can't stand B.S. artists. If anything it gives you an opportunity to strut your stuff. You should be worried if people DON'T pay attention to you. This way you stay current and not relegated to obscurity.

If anything, you should thank me. :lol:

Postby inventor-x » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

BSG, Nice job on finally getting an answer to a simple question :lol:

I THANK YOU 8) :lol:
PreviousNext