FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Phil.....Thank You!

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:34 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Please share inventor-x ,what's your story?

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:34 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

You're welcome! :)

Postby inventor-x » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:45 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

TO CHANGE THE WORLD :!:

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:55 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Please share.

Postby Levi Porter » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

thien63 wrote:
I save money by not get patent, but I cannot show my design. PPA only last a year. After that they can get it for free

You could do a public disclosure on the Internet, that buys you 1 year for free. There are notable risks.

And, if you're comfortable with doing your own Utility App, the first initial fees are only around 500.00 for an individual, and that buys you another 18 months or more, depending on whether or not you use a Non Publication Request.

It is a bit of a gamble though, with an initial public disclosure, there is a risk of not necessarily thievery, but someone working around it. If your disclosure and PPA were solid, followed up with a good Utility app, you still might be able to find a manufacturer that would take it on. You should be able to contact every auto manufacturer in the world before running out of time.

I would guess the auto industry is one of the more difficult ones out there, considering there are so few manufacturers. That may also work to your advantage, because you will be able to find out relatively quickly if any of them will work with you.

Postby StephenKey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

Good advice.

Postby thien63 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:17 pm

thien63
Yellow Belt

Thanks for the advices. What's happen all the manufacturers are not interested after they saw the design. But they can get around by built the car with my design while my utility application expires. Will a non-disclosure form expire too ?

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

thien63 wrote:Thanks for the advices. What's happen all the manufacturers are not interested after they saw the design. But they can get around by built the car with my design while my utility application expires. Will a non-disclosure form expire too ?

It's a bit confusing. I used a couple of examples. I'll try to clarify.

Non Publication Requests expire only if a patent is granted (or abandoned possibly). This is good in a scenario where you don't want the public to see your invention for the longest amount of time.

Utility applications only expire if they become an actual patent or are abandoned.

If the manufacturers don't like your idea or you, and work around it on their own, you're stuck with legal recourse in the court system. No matter what you do, you will need to eventually trust, or at least show your idea to manufactures.

Possible approaches:

Do a public disclosure by posting your design on the Internet. This gives you one year before having to file a PPA, and establishes that you are the original inventor. Draw back: The rest of the world doesn't see it this way, and considers it public domain, meaning that they can produce it without consideration to you. An auto manufacturer might want International patent rights. If they do, then privately producing your design and idea, filing a PPA, then contacting manufactures might be a better route. Something to think about.

If you do not do a public disclosure, file a PPA, and need more than one year to contact manufactures, you can file a Utility App that directly references your PPA, where you gain an additional 18 months, and if you use a Non Publication Request when you first file, you will likely have even more time before your idea gets published.

Postby thien63 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 pm

thien63
Yellow Belt

Thanks again Levi Porter, What would you do if you were me in this situation ?
PreviousNext