FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Oprah's Next Big Idea

Postby 5rocks » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:19 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

We auditioned for the Oprah/QVC Big Idea contest yesterday in Chicago.
Wow, what a difference from American Inventor. It was much more low key and everyone had "appointments" instead of first come, first serve. It was a lot of fun. We were in and out in an hour! The judge that saw our product seemed to like it although they didn't really give any indicators to most people. We had nothing to lose and it went smoothly. A lot of people were nervous which can be expected. I told several people to just talk about their product and not worry about what is going to come out of their mouth. They expect you to be nervous. I had several people see our chair system and a couple of them recognized us from the show. It started with, "hey are you the" and "Is that the" Many of the people I met yesterday are going to be in Chicago next Saturday for the A.I. auditions. It was fun giving people pointers when they asked. We should hear something by April 27th about QVC. See you next week in Chi-Town and good luck!

Pat Rock
www.thetakeaseat.com

Postby Michelle » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I know a few of the people from American Inventor season one were planning to audition for Oprah, did you see anyone there?

What was the type of questions they asked?

Good luck!!

Michelle

Postby 5rocks » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:07 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Hi Michelle. They asked questions like "Are you on the market yet" and
what is the m.s.r.p.? Stuff like that. They were very friendly. Totally about the product.

Pat

oprah

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Oprah runs a tight ship. That is why it is more professional in its handling of people than the high glitz and no substance shows.

:D
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Michelle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Yup...that's why she's a Billionaire.

She gives as well as gets and does not try to make people look like fools for her own personal gain.

Chicago Oprah/QVC Update

Postby 4tunate » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 am

4tunate
White Belt

Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything back from their interview at the Chicago Oprah/QVC big idea challenge? The waiting is the hard part! I had an interview with someone from QVC and then she called a second interviewer and then a 3rd came over to talk with me. Before I knew it there was a photographer and then a camera crew from QVC that had me say my presentation all over again. After that a woman with an Oprah badge came over with a second camera crew and asked me to explain my product and tell them what my inspiration was. I then went and spoke to one of the "experts" about manufacturing and he gave me his card saying that I should call him in a week.

I left the convention center and about an hour later someone from the Oprah show called my cell to ask a bunch of questions about the product, my family, our story etc. She said not to get too excited because she just had some questions and it didn't mean anything. Did this happen to anyone else? We are soooo anxious to know if we will be selected. It feels like we are so close! We have been working so hard and have sacrificed so much for so long just to get this far with our "Big Idea" and it's just such an emotional experience.

Does anyone have any idea if we will hear anything before the 27th???

Thanks!

Postby Burgie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Burgie
White Belt

Sounds like you are being seriously considered, good luck - the Oprah Show seems like a good situation if you can produce enough product within the time schedule.

I went to the LA audition, they sent several reviewers around to see what I was showing, then someone who seemed to be the one in charge came to ask the 20 questions. She really liked the product but finally admited to me it didn't fit the demographics and was not demonstrable enough for TV. She said, close but not good enough, thanks for everything but we have to say no.

I liked getting the answer up front, (not the one I wanted to hear), but at least I didn't have to wait around thinking about it for more than 5 minutes.

Postby bonnie1990 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:22 am

bonnie1990
White Belt

wow 4tunate!
that sounds very promising and i wish you luck.
i wish i could do the oprah contest but my invention is not a QVC thing.
keep us updated please! 8) 8)

Patiently Waiting

Postby 4tunate » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:56 am

4tunate
White Belt

Yes, it sounded like we could possibly be selected but the waiting is very hard. Now the more time that goes by, we start to second guess ourselves and wonder if they gave a lot of people that kind of attention and we were just one of many. Also, of course I'm kicking myself for all the things I didn't say, the things I did say and wishing I was more prepared for the phone call from the Oprah woman.

We've gotten some great exposure for our product so far and have actually received some great media exposure so I wonder if they think we are over-exposed, we're not of course although the media attention has felt wonderful, we are yet to receive tons of orders so we really do need a platform like Oprah and QVC to introduce the product to consumers. I also worry that I was too excited when they called and will they think I'll act like a lunatic if they were to select us for the show? One of the interviewers did ask if I could get the price points down lower which I said that I could and would by switching manufacturers so I don't know if they will see that as a negative. Perhaps they just want products that have everything all set and are 100% ready to go.

Like I said, the not knowing is the worst part - there's so much time to experience everything from optimism to feeling rejected and everything in between. If anyone hears anything could you please let me know? Thanks so much everybody!

Another Oprah Chicago Story

Postby Average Inventor » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

This past Monday was our Monthly meeting of the ICGC (Inventors Connection of Greater Cleveland) where we had a round table discussion of what we are up to and a lady who had only come to one other meeting was there with a possible success story.

To give you some background she came for her first time last month and was very shy until later after the meeting where some of us chat and hang out at a Chinese restaraunt. She told us all about here invention and how she had really had confidence in it's marketability. The president of the group and I urged he to go to the Oprah tryouts since her product was a perfect fit for Oprah's target market.

Skipping back to last Mondays meeting. She said that not only did judge after judge come over but the head judge graced her booth and was really excited about her product. To follow up they even asked her to send in 2 samples in a weeks time so they can get rolling. It sounds like she has a good shot based on what she experienced. She hadn't heard anything new though since she reported this news on April 2nd.

Your Average Inventor
Next