FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Grumble...Grumble

Postby 4tunate » Fri May 04, 2007 5:04 pm

4tunate
White Belt

Okay, I've kept quite for about a week now just because I didn't want to be the forum parade rainer and be disgruntled about the Oprah Big Idea Challenge...however, after seeing the show I really have to ask...what in the world was that? Okay so Oprah aired the Big Idea Challenge - the top 8 (not 10 as was mentioned) were like these completely average house wife inventions. A cooking pan for lasagna that the sides fold down when it's cooked so your lasagna doesn't stick, some random flavored muffins, a wreath that holds christmas cards, a potato peeler that holds the peels blah blah blah... WHAT? How are these BIG ideas???? I do commend all of these people for having a dream and pursuing it, that's great for them...truly but for this particular show, I just don't understand. These are all everyday things and there is nothing BIG idea-y about them! Okay, wanna know who won??? the lasagna pan won...WOW - I totally don't get it. There was only one "idea" that was really kind of a BIG idea which was the remote control marker thing and other than that I don't know what happened! Why wouldn't Oprah have really cool, over the top things that people had never seen before? Why wouldn't she want to WOW the audience??? and the judges were...the food network lady and Carson from queer eye for the straight guy...don't get me wrong, they are both great and very talented in their own right but I'm just frustrated that the judges weren't some super great inventor people or product marketing guru's or something more appropriate.

If there were some really cool, unique and NEW ideas, I really wouldn't have been upset, atleast then I could say "Oh yeah, that was tough competition" It should have been called "Big Craft Ideas" or something like "Homemakers challenge" Honestly, if I would have known they were looking for things like that then I don't know if I would have gone through all that I did to go to Chicago. I'm really okay with the fact that my "big idea" wasn't selected, yes I would have been overjoyed if it had been but I can totally be the bigger person and understand that there are people out there with better ideas than mine - I'm just really bummed that I didn't see any on the Oprah show this week. I suppose I should add that I think the world of Oprah, what an amazing, driven, giving and wonderful woman. She is truly one of the greatest gifts of our lifetime, she is definitely making the world a better place. I really just don't understand this particular show, that's all. Maybe I'm just used to Oprah WOWing us all and I just don't know why this particular show wasn't filled with great WOW type things...this segment had the foundation to be AMAZING...just my opinion but it's just extra dissappointing that I wasn't even beat out by some really super fantastic "Big Ideas"...

I Concur!!!!!

Postby The Prrez » Fri May 04, 2007 5:51 pm

The Prrez
White Belt

I have to agree with you! I was totally disappointed and shocked with the products that were selected. What were they thinking? The product that won, was actually a good idea. The peeler was innovative, but the other items were questionable. The lady bug cars were interesting, but that was about it.

I too can accept my invention not making it, but to see other ideas that really sucked made me question their intentions.

Anyway we have to keep striving forward and try to make our own way. Keep it moving people!!!

Postby Michelle » Fri May 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

The big thing is that its a QVC product right, so it has to be something they thought they could sell millions of over the TV. ANything super intersting would have been harder to package and sell so I think they focused on tiny small imprvements to existing products so they could sell them

What do you think?

Postby 4tunate » Fri May 04, 2007 7:47 pm

4tunate
White Belt

I think you're right Michelle, I guess I just wish it had been a QVC search - period. No Oprah, no fancy name like "Big Idea Challenge" it is what it is, it's just not a BIG idea challenge...maybe they could have called it the "tiny small improvement challenge" then I would have known what to expect : )

Postby Road Show » Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, don't you all think about stuff that you could sell that WOULD fit the QVC criteria? IMHO, the difference between inventors that make money, and those that don't, is the difference between those that invent based on a "need" (even if it is just a need for QVC to have impulse items that sell out quickly) and their understanding of marketing, versus those that are just awestruck with their own ideas that WAIT for the market to come to them.

RSG

Postby Average Inventor » Fri May 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Road Show,

Well said :)

Postby Burgie » Sun May 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Burgie
White Belt

No Man's Land

That's what they should have called this show. Not even the Judge,... nevermind.

At least the winning product is patented. There are only a couple of other patented baking pans with folding sides try the special Google Patent Search Engine http://www.google.com/patents - There is one pan which was patented in 1974. It features one removable side panel. Question, does the winning pan leak liquid at the hinges during the cooking process?

If you liked this invention contest, you will love American Inventor on ABC later this season.

Who needs Oprah : ) How bout Marie Claire?

Postby 4tunate » Wed May 30, 2007 6:36 am

4tunate
White Belt

Okay so it might not be as great as Oprah but guess what? One of my handbag designs, The Multi Media Bag, has been selected as a semi finalist in the Glam / Marie Claire Be Discovered Handbag Design Contest! I would love if you could vote for me!!! My family and I have been relentlessly pursuing our American Dream and have come so far with absolutely no budget and against all odds - this could finally be our big break!!!

Please send to everyone you know - the more votes, the better!!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!!

-Aneisha (I'm finalist D)

http://www.glam.com/g/p/3014655/4924797 ... 61/?page=4

To see better pics of our Multi Media Bag prototype (which is so much cooler than the drawing in the contest, visit our site bubblegearfashion.com)

Inventor expert?

Postby chic1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:20 am

chic1
Green Belt

Anyone still have the inventor experts info from to Oprah presentation?

Yes

Postby 4tunate » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:56 am

4tunate
White Belt

I do, a gentleman I met in Chicago, I think he is from LA though he did ask me to call and never returned my calls, not sure if he'll be able to help you. I will look for his card and post it when I find it : )
PreviousNext