FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Pitchmen

Postby inventor-x » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Discovery Channels New Show

Pitchmen

Re: Pitchmen

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Yeah, that might be one to catch. I'm gonna wait until the first episode before I formulate an opinion.

I wonder how many of the 10,000 viewers here are dealing with consumer products that are well-suited for direct response ads...or whether it would be worth the producers' time to come looking here.

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:46 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Well, after having watched the first episode, I can say it was pretty interesting. I thought the format was fantastic. But the product selection was pathetic (gel insoles and a cupholder). The producers have a golden opportunity with the Discovery Channel. I just hope they don't squander it by focusing too much on quirky personalities or "pet rock" ideas. There are many good projects out there that could use the exposure to get off the ground.

Overall, I give the show a B+

But, I can tell that the producers have an immediate and drastic need for decent products, because the show won't last a single season with products like the two they used for the opener...

Postby jackbnimble56 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:00 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

I haven't seen it yet but I tried sending an e-mail to the site to inquire about how they select inventions for the show. Nothing but deafening silence as of yet...

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby inventor-x » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:21 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

I didn't know if that was the first episode or not because I was gone the week before.

Hi jackbnimble56

What they are looking for are products with mass market appeal.

3 to 1 - IF they can make & sell enough product to make $3 million you might possibly make $1 million dollars.

Venture Capital at its best :cry:

(edit) Price point needs to be $19.99 :shock:
Last edited by inventor-x on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I'd like to know what their angle is...I really hope they don't think people actually care about how infomercials are produced.

And, please god, tell me they don't think anyone would tune in, week after week, just to hear Billy Mays yell.

Postby inventor-x » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

I'm on the fence :?:

Television Entertainment :?

I will still watch to see what happens :shock:

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I thought the second episode was a bit better (dual saw and foot mops).

It's was a hint that they will consider products like the saw, which are presumably well outside their standard price of $19.99

It also showed how a female can use her body to get herself ahead...but I think we already knew that.

I have to admit, though, that I'd love to get my hands on a pair of those ff-f-f-footmops.

Postby JoeValachi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am

JoeValachi
White Belt

I work for a company that produces direct response television commercials and I check out this website. The tv show gives a good behind the scenes look at what really goes on. Maybe 5% of products get to television, the problem is very few people have the financial resources to see their idea through.

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Hi Joe.

Could you be more specific about the financial resources, because we've got a number of products that we could run by you.

The Pitchmen Show made it sound like they want money from the innovators just to be on the show. So, their angle isn't very clear.

If this is regarding stock-on-hand, then I believe that whole question is up for discussion.
Next