FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: Pitchmen

Postby Scrupulous » Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Third episode...a shark siren and a short-range FM transmiter for cellphones.

So, it seems like these guys really go for gimicky. What puzzles me is why the Discovery Channel is even interested.

The best I've been able to get from the show is some background on producing infomercials. That could be useful for inventor who want to just produce their own segments, using the right video equipment. But, that will quickly fizzle for DC and the producers. And of course, like every other show, they have to throw in a segment where some silly people try to solicit their silly ideas.

For now, the show is a bust because they seem to think Billy Mays is a celebrity...very poor market analysis.

...and DC has already resorted to Pitchmen marathons...woo-HOOOOOOO

bye

Postby inventor-x » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Scrupulous

You beat me to the punch.

What I've noticed, It is Inventory & some of these products have been around for awhile.

My question is where do they go to test these products that give them the numbers that there looking for to promote various products :?:

How many $$$ do they spend to promote products - Is that what there trying to do - Scare the small business person :?:

That's saying - To be successful one has to spend big $$$ in advertising & marketing to be successful - BS

If anything the show makes Billy look like a fool & a big jerk, which he is in my opinion.

The only thing that makes Billy successful is the tone of his voice & seeing one of his commercials every time you see a commercial dominating the air waves, that's not success, If that's what you call being successful :?:

Going Billy's route an Inventor will make some money but don't count on big money & it may even cost you to get started with the Investment of an Inventory.

If you're an Inventor with an Inventory, you're already successful 8) :lol:

Postby inventor-x » Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

If you saw this weeks episode I wonder what was the Inspiration for the product What Odor :?:

Maybe Envy :?:

Postby inventor-x » Thu May 14, 2009 8:13 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

The show finally had something of value to offer in this week's episode.

I guess I shouldn't be so harsh because the show does teach the beginning Inventor or entrepreneur what there up against in trying to get there Inventions into the marketplace.

As for the young man Kyle there is a good reason he was featured on Pitchmen.

If you watched American Inventor season (1) Kyle was the young man with the car cooler.

I taped both seasons of American Inventor but I could not find the tape I was looking for, so I went through the ISpot.com achieves to make sure I was correct & this is what I found.

DID THE FIRST SHOW SUCK?

Jay1031 | 2006-03-17 17:41 | cooler

It was solar powered yes they did. But there is one on the market allready.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-03-17 09:47 | So its not the best Show But.....

Like everybody else says, this show has its problems BUT there are a lot worse out there. As for the kid Kyle he does have a good idea but most people Dont leave there pets in a hot car give him an A for effort also this product would be great for cars that DONT HAVE AC old school VW Bug comes to mind so lets not discount his idea.

You have to give the kid Kyle credit for NEVER GIVING UP 8) :lol:

Pitchmen most likely remembered him from the American Inventor season (1) plus he is the type of person they could take under there wing & couch him to do it there way.

I also liked how they got around the conflict of Interest Issue by going to Billy's promoter.

Kyle handled himself like a pro - 100 times better than his couches.

Besides showing how to make a commercial it was about time they showed how to Pitch to VC's & how they look at Ideas/products & what to look out for or what to expect when talking to VC's or what to do at trade shows.

Postby Scrupulous » Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

You know, I thought that kid looked familiar.

Yeah, I decided to give the show one more look and, finally, a very good episode. It's getting closer to revealing production considerations particular to individual projects. I'd like to see it get into packaging, branding, etc.

One thing. I didn't get why he kept on making the spot bigger than the remover...

Re: Pitchmen - Wow

Postby inventor-x » Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Wow, Wow & Wow :shock:

I wish I was the Inventor that collected the $2 million dollars for selling that tool patent :lol:

$13 million & 10 years developing the product & machinery to make that product - Wow :shock:

It’s going to take about 10 years to even break even before you start seeing a profit :oops:

I’m totally shocked & surprised that someone would pay that much for a piece of paper without proving that the Invention worked as it claims to in the patent :shock:

$250 thousand dollars & 2 years to develop a new type of magnet & product to create a useful tool was well spent 8)

This is a great product for the Pitchmen to promote this type of product for an Inventor that’s willing to let someone else get there product into the marketplace for a percentage (which is usually small :x )

Both of these products prove that even putting in big money doesn’t mean that you’re going to be successful unless you’re resourceful knowing your products potential customers & the best way to reach that customer or Introduce that product into the International marketplace 8) :lol:

The dedication of time, effort & money an Inventor puts into an Idea/product is Incredible :D

Let's see if the show gives updates on Inventions/products they promoted :?:

Postby Scrupulous » Thu May 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Alright. After what is it the 5th or 6th episode, I can finally say that I'm a fan of the show.

Billy Mays...you had me at "I wipe with authority!"

Postby inventor-x » Sat May 30, 2009 1:23 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Scrupulous

Okay, please tell me the truth without holding back.

What do really think about the show :?:

KaBoom was promoting one of there products, which seems to be that they get in at least one of there own products on each & every show.

What did you thing about Forbes :?:

What did you thing about Forbes product :?:

What do you thing Forbes should have done or do :?:

Postby Scrupulous » Sun May 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Honestly, I think the show is alright.

Forbes had a decent product...relatively safe and addicting. Poor thing. The muscle dude doing the dance aerobics with the product, though...that was one of the funniest images I have ever witnessed [in my life].

Postby inventor-x » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Scrupulous

I've learned my lesson with you, get factual answers before I post anything that causes any controversy :shock:

I know you will most likely kick me on this one :?:

Forbes product was the prelude to the Yo-Yo :wink:

United States Patent 6033283
Dynamic, spinning, twisting string toys referred to as "humdingers" are disclosed. The toys include at least one highly elastic gel body having at least two holes extending through the body along a selected axis of rotation. The holes are treaded with a string(s) which are twisted and untwisted alternatively by the pulling and releasing action of the strings. The holes are provided with means to resist the shearing forces of the twisting strings. The dynamic effect of the extreme high centrifugal and shearing forces generated during play causes the gel bodies to change shape during spinning. Soft gels or low strength materials can also be substituted in place of the highly elastic gel body provide the body reinforced with shear resistant means to prevent cutting by the twisting and untwisting actions of the string(s).

This patent number does not exist in the USPTO data base :?:

In fact the yo-yo is considered the second oldest toy in history, the oldest being the doll. In ancient Greece, the toy was made of wood, metal and terra cotta. The Greeks decorated the two halves of the yo-y with pictures of their gods. As a right of passage into adulthood Greek children often gave up their toys and placed them on the family alter to pay homage.

Around 1800, the yo-yo moved into Europe from the Orient. The British called the yo-yo the bandalore, quiz or the Prince of Wales toy. The French used the name incroyable or l'emigrette. The word yo-yo is a Tagalog word, the native language of the Philippines, and means 'come back.' In the Philippines, the yo-yo was a weapon for over 400 hundred years. Their version was large with sharp edges and studs and attached to thick twenty-foot ropes for flinging at enemies or prey. People in the United States started playing with the British bandalore or yo-yo in the 1860s. It was not until the 1920s that Americans first heard the word yo-yo. Pedro Flores, a Philippine immigrant, began manufacturing a toy labeled with that name. Flores became the first person to mass-produce yo-yos, at his small toy factory located in California.

Forbes exercise toy has been around for generations :roll:
PreviousNext