FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: Pitchmen

Postby inventor-x » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:23 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

If anyone watched MythBusters before Pitchmen on the Discovery channel, the part with Jamie riding on top of the car & the car was funny has heck :lol:

Swinging free or fly on a car joy ride 8) :lol:

Billy said, I don’t even want to touch it if it can’t make millions :shock:

Mass appeal consumer products in the right price range :?

First: Do you think Billy would have been so supportive of the ICan Insurance commercial if his family wasn’t being used to make the commercial & Billy used some other actors plus the fact Billy probably gets the ICan Insurance for free :?:

Second: Tom, Tommy or Thomas, with the Awesome Auger wasn’t successful with his first commercial either :?: , but the Awesome Auger was one (1) of the most successful Info Commercials ever :?:

I like friends helping friends but don’t blow a friend smoke when they are setting in a wheelchair & tell them there Idea/Invention/Product could make $10 million dollars :?

Third: Ron Komorowski, you are a class act, nice job 8) :lol:

Your first commercial wasn’t successful for you either :?:

I still think using (EMT's) Emergency Medical Technicians using your Handy Strap carrying apparatus to negotiate stairs with a 300 to 400 pound person with a gurney would have made the Pitchmen think twice about Pitching your product :?:

Maybe show someone using your Handy Straps trying to assist someone in a wheelchair negotiating stairs :?:

Maybe Five (5) gallon paint buckets & how many :?:

Pitchmen knew going into any negotiations with Ron that the selling point was over the Pitchmen $19.99 price point :?:

The Pitchmen could have done without the segment with the stage hands saying negative things about the product :?

I have to ask, was Handy Straps pulling the ship :?:

Ron, I had to think about it over night, but I have an Idea for your Invention & how to Pitch it 8) :lol:

When it comes to moving I am the first person anyone calls, I’ve been described as a human Tetris in live motion 8) :lol:

It may require a new Idea/Invention on your part & I want NO credit for the Idea 8)

I keep thinking about stairs or people with one (1) hand :?:

Bags of groceries or for carrying something bulky like a television up or down stairs :?:

My Idea/Invention would be to create a carrying tray that your Handy Straps hooked into so you could carry a couple of bags of groceries, a box or a medium size television Hands Free if need be to hold onto the railing :?:

On the bright side of things you got your foot in the door with the Pitchmen, my hats off to you if that’s where you want to be :?:

Ron, never give up because you do have a great Idea/Invention/Product you just need to think of how the average person needs your product & what will make them use it 8) :?:

Postby inventor-x » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:23 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

Discovery channel is having a Pitchmen Marathon today in honor of Billy Mays with a new episode at its normal weekly viewing time.

Tonight's show is the season final of the show.
Last edited by inventor-x on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby inventor-x » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

Did you see it :?:

It looks like nobody posted anything about this Info :?:

Did anyone here apply :?:

Discovery Channel - Thursday Nights 9pm

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen

Pitchmen 2

New Episodes

In new season of PITCHMEN, Anthony "Sully" Sullivan tries to pick up the pieces and continue making inventors' dreams come true after the sudden death of his longtime friend and pitch-partner Billy Mays. Sully scours the country, holding "Pitch-a-Thons" to give everyday inventors a shot at catching his eye with their simple solutions to common problems.

Each episode will feature the good, bad, and hilarious ideas that Sully comes across and we'll follow the inventions from first pitch to final commercial to see if the risk pays off for their dare-to-dream inventors.
From razors to wrenches, the products featured this season are more revolutionary — and, at times, outlandish — than ever before.
But will they have what it takes to hit it big?

CHECK THE TV SCHEDULE

Episode 1: PASSING THE TORCH
Premiered August 19
A former marine with a bright idea thinks he can revolutionize the flashlight. And Sully puts his life on the line for an inventor carrying on his father's lifesaving legacy.

Featured Products:
— THE HEXLIGHT hands-free flashlight.
— COLD FIRE, a non-toxic, biodegradable liquid fire-extinguisher in a can.

Episode 2: HEART WRENCH
Premiere: Thursday, August 26 @ 9 pm E/P
It's a rocky road for 16-year-old boy, and survivor of 5 heart surgeries, who invents a cool tool. Successful Inventor brothers roll the dice on a new invention. And a victim of identity theft invents a way to combat electronic pickpockets.

Featured Products:
— SELECT-A-WRENCH multi-tool.
— Identity Stronghold's SECURE SLEEVE that protects credit cards from electronic pickpockets.
— CLEAN SWEEP, the successor to the hit Swivel Sweeper.

Episode 3: BEAR MARKET
Premiere: Thursday, September 2 @ 9 pm E/P
Inventors gamble everything on a revolutionary razor. A man creates a snack food safe that puts Sully on a closed set with a hungry Grizzly. And celebrity DJ Kennedy pitches her friend Dr. Drew Pinsky an invention designed to keep prescription drugs safe.

Featured Products:
— RX LOCKER that keeps prescription medication away from kids.
— FRIDGE LOCKER stops co-workers from stealing your snacks.
— SHAVEMATE, the six-blade razor with shaving cream injected into the handle

Episode 4: From The Jaws of Victory
Sully sifts through thousands of inventions to find a robot whisk, but design problems loom. A man's desire to make his wife's life easier leads to a sharp food wrap invention. And a fitness fanatic pitches Sully gravity-defying workout boots.

Episode 5: The Cutting Edge
A young inventor hooks Sully with a collapsing trashcan but a manufacturing short cut may destroy the product's future. Two friends think a simple piece of plastic can keep you safe from intruders. A legendary knife man gets a chance at one last pitch.

The Psychology of Selling
By Jessika Toothman HowStuffWorks.com

More on How Pitchmen Work

INFOMERCIALS 101 | BUY ME! | ARE WE GULLIBLE?

Imagine you are producing a TV commercial to sell a product that might make you millions of dollars. You have mere seconds to capture the viewer's attention before their hovering finger thunderously descends on the channel button -- and that appeal has to occur continuously throughout the program for any new viewers just tuning in.

And while all of this is going on, you have to retain audience attention by striking the perfect balance between entertainment, earnestness and education.

Infomercials need to fully inform viewers of the nature of the product at hand, but there also needs to be a certain amount of suspense to keep them watching. This means gradually doling out -- and creatively rehashing -- the benefits of the product, while interspersing the program with convincing testimonials and frequent descriptions of ways to order.

So there's a lot going on during an infomercial. What effects does that have psychologically on the consumer? And what are the key elements to make sure these psychographic sparks keep ignited?

Over, and Over, and Over

With the blitz of marketing assaulting us from all angles, consumers often tune out some of the noise (to retain our sanity and keep our savings accounts intact if nothing else!). Similar to Internet users' adaptation of "ad blindness," so too do people have the tendency to space out during sales pitches that don't pique their interest.

Because of this, repetition is a fundamental part of the standard infomercial format. By repeatedly driving home the benefits and purchasing information of a product, commercial producers are able to increase the chance that someone will be hooked -- and have the information they need to buy.

The Power of Emotions

We covered how they get viewers watching, but how is the actual sale made? One of the main components is the use of subconscious cues. These don't have to be secretly embedded between split-second frames; you can be subconsciously swayed by a variety of things -- maybe a celebrity on a quiet beach talking about how the product they're hawking gave them tranquility and inner peace. The gentle surf and the sunny sky might help build feelings of happiness and serenity in you, and that could make all the difference if you're having trouble deciding whether to buy.

Convincing testimonials of enthusiastic people emphatically conveying how lost they were until this product changed their lives? Canned applause or whistles and cheers from live audience members who're supposedly quickly becoming converted? These too have the power to produce an emotional reaction in potential customers -- and that enthusiasm can mean a sale is all the more likely.

Let's Make a Deal

Another feature common to infomercials is the call to action. This is where the celebrity, spokesperson or narrator urges prompt action while getting down to the business of laying out the deal. Anyone familiar with infomercials knows what to expect at this point. Even though this common psychological sales tactic is pretty obvious, it can still feel good to see the price dropping while the amount of loot you're getting keeps increasing. Throw in a little $19.95 action for good measure, and the product's saleability could skyrocket.

Another fundamental to all infomercials? Pleas of immediacy. Pick up the Phone! Act Now! Call in the next few minutes to receive a bonus gift! These help spur people to act instead of mulling it over or mentally moving right along.

Everybody Else is Doing It...

Long-time infomercial writer Colleen Szot recognized one small change could make a major difference. By changing the conventional call to action "Operators are waiting, please call now" to "If operators are busy, please call again."

This small tweak insinuated wild popularity of the product at hand; that so many individual viewers had been won over it was time for YOU to call, too! This simple tweak also created a fellowship of people with a common interest: to be one of the people who wanted or needed the product.

Of course, there are thousands of theories and concepts around the psychodynamics of direct marketing and selling in general. More related info from HowStuffWorks.com is below.

More to Explore from HowStuffWorks.com

Re: TV-doc series looking for Large Inventors!

by HYP » 06 Oct 2009 19:46
please send all submissions and inquiries to matta@halfyardproductions.com

It looks like Matt's show was produced :?

Maybe next year someone will post the info about the show sooner :?
Last edited by inventor-x on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

...still a good show.

Postby inventor-x » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:24 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

I missed the show - but I heard about it after the fact.

It just would be nice to see Information posted before something happens Instead of always finding out after the fact.

Maybe someone that visits the forum might enter a contest or show - Instead of sitting on the sidelines watching & talking about the contest or show,

Thank goodness they have & play re-runs :)

Postby inventor-x » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:37 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

If you watch the show & are a forum member it would be nice to start & see forum members commenting on the show or products.

What did you think about the Wrench Idea :?:

Are you ready for the CHIP World :?: :?: :?: :?:

Computer CHIP's are in everything now a days from something you wear in clothing to something you carry & soon to be Installed in you & I thing the first big push will be in children, it is for their safety & they have NO rights to fight that if it is Implemented.

The show is scheduled to be on tonight, but it's a NO show tonight.

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I like what they did with the wrench, to work around the version they said was patented. I figured the patented version must've relied on using the case as a stop.

I would've liked to see the show contact the patent holder and see if they'd be willing to work out a deal. I mean after all, isn't that what it's all about?

Postby inventor-x » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:52 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

Show Update

I sent an e-mail after not seeing the show airing for a few weeks as scheduled.

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for contacting Discovery Channel. We sincerely appreciate you
taking the time to write us and for your interest in Pitchmen.

Please know that new episodes of Pitchmen will be returning on Discovery
Channel. We ask that you continue to visit
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen/ for updated scheduling information.

Thank you for expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
Discovery Channel

A reply to this message will not be answered. If you have additional
questions or comments, please go to our webform at
http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations.

Postby ATtheLake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:39 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

I loved the show. I am disappointed that it looks bleak for future episodes.. Even with anything bad to be said about the show it is related to the invention and product development field which there is not much information on, that readily easily avalialbe as turning on you television.

Postby ATtheLake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

Just Curious??

has anyone on here had an opportunity to pitch their product to Telebrands or one of A.J.'s brothers companies??

just wondering about your experiences
PreviousNext