FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: Pitchmen

Postby inventor-x » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

I did a little more research & this is what is on the schedule for Pitchmen

Pitchmen

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/weekly.html

Feb 01, 7:00 pm

Pitchmen
From the Jaws of Victory
TV-PG (L), CC

Sully sifts through thousands of inventions to find a robot whisk, but design problems loom. A man's desire to make his wife's life easier leads to a sharp food wrap invention. And a fitness fanatic pitches Sully gravity-defying workout boots.

Feb 08, 7:00 pm

Pitchmen
The Cutting Edge
TV-PG (L)

A young inventor hooks Sully with a collapsing trashcan but a manufacturing short cut may destroy the product's future. Two friends think a simple piece of plastic can keep you safe from intruders. A legendary knife man gets a chance at one last pitch.

The schedule only seems to go two (2) weeks at a time.

Hopefully Tania is somewhere in the scheduled line-up for the show in the future :?:

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I missed the first half of last night's episode...was it good?

I'm Ken Campbell, a registered US patent practitioner at the Affordable Patent Service.

As a forum moderator, though, any input I provide should be considered general information, and not legal advice. The ideas I express are not necessarily the opinions of InventorSpot.com or its affiliates. In general, any action taken as a result of information, analysis, or advice from any forum members on this site is ultimately the user's responsibility.

Postby inventor-x » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Scrupulous

I missed some of the episode on January 25th because I kept getting Interrupted.

The beginning of the episode on February 1st was Interesting with the over (3+) thousand mailed in Inventions that Inventors sent in for consideration for the TV show & the potential for Pitchmen to make money on that would also be good TV entertainment.

Someone from the Discovery Channel must be reading the InventorSpot.com forums because when I mentioned that if you miss the show when it airs that you could catch the repeat re-runs & then the Discovery Channel quits running the repeat re-runs - WHY :?:

I wonder what the reasoning is WHY the Discovery Channel does not play repeat re-runs of Pitchmen when they play repeat re-runs of shows made years ago :?:

I also wonder WHY the Discovery Channel does not give out more than (2) weeks notice of programming at a time :?:

Is to pull or cancel the show at a moments notice :?:

The best I can research is the show will air on the Discovery Channel on Tuesdays at 7:00 pm until March 8th 2011.

Postby Gizmo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Gizmo

Pitchmen tonight should be a good one.
One of our friends wil be on it.....Tania

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4311&start=40
Last edited by Gizmo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby inventor-x » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Tania

Pitchmen was the perfect venue for your simple Idea/Invention/Product.

Great pitch, It was spot on & a defiant 10 in the marketplace.

Right venue, timing with a perfect pitch with a simple Idea/Invention/Product.

The perfect fix to any bag doing away with the bag clip & reducing the need for taking up space.

Your Idea/Invention/Product is the perfect extension from what you would see on certain types of bags that have tabs on the sides of some of the bags that are already on the marketplace with the same concept like Coffee & Flour bags etc….

Speaking of space - If NASA does not have side tabs on all their bags they use in space already - I bet they will be using your simple Idea/Invention/Product in the up & coming missions & NASA will be send them up to the space station & to the moon 8)

Your simple Idea/Invention/Product would be perfect for the Military for multiple applications while taking up little space on the soldiers 8)

I believe the Military already uses bags with tabs for K Rations which is more like Everest Mountain hiking & camping type rations :)

Your simple Idea/Invention/Product just went from a simple Idea/Invention/Product to the top of the world & beyond to space & the moon & maybe mars someday 8)

Congratulations Tania - 100% Success 8)

Don’t take this wrong, I mean this in a good way.

Pitchmen was the perfect venue for your simple Idea/Invention/Product & to your success.

Your simple Idea/Invention/Product would have been difficult to license or get into the Primary Marketplace on your own.

If you had finished products for the marketplace like Jack, you would have been successful in the Secondary Marketplace providing your have determination like Jack’s determination to be successful with his simple Idea/Invention/Product.

On another note:

If anyone missed this week’s episode show of Pitchmen you missed a good episode of Pitchmen.

The Electric SkateBoard - Nice Free Advertising Thanks to Pitchmen 8)

Good public exposure can be the key to any Inventors Success with a simple Idea/Invention/Product.

Postby ATtheLake » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:19 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

I caught tonights episode with the two exercise inventions, I find inspiration in the show to keep working on ideas

Postby inventor-x » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

I missed the episode on March 1st - I hope it was Entertaining :?:

What I liked about the last couple of episodes was that Pitchmen went out of its comfort zone of products for $20.00 or less.

In going outside of Pitchmen’s comfort zone Pitchmen went into the Big Money exercise arena.

Reality Television Summary:

1.) American Inventor which is why this website was created in my opinion was about the Inventor & the Inventions as well as TV Entertainment.

American Inventor did a terrible job of Advertising & Promoting the first season but did better for the second season.

Los Angeles - March 19th
San Francisco - March 25h
Chicago - March 30th
NYC - April 4th
Orlando - April 9th
Houston - April 13th

The big drawback to American Inventor was the $50,000 dollar Investment that went to Re-Designing the Idea/Invention/Product being submitted & presented on the show which DOES NOT really make it YOUR Idea/Invention/Product anymore by legal Definition it makes it a joint (Co-Inventor) Idea/Invention/Product.

2.) Shark Tank is just TV Entertainment & I really do not know if anyone really benefits from the show.

Shark Tank did a terrible job of Advertising & Promoting the show on all aspects & still does in my opinion.

3.) Pitchmen was about making BIG money on Inventions & the art of Pitching products & the art of making TV Commercials for products.

Out of the three (3) Inventor Reality Television shows Pitchmen was the most Educational & Entertaining television show for getting any product into the marketplace.

Pitchmen also did a terrible job of Advertising & Promoting the show on all aspects.

I hope the Discovery Channel plays Re-runs of Pitchmen for all to learn from.

I also hope that in the future ANY Inventor Related TV show does a better job of Advertising & Promoting the show WAY BEFORE ANY Audition’s begin so Inventors have a chance to Audition for that TV show if so desired with a posted copy of the Legal Contract so Inventors DO NOT waste anymore time & money then needed or EXPOSE their Idea/Invention/Product Un-Necessarily taking the chance of Infringement possibilities or Out-Right Stealing their Idea/Invention/Product from them.

Postby jackbnimble56 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:36 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

I put Pitchmen in the same category as Shark Tank and Everyday Edisons. They are primarily entertainment pure and simple! They are so far removed from the ACTUAL process of getting products licensed that they border on insulting. Every time I think of Pitchmen I think about that young kid who was something like 16 years old who had a (very unrealistic) idea of some spot removing system. It involved placing a pad saturated with some sort of spot removing chemical under a NEWLY CREATED (as opposed to "dried in") stain on a garment like a shirt. You then placed a vacuum plunger type device over the area and pulled back on a plunger creating a vacuum that sucked the spot remover through the fabric and Presto! The spot is magically gone! The mere fact that this kid even got an audience with AJ Khubani himself is laughable! Oh but wait, there's more! The kid also had some tragic back story about losing his father or some other tragic event that was putting he and his mom in some sort of dire financial straits. Yeah, I'm sure if you go to the Telebrands website to submit a product they'll care to hear about all your personal problems! If you believe that I have a bridge for sale in NY that you might like!

And speaking of Pitchmen and Everyday Edisons, you may want to check out this little piece on yahoo about 10 Products to Avoid for 2011:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/10- ... toViewer=1

Tops on the list: Mister Steamy which Edison Nation loves to tout as one of their "Successes". And while we’re on the subject of EN, check out these reviews of the Emery Cat which EN touts as another success:

http://honestinfomercialreviews.com/pet ... nt-page-1/

http://www.amazon.com/Emery-Cat-EC01110 ... ewpoints=1

And coming in at Number 2 for Products to Avoid in 2011...
wait for it... wait for it... The Jupiter Jack!! Courtesy of? PITCHMEN!!

I've made no secret of the fact that I have MANY reservations about the whole DRTV approach to bringing products to market. That's mainly because these guys take what are often well designed products and cheapen the hell out of them to cut production costs to the bone so they can swoop in with their deceptive marketing and ordering processes (go to Telebrands and try ordering Shoes Under and see what happens!) to make the fast money before all the rubes out there realize they've been taken! In the case of the Emery Cat (2 out of 5 stars with 100 reviews!) people have reported incidents where their cats have eaten the fibers that come off the product and have nearly died and in one case a cat ended up losing a couple of claws! Would YOU want your name associated with a product like that?

I have one more example from personal experience and that's the Tool Bandit also from Pitchmen. Just Google it and you can see a video in which Billy Mays shows how it can hold a 25 pound plate for a barbell set. I'll tell you what, I’ll send you the Tool Bandit that I bought and I'll pay you a hundred dollars if you can stick a 25 pound weight on it and hold it over your foot for 10 seconds. But before you take me up on that, make sure you have a good orthopedic surgeon!

Jack

P.S. In the time it took me to write this post two orders came in for the Magic Toob...
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby ATtheLake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:11 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

:D Jack!

Once again, i think we are brothers from other mothers... Couldn't agree more, again! Although I do love Pitchmen and Sharktank ... But I will say as a sales type od guy.. I gotta say go with what works at first and then when you got the million bucks, try to reinvent the wheel... Just my humble advice... The only thing I can say is my experiences in the inventing / ip business are similar to the real estate renovation business... 75 percent prep behind the scenes work and the little part left final touches, sales and negotiation of taking a slight bit less than what a premium buyer will pay! If that makes sense..

Postby ATtheLake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

Also,

Did anyone on here catch that episode of preview shark tank... The first guy was totally obnoxious and the last guy with over a million invested In his wine by the disposable glass was classic! I think geez, why didn't I come up with this one? Never the less it is a notable idea... 3million for 51 percent of ip property? I actually agreed with the guy in not selling for that amount, believe it or not.. The sharks said he was crazy for not taking that dream 600K or whatever offer, but Really? I think he was on to more than that, and so did he? Did you guys see how hard that guy was sweat in it? Practically dripping..
PreviousNext